shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie and need help with proposal idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m new to this forum as I was only recently directed here by my stone''s appraiser, RockDoc. I need some help, however. I''m taking my g/f to Telluride the first week of march for a ski trip and am planning on proposing while there. I''ve been a skier all my life and have skied, literally, all over the world. Although I lived and skied in Colorado for two years, unfortunately, I have never been to or skied Telluride. Because of that, I have no idea of the area, landmarks, etc. and that is making it difficult for me to let my creative juices flow, in terms of how I want to actually propose. I think I''d lke to do it somewhere on the slopes, on the first day we ski (to take the pressure off and let us then enjoy the rest of the vacation).

Any great/creative ideas out there???

Thanks so much, in advance!
MJ

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a pretty setting for a proposal. I''m not sure how good of a skier you GF is, but I was thinking that you guys could start down the mountain and let her get ahead of you. When she turns around to see where you are you could be down on bended ski?? Kind of hard juggling the ring in your ski wear, and pulling it out just in time, but a thought anyways. My other thought is to have the conciege of the hotel help you to plan something out. Kind of out of the movies, but what if you took a ski detour and they could have a table set up for you with champagne and flowers, and you guys could ski up to it and propose there?? Just some thoughts. Good luck!!
1.gif

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Kaleigh...great ideas. My g/f is, at best, a beginner skier. Although I spent some time as a ski patrol and ski instructor (prior to my having to "grow up"
2.gif
), I am trying to convince my g/f to take a half day lesson with the other girls on our trip. We''re heading out to Telluride with two other couples. I was hoping to use that time to "scout out" some possible locations for the actual proposal and set up one of my buddies to act as photographer!

Here was my original thought...please everyone let me know what you think of it. Telling me it''s "cheesy" will not hurt my feelings, since I thought that it might be!

My g/f has never seen me ski, but she''s obviously familiar with my ability due to my "past life" and love of the sport. I just recently tore my ACL playing flag football in a city league and underwent surgery in early December to repair the ligament. I''ve been rehabbing hard and am working diligently to get it into shape to ski in March. I tell you this as a preface to my idea...

After pulling her out of her group ski lesson and taking her somewhere up the mountain to a run where not too many people are skiing, I would tell her that I wanted to "show off" for her a bit and let her watch me ski down pretty aggressively for a hundred yards or so. After taking off and leaving her behind to watch I would take a bit of a spill and possibly act like I hurt my knee again. While I don''t want to scare her, this should give me a chance to "set up". It should take her a few minutes to get down to me where I''ll be acting as though I''m hurt and maybe laying on the ground. Upon her arriving, I''ll start telling her how embarrassed I am, etc., etc., and then start telling her how much I love her and all those other romantic things. At that point, I''d get on one knee (hopefully it''ll hold me up) and propose to her then.

So, whatcha think? Any and all thoughts/reactions/recommendations welcomed. This was just a thought and it''s certainly not set-in-stone...so, if you have other/better ideas please let me know.

Again, thanks!
MJ

robdog

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a good idea, but I have a few questions.

Does she like skiing?
Does she like the cold?
Will she be able to get down the mountain safely after you fake fall?

I don''t want to be a nay sayer, but it sounds like that are to many "unknowns" that might get in the way. It definitely sounds like you love skiing and your girl, but you might want to get a setting where she is 100% comfortable.

Either way, good luck with your proposal.

Rob

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
Great questions, Robdog, and ones that I''ve considered (to a certain degree). While she is from Florida, she has been skiing twice and absolutely loves it. My family lives in the Washington DC area and she''s visited there with me on several occassions in the dead of winter and also enjoys the cold weather. If this idea comes to fruition, I certainly wouldn''t take her on a slope that I wouldn''t feel comfortable with her skiing. Additionally, we''re going with two other couples who are very good friends of ours and they all know of the plan (to propose during the trip). We will all be skiing together, so they will all be there to ski down together.

I absolutely agree with your thoughts on the too many "unknowns" and that is why I''m not even convinced that my idea is a good one!! It was just a thought and one that I thought might be a little fun (and hopefully surprising to her). But I appreciate your concerns and will definitely take them to heart.

This is why I decided to post on this forum...all of you knowledgeable/creative people to HELP ME OUT!!
1.gif
I''ve got the timeframe and the location set...other than that, I''m still very open to suggestions. Please keep them coming...I get nervous just thinking about it!!

Thanks!
MJ

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I think the thought you have put into this is very sweet. I have one concern though. What if she see you ad thinks that you are hurt and in her rush to get to you (being frantic thinking you are hurt) she may fall and hurt herself. Even if it is an easier slope if she is panicked she could fall pretty easily. Also, if you do propose on an easier slope there may be other people that would come if they heard a yell and then you could have a crowd when you really want a private moment. Just some things to think about. I love Kaleigh''s idea of taking a detour and "accidentally" coming upon some really romantic setting. Then, if the friends are close, you could have them ski up to you after you have had some private time and they can take pictures, oooh and aaah over the ring, and toast with champagne. Another thing to think about is that the ring might be a little big because her hands will be cold. It might be nice to have a chain ready so she can wear it around her neck while she skis without risking losing it if it is a little too big. Good luck!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I don''t really like the worry moment thing. I''m not sure how I''d react to that. You also said your friends would be there at the moment of the proposal. Have you thought about proposing to her alone? My recommendation would be to take her up somewhere where to view is breathtaking, alone, and get down on one knee and propose to her there. Then share the good knew with your friends! I know this idea is more "boring", sorry...

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies and your opinions, I appreciate them all. I hadn''t even thought about the ring being too big for her finger. Actually, I had thought just the opposite though. I was thinking that due to the dehydration associated with being at altitude as well as the exersion of skiing that the body (and her hands) would tend to swell. I was actually thinking that the ring might be too small!! Either way, you''re right...I want the moment to be right..and special...and romantic and Kaleigh''s idea might be the best so far.

These are very good friends of ours, and one couple just got engaged over the new year, and I do think that my g/f would enjoy having them (hopefully) celebrate in the moment with us. I mean, they don''t necessarily need to be right there while I propose, but I do think that everyone, including my g/f, would find it nice to have them nearby to enjoy the time. I may be wrong, but who knows?

This is such an exciting time for me and I can''t wait to make it happen...however it ends up happening! Thanks for all of the great ideas, and suggestions, and for making me actually think it through rather than come up with some lame idea that doesn''t pan out the way I''ve drawn it up in my head!

MJ

And by the way, anchor31, your idea is not "boring" as you say. Very romantic, and sentimental, indeed.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2006 3:03:49 PM
Author: indecisive
I think the thought you have put into this is very sweet. I have one concern though. What if she see you ad thinks that you are hurt and in her rush to get to you (being frantic thinking you are hurt) she may fall and hurt herself. Even if it is an easier slope if she is panicked she could fall pretty easily. Also, if you do propose on an easier slope there may be other people that would come if they heard a yell and then you could have a crowd when you really want a private moment. Just some things to think about. I love Kaleigh''s idea of taking a detour and ''accidentally'' coming upon some really romantic setting. Then, if the friends are close, you could have them ski up to you after you have had some private time and they can take pictures, oooh and aaah over the ring, and toast with champagne. Another thing to think about is that the ring might be a little big because her hands will be cold. It might be nice to have a chain ready so she can wear it around her neck while she skis without risking losing it if it is a little too big. Good luck!
You just made my idea even better. How fun to have the friends join you with a toast and take pics!! Sounds like a great plan to me. But I would have the detour on an easier slope especially since she is a beginner, off to the side and private. I''m sure the ski lodge can help to arrange this for you. Good luck and no falling and scaring her.
2.gif

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Caligal...that was nice of you to do that. I think at this point that that will probably be the approach to take as opposed to the proposing while on the slopes. You all have made me think through that a bit and realized that their may be some real obstacles (literally and figuratively) in doing that!

I hadn''t even taken into account how worried she might be and wanting to just enjoy the day on the slopes as opposed to being presented with that. Also, SKI GLOVES...hadn''t even considered that until I talked about it with my friend today at lunch! Along with trying to ski well, I don''t want to burden her with worrying about the ring under her ski gloves and everything too.

I think that I''ll probably look into asking around dinner time, whether it actually be at dinner or on a romantic stroll through the town to dinner...I''ll just have to see! Either way, you all have given me a lot to think about and I appreciate that!

MJ

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock

Well, I think that I have my idea now...

There''s two small towns in Telluride (as I understand it) that are connected by a 13 minute long gondola ride. Long story short, sometime before dinner one night I''m going to go to one of the gondola operators and ask that when we show up that they put us in a gondola by ourselves and have some candles in there, if possible. Then, I''ll ask my g/f if she''d like to take a scenic ride on the gondola to look at the mountains and the towns, etc. prior to our heading to dinner. During our 13 minutes of privacy on the ride is when I plan to propose. Hopefully, she''ll say yes and we''ll then be off to dinner to celebrate with waiting friends!! What do you think?

By the way, I just picked up the ring on Tuesday (Valentine''s Day) and it killed me to have to wait and be patient!! My stomach will be in knots for the next two weeks leading up to our trip...

Anyway, here''s a couple of shots of the ring that I took. It''s a 1.84 F VS1 H&A in a Tacori setting with some slight modifications to the head, etc. I also have to include the obligatory cheesy shot while sitting in a rose (had to sneakily take these pictures while my g/f was out of the house)!!

IMG_0813s.JPG

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
And another one (I really like how the arrows showed up in this one)...

IMG_0814s.JPG

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
One more (to show the channel princess stones and the scalloping)...

IMG_0816s.JPG

mj4fsu

Rough_Rock
And finally, as previously stated, the obligatory cheesy "in the rose shot"...

IMG_0809s.JPG

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
the ring is beautiful - and I am really liking the gondola ride thing. That way you have the privacy (well you and the gondola driver) and then the celebration with waiting friends. Plus neither of you will be in danger of actually injuring yourself on the slopes or have to worry about dropping the ring in the snow and trying to find it again.....

Congrats and Best of Luck!!
21.gif

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
i know i am to late and i cant belive i missed this post.. #1 i ADORE Colorado, and #2 it is my dream proposal...

I would love to be proposed to on the slopes as my boyfriend and i are very fond of the snow too!

however after reading your idea about the gondola.. WOW that would be sooo romantic and special...

we are going to jackson hole in early march too and man i can only wish that he would propose to me, although i am 100% sure that wouldnt happen.

Good luck to you and cant wait to hear how it went.. OHHH and what a beautiful awesome ring...

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful ring, she is going to love it! Your proposal sounds just lovely, mind you I do not like the cold or the snow, which is all around me... live in the wrong country. Have you ever skied around Banff?? Just a ??..... and again wow, wow, wow!!!!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results