shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie asking questions for first real diamond purchase

Maloney

Rough_Rock
Hey all!

I am newly signed up to this forum though I have been reading your posts for a while. I would be really appreciative of some helpful advice from you diamond-savvy people! :wavey:

In short, I am having to end my engagement which is heartbreaking, but I won't go into that side of it now. What I would love to know is some things about diamonds. I had a moissanite engagement ring but secretly craved a diamond and now I'll be alone I have decided to cheer myself up by buying a small diamond ring for my right hand! :appl: to kind of soften the blow of loneliness and because hey, why should I wait for a man? Now I won't have a huge budget (sadly, but I have drooled over Brian Gavin's diamonds forever and if I find love again - no, WHEN, this is where I will be dragging my future husband-to-be...), but I wanted to know:

1) if there are some good second hand places online (I know of Diamond Bistro but I have obviously never used it, worried it might not be safe for a buyer?)?

2) I have my heart set on a hearts and arrows cut. Can you discern the beautiful distinctive pattern in a 0.5-0.6 carat diamond (I doubt I can afford bigger)?

3) Will excellent cut make a big difference compared to a very good cut in this size range?

4) What do I need to take into accout when it comes to table etc - are there basic ranges I should look for/avoid?

5) Will the Sl1 be obvious when I look closely on a smaller diamond such as the size I am considering? Or is it best to go for VS2? I am pretty sensitive to detail.

6) Any other tips you wish someone had given you before you bought your first diamond?

Many many thanks!

Maloney x

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
Hi Maloney :wavey:

I am so sorry to hear about your engagement - personally, I think it's a really nice idea to treat yourself with a little gift. I actually did the same thing after a breakup years back and I still have the diamond pendant (unfortunately I hadn't discovered pricescope back then so I can't say the necklace itself was a great investment, but it helped me feel better at the time!) These things have a funny way of turning into great and positive turning points in peoples lives, even when they don't seem so great at the time :)

1. As for sites to use, I have not used Diamond Bistro, but I did use Loupe Troop once and I had a really good experience. There are of course no guarantees on sites like this as you are dealing directly with people that you don't know, sending them money and trusting them to send you what you ordered, but my transaction was totally smooth and I received exactly what I expected.

2. I have definitely seen 0.5 ct stones with distinctive visual symmetry. Even when they are not branded as hearts and arrows, there are plenty of very symmetrical stones out there that you may find will fit the bill just fine.

3. Cut will always matter and there are lots of tools available here to help judge the cut of the stone. If you definitely want to buy secondhand then you would need to be sure to buy a certified (GIA or AGS certification) stone and have that info from the certification first so that you can evaluate. If the stone is secondhand chances are you will not have access to ASET images unless the person already had them, but you can use the info from the certification and plug into the HCA tool.

4. (Someone else here will need to chime in on this, but I think generally on here people prefer smaller tables as it helps create more scintillation in the stone)

5. When it comes to clarity, you will have to evaluate the kinds of inclusions (less visible white inclusions, dark carbon inclusions, etc) and then see the stone, or receive word from someone who can see it regarding how eye-clean it is in person. Your chances are good at SI1 of finding stones that are eye-clean - I would not say that you should exclude SI1 stones from your search.

Are you only interested in buying secondhand? Would you mind sharing your budget? I bet everyone would be happy to help you look for a stone. Also, are you color sensitive? The color will greatly impact the price as well and depending on how you see color, you might be able to get a better cut/clarity/size if you go lower in color :mrgreen:

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
There's a site called "I do now I don't" and they sell second hand rings (mostly engagement, but I've seen others there too). I believe their process is a little more secure. Once you find a ring, you correspond with the owner via private message through the site and if you come to an agreement on price - you send the money to the management of I do now I don't and the ring is also sent to them for verification. They have a gemologist? who makes sure the ring is what it was said to be. Then once it's checked out it is sent to you and the money is sent to the buyer. I understand they do not refund money though - I think you have to buy something on their site as replacement.

If you go to their webpage - read through their "About" page and find out all the details of their service. I have never used them, so I can't comment on a personal experience. I have contacted several sellers before asking questions about their rings but never made a purchase.

Problem is that a lot of sellers ask almost retail prices for their rings which I would not pay! They show appraised value and then list their price trying to make it look like it's a bargain compared to appraised value! Usually appraised value on a ring is much higher than what anyone paid retail to begin with. I would have to find someone willing to negotiate or I"d buy new. (which is what I did!)

Be careful too - there are sellers with clarity enhanced stones. It will say it in the description usually.

Maloney

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much both! Really helpful information. And yes, I think I deserve a little pick-me-up diamond as a comfort for my broken heart!
I am not 100% sure of my budget yet but *certainly* under $2000 as I am buying from the United Kingdom and there will also be import taxes (but diamonds are much more expensive here so it still makes sense). Ideally no more than $1500. It's an unjustifiable splurge full-stop but there is no one to stop me :)

Having scouted the second hand sites I am actually leaning towards getting a stone just under 0.5 from Brian Gavin as I really love everything I have seen from them and they have a few stones in the range I am considering - which would be D-I and VS2 and up clarity. I am pretty colour sensitive (but should be ok up to I esp if a blue flourescence stone, as I would be so thrilled to have a stone from BG) and I know I would be inspecting the stone closely for inclusions (even though I don't want to!) and once I find some I will be troubled by it, so best to avoid that risk. I would ask about the clarity in VS2 before buying to ensure it definitely is eye clean.
Unfortunately they don't have any in between about .408 and .5 at the moment, so there is a huge price jump of about $500 and I was hoping to find something in between, so I might just wait a week or two and see what they can offer. I don't really want to go for the advance order as I was hoping to bring a few options onto here and ask for opinions on what the AGS cert says :angel:

That said, I have also seen a fantastic H&A cut round brilliant (def want a round one) from Whiteflash on here somewhere and I don't know anything about them so hope someone might be able to educate me on that!

I want to get the setting separately, I just want a simple white gold slim band, one that tapers off near the stone (is that what is called a shank?), I guess it's safest to get six prongs? But I love a 4 prong look. Probably a twisted band!

I might search this forum tomorrow (bedtime in the UK now!) for Brian Gavin rings, or if anyone knows of a thread etc with these diamonds in? I am also keen for this blue range as long as a sales rep can confirm to me that the ones I am interested in display H&A, I have read that not all do.

Still very keen for more advice :))
Night night!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Maloney - buying from a vendor like Brian Gavin or Whiteflash might be a good move considering it might not be the last diamond ring you own :razz: Check out their buy back policies, the diamond you get could be something you enjoy now as well as being a stepping stone to something bigger later on.

Maloney

Rough_Rock
A very good point indeed! And I was going to add I have been looking specifically at the Signature collection at BG and the Blue as well but I can't compromise on the hearts and arrows :) I love the idea of blue fluorescence though! And I certainly hope it won't be the last... But hopefully the next one after this will be bought for me (at some point in the future...) ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maloney|1453422026|3979402 said:
I might search this forum tomorrow (bedtime in the UK now!) for Brian Gavin rings, or if anyone knows of a thread etc with these diamonds in? I am also keen for this blue range as long as a sales rep can confirm to me that the ones I am interested in display H&A, I have read that not all do.

Night night!

Do a search for BGD. And Brian Gavin on here. We have a good search function. I encourage you to use it.

Maloney

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453445706|3979578 said:
Maloney|1453422026|3979402 said:

Night night!

Do a search for BGD. And Brian Gavin on here. We have a good search function. I encourage you to use it.

Thanks Gypsy, you are absolutely right, I struggled to find it (using my iphone) but I am trawling through now and there is a great thread where you give lots of really useful advice. Perhaps it comes across as lazy asking questions, it's just hard to find the exact info I'm looking for sometimes, juggling work, childcare, a break-up and studying (the very last gasp before I hopefully get my degree!) :loopy:

Sooo, could I ask a question? From all the information I have read, it sounds as though the benefit of the H&A ideal cut is that it performs better in low lighting, fire-wise. I love the arrows in the H&A diamonds but it appears that they are equally visible in the BGD Blue range. Would a diamond from their signature selection have more fire than a diamond from their Blue selection?
And would I be better off choosing an advance diamond (talking about the Signature BGD range here) as these seem lower in price, or am I risking getting on with less fire and brilliance that way? Or can I not really go wrong with the signature range (I am guessing the super ideal is what the Signature selection stands for as no stones seem to be actually stating 'super ideal')?

Thanks in advance :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:)

Lots of questions.

First, advance selection isn't going to be any less firey than the ones in stock now. And personally, I'd capitalize on the savings if there is something that fits your budget and spec range.

Second, it depends on the individual "Blue" stone but the majority I've seen listed have been SO close to the signature line I'm guessing that someone other than Brian, who has years of experience, would be hard pressed to tell the difference. But there have been a few that aren't that close. So just post the ones you are looking at.

Third, Brian has a very tight range of specs that he would consider putting his name on, so many of the stones are going to very comparable. And Lesley his wife trains all their Customer Service staff and she is excellent. So if you are torn between stones or want some advice, OF COURSE we are here, but also do not neglect to use them as a resource. Part of what you are paying for is that great customer service, so take advantage of that.

Maloney

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453501759|3979932 said:
:)

Lots of questions.

First, advance selection isn't going to be any less firey than the ones in stock now. And personally, I'd capitalize on the savings if there is something that fits your budget and spec range.

Second, it depends on the individual "Blue" stone but the majority I've seen listed have been SO close to the signature line I'm guessing that someone other than Brian, who has years of experience, would be hard pressed to tell the difference. But there have been a few that aren't that close. So just post the ones you are looking at.

Third, Brian has a very tight range of specs that he would consider putting his name on, so many of the stones are going to very comparable. And Lesley his wife trains all their Customer Service staff and she is excellent. So if you are torn between stones or want some advice, OF COURSE we are here, but also do not neglect to use them as a resource. Part of what you are paying for is that great customer service, so take advantage of that.

Thank you so much. I have talked to a lovely customer service lady and I think I will end up going with a stone from the blue collection. I also love the idea of a blue tint in some lights! She said they are cut as super ideals as well and have the same light return etc so for me as a novice I couldn't really ask for more :) I will be ready in about 3 weeks or so (earlier if the perfect stone/s seem to come along, apparently they are restocking atm) and I am very excited to be getting a Brian Gavin diamond, which is what I have been yearning for all along. I will post some options on here soon and again I am so grateful for your advice, a million times thanks! :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How are you going to set it?

Maloney

Rough_Rock
I am thinking a dainty white gold band with six prongs (would worry 4 isn't secure enough?). Quite simple but ideally tapering off towards the actual diamond, maybe a twisted band! :) searching for settings on etsy at the moment :) exciting and a great way to take my mind off the engagement disaster!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think BGD has some of the nicest settings anywhere personally. Was there nothing there you liked? Also they do great custom work.

Maloney

Rough_Rock
I have only had a quick look the other day and it looked a little out of my price range sadly, bearing in mind the whole diamond purchase is already a crazy (but well deserved!) splurge! I might have another look in case I was hasty! Have been looking at stones all evening, it's going to be hard to wait a few weeks! :) have added several to my comparison list already.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results