shape
carat
color
clarity

New Year's Resolutions 2024

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm drunk posting so won't remember this when I sober up in the next hour or so and will deny any stupidity for which I can't be held responsible due to my anti-sobriety status. The moral of the story is that just because one thinks one should drink as many cocktails as one can before the end of 2023 so one can start anew with a record breaking attempt for 2024, one shouldn't.

My resolution for 2024 is to age an ungracefully as possible using every method, means, and manner available to me in an attempt to forestall any and all signs of aging at least from the neck up and cover up with clothing all such signs from the neck down. If I die in 2024, I've left instructions that only my head will be visible to mourners who need closure so they can comment on how young I look for my age. Sagging, wrinkling get thee behind me. Fillers, botox, lasers save me from the vicisitudes of growing old. My innards may be turning to slush but my outers will be shellacked to perfection.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I was merrily imbibing too many martinis a guy walked into the bar with his pitbull and I couldn't resist smooching the pooch. Her name is Patches and he rescued her from a horrible situation. It was obvious that he adored the dog and she adored him. She was so sweet, put her big blocky head in my lap and I was smitten. I secretly paid his tab on my way out. Gotta reward a kind heart whenever I see one.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't make New Year's resolutions. However, if I was held at gunpoint and forced to share my resolutions I would say:

1. To be grateful for all the good in my life

and

2. To make peace with the things I cannot change

and, unlike Matata,

3. Age gracefully and naturally because I think I have earned it and I prefer using my energy for different outlets

But of course, there is no absolute right or wrong...you do you and I'll do me and it's all good.

One resolution I wish for the entire world however is for peace. Perhaps an impossible dream but nonetheless this is what I wish for all

Cheers for a happy and healthy New Year to my PS friends

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to be kinder to myself.

I have struggled with peri-meno symptoms & weight gain, so have berated myself constantly for the last 2 years. After 7 months trial & error with HRT, I am almost there. So tomorrow I will put on my running shoes for the first time in a long time. I will not be running every other day in 2024, as I used to a few years ago in order to feel at peace with myself & my weight, but I will aim for 2 good, long runs each week. And I will lift weights, as we have a good weights set up here in the Gym & that’s really important for me to get back into.

And I will be happy with that. It’s a lot more than I do now & I need to appreciate that my body isn’t what it used to be now that I’m almost 50.

I will improve my health & my body gently & nurture it more.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
My resolutions-

1. Spend an hour a day cleaning my house. With 3 teenage sons, 2 dogs, and too many sqft, cleaning house is so daunting. I really need a plan so it doesn't take full days to do.

2. Back to getting some exercise every day. When I left my job 2 years ago to work for myself I also left the 5 miles a day that I walked. Not good.

3. Spend more time in meditation. So good for my spirit, and I can physically feel the difference when I am more dedicated to my practice.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
1. Kiss a pit bull in a bar like my new hero, Matata. (This is the most important resolution)

2. Lose weight and get better tone (eat better and work out). Once beautiful new physique is achieved, celebrate with nekkid stroll around the block to show everyone what a real woman looks like.

3. Make more money by enacting super secret special plan (not that one about sitting on cakes for pervs on onlyfans)

B

Betty Baguette

I've recently removed almost all the artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, etc. from my diet. Next year I just gotta remove the calories.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I actually have to take a break from running because I need to have several surgeries done that I have put off :( so I am focusing on taking care of my health this year. Scheduling and taking care of things I’ve put off for years, taking a break from alcohol and eating healthier since I can’t “outrun” all my splurges (ha!) And being kinder to myself instead of pushing through.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I respect others being different than I.

Me?
I welcome improvement continuously ... 24/7 ... 365 days a year.

(BTW year is a REAL thing ... the position of the earth in its orbit around our sun.)
Exactly where the earth is on that day on calendar X is a big nothing burger.

That's why resolutions, on one of many New Year's Days based on merely one of many currently-in-use and made-up-and-agreed-with-calendars just strikes me as arbitrary.

Also, induced shame and guilt are things I watch for.
Making us feel less-than is how businesses control and manipulate us.
The profit from selling us diets, gym memberships, and cosmetic surgery.
It also generates obscent profits by getting us to spend bit bucks on made-up holidays.

Thanks Glob I and my DH don't play.

I consider the peaceful calm of self acceptance higher than getting sucked into what profiteer's work to convince us is some universal standard of how to be, or suffer social rejection.

But, as always, YMMV ... so you do you.

Matata asked.
I answered.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny I agree with you regarding the commercialization of all holidays.
But I had a giggle thinking fondly, “He must be a hoot at parties!” I know you probably don’t do parties…nor do we. Happy new year around the sun!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny I agree with you regarding the commercialization of all holidays.
But I had a giggle thinking fondly, “He must be a hoot at parties!” I know you probably don’t do parties…nor do we. Happy new year around the sun!

LOL. :lol-2:

Nope, indeed!
I gave up trying to kiss ass some time ago.
I do that only when absolutely necessary to maintain my income.

I admit; I'm a slut for money.
So, sue me.
Just don't call me, Sue. :praise:

Kenny ... approaching nirvana soon. ;))

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Love reading this thread.

Mine is more of a goal, than a resolution. Make everyday count, and finish my memoir. Get to the other side of active treatment and go to the beach for a month.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I must confess, I love spending time over the holidays to reflect and come up with resolutions/goals (and more importantly, the systems to follow through on said resolutions/goals)! :cool2:

My (jewellery-related) new year’s resolution is to buy holy grail pieces only. I’ve realised that I’m more of a curator than a collector, and I’m frustrated that I have a few pieces that are “nice enough” but scratching the itch doesn’t solve the underlying rash!

Does anyone have any tips on how not to be tempted by beautiful shiny things that aren’t on the wishlist/holy grail list? So far I’ve come up with “if it’s not on the list, it can’t go in the basket” but I tried to implement this before and somehow additional pieces always make it onto the list… :evil2:o_O

The rest are more goals and systems related:
1. Pass a native-level Chinese test by year end (the system is to study 1-2h every day and make it to 4-600h in total, the recommended study time)
2. Streamline my company operations and finances (the system is to set it up as efficiently as possible, especially having just done the tax returns!), and
3. Lose my baby weight (the system is meal planning via macros & calorie watching, exercising 3-4x per week)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm drunk posting so won't remember this when I sober up in the next hour or so and will deny any stupidity for which I can't be held responsible due to my anti-sobriety status. The moral of the story is that just because one thinks one should drink as many cocktails as one can before the end of 2023 so one can start anew with a record breaking attempt for 2024, one shouldn't.

My resolution for 2024 is to age an ungracefully as possible using every method, means, and manner available to me in an attempt to forestall any and all signs of aging at least from the neck up and cover up with clothing all such signs from the neck down. If I die in 2024, I've left instructions that only my head will be visible to mourners who need closure so they can comment on how young I look for my age. Sagging, wrinkling get thee behind me. Fillers, botox, lasers save me from the vicisitudes of growing old. My innards may be turning to slush but my outers will be shellacked to perfection.

Oh I am totally up for a good shellacking, but not this year!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Year!!

Today (1st) I achieved my goals with a 5 mile run & a 30 minute weightlifting session. I can hardly walk or move my arms, but I did it!

In my new diary I have written in each session for the month (either run or weights) as a “To Do Thing” rather than an “If I Have Time” thing. My GP said scheduling exercise was a vital part of the meno journey & I must work other things around it, not vice versa.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To go to bed earlier, get more sleep. My night owl tendencies worsened when my DH retired from his early-to-rise job and started going to bed late.

I like to be alone for a while after everyone has gone to bed so I can think my own thoughts, undistracted. But then I get interested in something or other-- a good book or something online-- and before I know it, it's very late.

I think I'll start setting my kitchen timer for an hour after he goes to bed. At that point I'll turn off the computer.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To go to bed earlier, get more sleep. My night owl tendencies worsened when my DH retired from his early-to-rise job and started going to bed late.

I like to be alone for a while after everyone has gone to bed so I can think my own thoughts, undistracted. But then I get interested in something or other-- a good book or something online-- and before I know it, it's very late.

I think I'll start setting my kitchen timer for an hour after he goes to bed. At that point I'll turn off the computer.

My MIL has a lullaby alarm play on her phone at 9.30pm, to remind her to start switching off & getting organised for bed. Otherwise she’s the same as you & will keep pottering with a movie or online stuff until she realises it’s really late. It’s completely changed her sleeping habits & she’s generally out running by 7am most mornings & always up by 6.30am.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just going to continue working on myself, this is something I started this year but it is a process. I’m also going to get rid of a lot of stuff, I realize that the less possessions you have, the easier it is to keep things clean and organized. Losing some weight would be nice but I’m not going to go crazy or make it a main focus. Just being a better version of myself at the end of 2024 will be enough, even if I don’t lose any weight, that is still progress.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do more volunteer work since I'm now retired.
Get back to travelling again. It stopped when Covid hit and hasn't really started again.
Quit buying stuff I don't need, just because I like it.....I should be purging, not adding.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to commit to a couple of small habits and keep them -- for instance put my phone away when I come home at night, eat a more healthy meal at night as I can't lose the last 10 pounds of baby weight eating kids left overs every night.

I also want to learn 1-2 things. I have an idea about what it is I most want to learn but will see if I can find the extra time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results