shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Advice on Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MegganAnn

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to sell a diamond engagement ring soon and I wanted to find out if I was going to get laughed at for my asking price or if my hunches are right on based on the EGL cert and comparable stones I've been seeing.
I know I need an appraisal, but since I just broke up with my fiance I'm not ready for that step. I know about the downfalls of EGL certs - I've been reading posts here for a while.
Just hoping someone can help a newbie out and maybe toughen me up enough to get me moving on my decision to sell or not to sell.

Certificate Type EGL
Shape and Cutting Stye Princess
Measurements 4.55 x 4.07 x 3.23
Weight Carat .48
Color E
Clarity SI2
Depth Percentage 79.40%
Table Percentage 85.00%
Girdle Ex. thin to thick polished
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence None
White gold prongs
Yellow gold band

Should I ask around $2000?

frizzy_dt

Rough_Rock
I did a quick search here on PS and you can easily get a stone with the same or better specs, same size for about $500 - $700.

Noone would pay that much for a private sale.

Sorry, but I think you are thinking of asking way too much.

MegganAnn

Rough_Rock
No reason to be sorry - that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

My next question is, by PS you mean Price Stats right?

frizzy_dt

Rough_Rock
pricescope

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Ok - I am not an apprasier, but I have been in your position lately and have done a lot of research.

From what I can tell - your stone (if an ideal range cut) which I don't know cause I am not an expert, is worth approximately $1056.00. I got this information by looking at a report similar to the Rappaport Charts. http://www.diasource.com/fc040.asp

You could take the amount you see there $2200 - and mulitply that by your size .48 and that's how I got the amount of $1056.

My advice: if you just want to get rid of it - you can sell it, but chances are you won't even get near that price for it. What I did was find a wholesaler who was in the market for diamonds and I traded it for another stone I wanted so I could get rid of the 'bad memories' of the ring. I wanted something much bigger, so I did spend more, but I got a very fair deal. A lot of times wholesalers won't work with the public - but every once in awhile they can do some business in retail markets on the side. He gave me fair market value for my stone and only charged me the difference that it showed right on the Rappaport Report.

It may be a long journey - but you'll do something with it. If you want more help, you can email me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to explain more about it to you.

10.gif

MegganAnn

Rough_Rock
Dancin - thanks, that's such a great idea, and I may very well do it!

The jeweler he purchased it from also offers a "trade up" option, and I have the paperwork on it. No matter how long I've had the ring they'll give me a discount on swapping it for something at least 1 penny over the original sale price. I really could use the money before another ring, but maybe I'll let them cut me a deal on trading it up to something slightly nicer and non-bridal.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Definately do that then! I'd make sure he knows YOU know the true value of the stone so he doesn't try to say it's worth less. Get something nice for yourself and then don't worry about it anymore. I could have used the money too - believe me, but I couldn't see selling it in the paper or ebay and getting anywhere near the actual value. GOOD LUCK!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results