shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie - advise needed on this oval please!

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I am looking for some advice, I'm looking for a new engagement ring (my old one was damaged) and I am looking at vintage diamonds. I have found a ring in London and they have sent me a picture, It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to view it in person and as its an oval, I was just reading about the 'bowtie' effect and wanted your opinions on this. The diamond is 2.28 cts, I colour and SI1.

upload-1.jpg

Thanks everyone!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
By this picture alone it looks like there are some dark spots in the diamond, but it is hard to tell :appl:

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
You'd have to see it from different angles to judge the bowtie effect. All ovals have them but on the best cuts, the bowtie is not really that noticeable. The dark spots on the oval in the picture may not be noticeable at all in person.

When you go to see it in person, try to view it under different lighting conditions (i.e., away from the store lights) also.

You're lucky to be able to see it in person.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it come with a lab report?

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Hi

I'm not sure if it comes with a report yet as they have not replied to that query- however they are a very reputable London jewellery, established for over 100 years and their website states all diamonds are certified.

I will definitely look at the ring in different lights when I am in there and let you know what I think.

Thanks
Paula

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly any bowtie is the least of my concerns looking at that pic - the mush at the top and bottom instead of clear facet patterns bothers me far more. The tint of the I will also be more saturated in the mushy areas - that's normal, whether or not it bothers you is something you'll have to decide. One photo is not a good way to judge!

Definitely examine it in various types of lights, compare to other ovals if possible - other shapes if not - and make sure that you consistently choose that particular stone over all others.

ETA - are those black flecks inclusions?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I didn't notice that Yssie. Good catch. Now that you mention it, I can definitely see the tint in the tips. I don't think the photo is the best though.

babooshka, you may want to print out this chart for reference when you visit the shop. It gives some guidelines to the diamond proportions to look for.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/oval-cut-diamond

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results