shape
carat
color
clarity

New York New York!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
If you''re able to spend a little more than $200/night on a hotel - in a great neighborhood away from all the noise & other tourists - you should look into the small but lovely On The Ave Hotel. It''s near some of my favorite brunch spots also -- Sarabeth''s, as someone mentioned (you will have to wait in line on weekends); Good Enough To Eat; Popover Cafe; and others.

What kind of partying do you like to do? live music, dance club, swanky lounge -- all of the above?

I certainly recommend walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and even exploring some of Brooklyn for a day. Also, South Street Seaport is fun, though crowded in warmer months. There are a lot of free outdoor shows (music, movies, etc) in Central Park and throughout the city in the summer - some of them are great. (I don''t think the "River to River" festival schedule is out yet, but do consider that.) There are also many, many street fairs throughout the spring & summer that feature hundreds of booths of different kinds of foods and things to buy. Schedule.

I''m sure I''ll think of more...

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Have fun in NY Delster and Retsled! :D

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster,

You received some wonderful recommendations. Be sure to take a carriage ride through Central Park. DH and I did, it was wonderful!!! The pizza and bagels in New York are killer. My DH had to eat pizza every day.
9.gif

Linda

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for all the recommendations, we are very appreciative!
36.gif

bee - VS not only don't make a band size small enough for me, they don't make a cup size big enough either! They keep trying to persuade me I'm a 36C. Eh, no. Might as well be wearing two hankies on a string for all the use that is
20.gif
2.gif

kalypso and CDNinNYC - burgers, oooh yum
1.gif

po - I think the Pod is turning into a top contender for accommodation. Although I can't be certain as I've been banned from crunching numbers and sussing out hotels until next week (I'm a bit of a worrybunny). Wicked tickets seem to still be available online (although not on Broadwaybox?
33.gif
), we'll probably try and decide this weekend which show to see and book then. Don't want to be disappointed. Definitely off to check out the travel eye-candy thread now...

babymonster - sadly we're gonna miss Fleet Week. Bummer. BF would have loved that. Good to know for again though, thank you
9.gif

CrownJewel - the street fairs sound fantastic, definitely going to drag BF through them
2.gif
The German biergarten could well be in danger, I used to live in Munich and I'm always up for some nostalgia. Duvet sounds hilarious, I wanna go just to say I've experience it! It sounds like The Supper Club in Amsterdam, have you heard of it?

TheBigT - sadly $200 a night is the absolute upper limit for the bulk of the stay, we really can't stretch to more. We may splurge for the last couple of nights if we can save for the first part of the trip though, and we'll definitely check out On the Ave. We love any kind of partying - we're Irish!
3.gif
We're definitely going to check out the swing dancing club bee recommended, we love to dance but not so much into the clubbing scene. We love live music.

nclrgirl - thank you, we will!

Linda W - Hmmmm pizza!!!
18.gif

So we are considering something like this:

First four days in NY, do all the tourist things, stay in a cheap hotel, walk the socks off ourselves

Two days in Philadelphia, check out all the historical attractions, get out of the 'big' city for a couple of days and stay in a posher hotel (we've found some 4* hotels in Philly that are the same price as private rooms in hostels in NY)

Last two days in NY, this time the luxury version. Stay in a nice hotel, go for nice meals, go dancing, see a show on Broadway

Does that sound do-able?

Again, thank you thank you thank you
slider_yourock.gif
taverymuch.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds great. The accomodation is definitely cheaper outside of NYC! You'll have a ball!! If you can, try and stay in the hotel library or the giraffe-they were absolutely amazing and the champagne and snacks in the evening was brilliant. Really romantic hotels! The Fitzpatrick hotel on Lex Ave was great also.

That swing dancing club was brilliant. There were two people who came down from the Manhattan Dance School and taught the basics. The band were amazing also. We're not clubby people also so we just went to some bars most nights.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Delster, if you come to Philly, let me know! I live right downtown, so I can recommend some favorite restaurants and things to do. What dates do you think you might be here? As a Philadelphian, I have to say that it's so exciting when people decide to leave NYC for a day or two to come down here...we always feel kind of like the forgotten stepchild
3.gif
Your trip is going to be fantastic!

ETA: for a good overview of some things to do/see in Philly, check out Philly Fun Guide. It can be a bit difficult to navigate, but it's the most comprehensive thing we have (or at least, that I've found).

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Yay we found a hotel for €154 a night and our room will have cooking facilities in it. It's not exactly very modern but it's clean and it's central and we're happy with that. It's the Eastgate Tower Suites Hotel. And we're going to splash out for our last two nights. So our trip will kind of have two parts - first part is all cheap & cheerful, touristy stuff; second part is luxury hotel, Broadway show, and swanky dinner
1.gif

Octavia will you forgive us if we don't come down to Philly this time? BF thinks it's a waste if I don't see as much as I can my first time in NY and I'm inclined to agree...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great that you found accomodation Deslter
36.gif
36.gif
You''ll have a ball over there.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 4:28:22 PM
Author: Delster
Yay we found a hotel for €154 a night and our room will have cooking facilities in it. It''s not exactly very modern but it''s clean and it''s central and we''re happy with that. It''s the Eastgate Tower Suites Hotel. And we''re going to splash out for our last two nights. So our trip will kind of have two parts - first part is all cheap & cheerful, touristy stuff; second part is luxury hotel, Broadway show, and swanky dinner
1.gif

Octavia will you forgive us if we don''t come down to Philly this time? BF thinks it''s a waste if I don''t see as much as I can my first time in NY and I''m inclined to agree...
You''ll have a wonderful time here!!! Sometimes, I take this city for granted. Like for instance, in my office right behind my desk is a big window which over looks Bryant Park and the library - too bad I''m so consumed with work most days that I usually don''t spin my chair around to take in the sights and sounds of the city. I really am lucky to be in such a fun and vibrant city - I need to be reminded of that from time to time.
2.gif
Anyway, enough of my banter...let me know if you need any other suggestions, but your plan sounds good to me!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys! Yes I''m sure we''ll have a blast
36.gif

BF keeps asking me if I want to go in to see Leon with him. I would like to go in and meet him but then how''s that gonna work cos I don''t want to see the ring before BF proposes with it! Hmmm...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster, how exciting!!!! You will have a wonderful time; I was only there for 4 hours but had fun for sure. Plus you get your new ring; how romantic!!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My hotel recommendation would be the Chelsea Savoy. I don''t think the rooms are too expensive - I think it''s right around your price range.

Personally, I''m really into museums, and NYC has some of the best. I would suggest the American Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim Museum (Frank Lloyd Wright must see!), and the Museum of Modern Art. There are others, but that''s a starting point. Since this will be your first time, I would totally recommend Rockefeller Center, Time Square, and the New York Public Library.

For a nice dinner, I like the Gramercy Tavern an the Union Square Cafe.

Since no trip to New York isn''t complete without some shopping, here are my shopping recommendations;

Century 21 - It''s basically a department store with discounted luxury goods. Personally, I like the Brooklyn store better than the Manhattan store. It doesn''t seem to be as crowded. (Manhattan and Brooklyn)

H&M - If you''ve never been to one, you''re in for a treat. (Fifth Ave.)

Zara - It''s Spain based store. Kind of like a more refined H&M. I like getting trousers and things of that nature from there. They have a fast product turnover, so if you see something you like, get it. (Fifth Ave.)

Of course there are the classic New York stores, but those are 3 of my favorites.

And come to PHILLY!!!! It''s a great city!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My parents personally like the Rittenhouse and the Four Seasons when they come to Philly to visit me.

You must visit Boyds!

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
One New Yorker reporting to duty...

You have received some excellent recommendations - I just wanted to add a couple things...

If you wanna get play tickets on the cheap, there is a ticket booth on Times Square (42nd street) in which you can buy tickets for a variety of Broadway shows the day off. They are usually deeply discounted. The down side is that you will have a limited selection available.

I highly recommend a boat tour or dinning cruise of the city. Manhattan is an island after all and you will be able to really appreciate the city from the water. Really romantic if you do it at night. They will take you very close to the statue of liberty and other landmarks. Unfortunately, after 911 the statue is no longer open to visitors. This is my favorite dinning cruise (tour), we took my mom out for her 50th b-day and she loved it, the boat is all glass and you will be able to appreciate the views from every angle. The food was not bad at all.
http://www.allnewyorktours.com/Body.asp?Page=TourDetails&tour=NYC-W0017
You can find a variety of other tours available from this site.

Also, if you wanted to visit our neighboring Long Island, NY the Long Island Railroad offer one day getaways ( like a one day - no overnight - mini vacation package) to several destinations in Long Island. You can catch the railroad from NYC Penn station. This is very affordable. Check it out http://www.mta.info/lirr/getaways/LongIsland/index.html

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 9:42:03 AM
Author: blushingbride

Date: 4/30/2008 4:28:22 PM
Author: Delster
Yay we found a hotel for €154 a night and our room will have cooking facilities in it. It''s not exactly very modern but it''s clean and it''s central and we''re happy with that. It''s the Eastgate Tower Suites Hotel. And we''re going to splash out for our last two nights. So our trip will kind of have two parts - first part is all cheap & cheerful, touristy stuff; second part is luxury hotel, Broadway show, and swanky dinner
1.gif

Octavia will you forgive us if we don''t come down to Philly this time? BF thinks it''s a waste if I don''t see as much as I can my first time in NY and I''m inclined to agree...
You''ll have a wonderful time here!!! Sometimes, I take this city for granted. Like for instance, in my office right behind my desk is a big window which over looks Bryant Park and the library - too bad I''m so consumed with work most days that I usually don''t spin my chair around to take in the sights and sounds of the city. I really am lucky to be in such a fun and vibrant city - I need to be reminded of that from time to time.
2.gif
Anyway, enough of my banter...let me know if you need any other suggestions, but your plan sounds good to me!
So I guess I work just a couple blocks away from you....

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Delster, you''re going to have a ton of fun!

Don''t be afraid to venture outside of Manhattan--I happen to love Coney Island in Brooklyn and you can take the subway there.

Also, if you are in Philly, check out the Mutter Museum, it''s not for those with a sensitive stomach, but it''s one of the most famous museums in the U.S.

Have you guys considered taking the train down to DC and staying there for a night? The train ride is only 4 hours and DC is a fantastic city--the Smithsonian museums are fantastic and the monuments look so pretty at night. You could easily spend a couple of days there.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the replies, and apologies for being tardy in replying!

Skippy - Imagine a place so exciting you had fun there in just a four hour flying visit? Yippe!!!! I'm so excited!!! I don't think I'll get the ring in NY. We're in negotiations. Part of me doesn't want to get engaged before I finish this d*** thesis. It's weird, but part of me feels like I won't deserve it and I won't relax and enjoy it fully. BF thinks I'm batty to think this way but he sees what I mean too. I doubt he'll do it in NY.

Penn - we have our hotel sorted (posted about it up there somewhere) but I'll pass on the recommendation to my folks as they are thinking about a trip this Summer. Thank you! You'll probably laugh at this but the stores I'm excited about are Old Navy, Banana Republic, and J Crew. We have H&M, Zara, Mango etc over here so those are kind of old hat (not disparaging the styles, I love to shop there, it's just everyone here is wearing their stuff you know?
2.gif
). Someone else recommended the Natural History Museum to us over the weekend, we will definitely be checking that out! And I'd love to see some Frank Lloyd Wright in person. You certainly see much over here that resembles any of his work. Sadly, we are neglecting Philly on this trip. Next time! What's Boyd's?

Lesco - I love the sound of that bar cruise! Gonna lobby hard for that
36.gif

NEL - we definitely plan to venture out of Manhattan. With eight days to play, it'd be such a shame not to. We plan to stay in NY the whole trip though as I've never been before so we're going to maximise my NY experience!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Boyd''s is an absolutely fabulous Philly retailer.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Good to know for next time Penn, thank you! I love all absolutely fabulous retailers
9.gif

Can''t believe it''s only a month to go before we jet off!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Forgive my pregnancy brain for not checking back here -- thank you all for the suggestions...we''re off on Wednesday and I cannot wait. I will pour over these suggestions later today and make an itinerary.

We''re staying at a friend''s apartment while she is in Arizona, so we are able to have a little extra dinero for NY fun!

Thank you again!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Delster, you are going to have a wonderful time!

as a new yorker, even i was able to add some links to my favorites that i didn''t even know existed by reading this thread...

also just wanted to throw out there, are either of you sports fans? perhaps there is a home yankee or met baseball game!

(can you tell i only have boys)

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I''m loving this thread as we are probably almost definitley going to New York in July
36.gif
36.gif
My DH wants to go to a Yankees game. Any tips on where to sit?
Also I have to go to the Grand Central Station oyster bar AND I want to have a Big Apple greeter take my around Manhattan http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Del,

When are you going? You haven''t been have you?
33.gif
.............nah, you would have told us all about it.

Enquiring minds, wanna know.

po
x

starwars.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Hello all!
35.gif

Still in Ireland, but only for three more days
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Eva will you forgive us if we don't go to a baseball game? I've been three times and BF has been twice and our experience is that unless you have natives with you to explain everything and to party with, it's just impossible to figure out what's going on!
1.gif
It's a great suggestion though, and when we were in Seattle last Summer we had the same idea and went to a Mariners game. I put some photos up here somewhere I think.

katebar those Big Apple Greeter people are amazing!!! What a fantastic idea!!! I hope you get to go!
36.gif

Po thanks for the shout-out, and yeah, you would have heard all about it had we been already cos I would have been yelling all about the fantastic time we had!!!
9.gif

OK native New Yorkers, I have a last minute question for you! BF is taking a morning 'off' from me to go and collecte THE LEON (
cheerleader1.gif
) and while he does that I plan to go and visit a yarn shop or three (School Products is the top contender right now, or perhaps the famous PurlSoho if I can find it!). But I am also toying with the idea of going and getting a mani/pedi (
31.gif
). I'd like somewhere convenient, easy (don't want to have to book in advance), and reasonably priced. Any recommendations?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster, have a great time! I was in NY state a couple times when I was younger, to visit my cousins, but I still talk/have plans of going to the "big city". You'll have a blast I'm sure!

Oh, and there's the ring thing too.
9.gif
2.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Delster - have fun in NYC! I just got back yesterday from my weekend there and I''ll tell ya - there is a mani/pedi shop on every corner practically!

Not saying they are all great but there are a lot to choose from and lots of them had great pricing IMO.

Have sooo much fun and can''t wait to see the Leon!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Delster - sorry everyone to threadjack but that is the first time I''ve seen smiley pom pom and OMG it''s just the cutest. I want one!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t mention it on this thread but yesterday BF got photos of the Leon and he is ridiculously happy. Like gushing with excitement happy. It''s the cutest thing!!!

I can''t believe we fly out tomorrow, the time flew. I didn''t get all the things done I wanted to get done before we go but I''m going to try hard to put that behind me and just enjoy the trip. It''s a clean slate when we get back. We''re heading up to my folks in a couple of hours (they live closer to the airport by three hours) and then we have to catch the bus to the airport at 6 a.m. tomorrow. I don''t think I''ll get on PS tonight, and maybe not while we''re away. But I''ll take lots of photos and report back when I''m home!!!

Thanks again for all of the recommendations and advice, you really have no idea just how helpful you''ve all been. We are so excited about this trip and a lot of that is down to the insider tips we got from our PS friends!

THANK YOU!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Delster, I'm just SO excited for you and Retsled!!! You're going to have a fantastic time!! Please have a WONDERFUL trip! We'll miss you while you're gone!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thank you NEL!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results