shape
carat
color
clarity

New York trip to look at diamonds

junior76

Rough_Rock
I have been reading the forums a searching for a diamond for about a month now. Thanks for all the information! I feel like I am much better educated to make my diamond purchase. I feel that I will get a better value with the knowledge that I have learned from PS.

I have looked at 30+ diamonds on jewelers row in Philadelphia. My experience with jewels row has been rewarding and I have put a deposit on a custom setting that will be ready in about 3 weeks. I plan to post about my experience with several of the jewelers in Philadelphia after my ER ring has been completed so I can include a review of my complete experience with the jeweler I chose along with the good/bad experiences i had with other vendors on 8th and Sansom. I am looking for an AGS 0 cut or GIA EX with a favorable HCA score and have found the selection to be limited for what I am looking for.

I plan to take the trip to NYC and view a few diamonds that I have selected from James Allen at the end of next week. While in NYC, I will have time to visit other vendors to look at stones as well. Aside from GOG, is there anyone in the NYC area that is recommended for Ideal cut diamonds with value in pricing? When I search diamonds on PS eternity diamonds returns several prospective diamonds but no additional information (ideal scope, etc.). I don't know enough about diamond quality without the tools to make an educated purchase.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks again for making my diamond purchase less stressful!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you are on the right track! I don't think Eternity Diamonds has idealscope but I think they will show you several diamonds. You might want to check out ID Jewelry, I think they have idealscope.

Are you having the setting built for a certain size stone? Usually it is recommended to get the stone first and then the setting so the setting 'fits' the stone.

junior76

Rough_Rock
I am having the ring designed for a center stone from .047 to 0.60. This is a big range in size so the design process cannot be complete until I have picked the center stone. I am hopeful that I will find what I am looking for in the next two weeks so the jeweler can move forward although I am not on a timeline. I plan to propose before the end of the year but NOT at Christmas. My GF is a combat medic in the Army so we have chosen to go with a ring that she can wear at work. The setting is a 6 prong with floral designs with melee diamonds! The concept is perfect for us and I am really excited! I listened to her when she told me what she likes and I think she will be happy with what I have come up with!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
junior76|1316104742|3018256 said:
I am having the ring designed for a center stone from .047 to 0.60. This is a big range in size so the design process cannot be complete until I have picked the center stone. I am hopeful that I will find what I am looking for in the next two weeks so the jeweler can move forward although I am not on a timeline. I plan to propose before the end of the year but NOT at Christmas. My GF is a combat medic in the Army so we have chosen to go with a ring that she can wear at work. The setting is a 6 prong with floral designs with melee diamonds! The concept is perfect for us and I am really excited! I listened to her when she told me what she likes and I think she will be happy with what I have come up with!

Congratulations, it's sounds beautiful!
I just wanted to mention something about the setting. I'm a nurse (my SO a former retired army medic himself) and gloves + pronged rings can be a challenge. I'd make sure the setting is not too high so it doesn't rip through her gloves or get damaged on the job.
Also, powder free gloves are best because the powder gets behind the melee and it can be a challenge to get it out.
Best of luck to you and thank you to your GF for the hard work she does.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results