shape
carat
color
clarity

New: Would love advice on resetting inherited RB. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Greetings!

I've just registered after reading these pages over the past week or so, and found you all to be a wealth of information to someone very new to this field! I am just beginning the process of researching settings for a diamond I've inherited from my Grandmother. It's a lovely stone [round brilliant, just under 1ct, G colour, VVSI, Ideal cut... that's all I know] and, most importantly, very meaningful to me. My partner and I have discussed using it for an engagement ring in the near future, and I'm looking into the setting.

So... that's where the cohesion stops!! :) I have lots of different ideas, and thought I'd share some in case anyone has advice or tips to keep in mind.

1. I LOVE the Tiffany Legacy ring, but wonder if my center stone would be too small for a halo? Also, the Tiffany pricetag probably won't work, so I'm considering custom options. I wonder if the smaller stone would be too small for a Ritani-style delicate band?

2. I ALSO love the classic Tiffany style solitaire, with classic platinum w-band. I've noticed lots of different companies' names that do good semblances of that style -- is there one that is known as the best?

3. Or, with an heirloom diamond (it is very old), would you recommend something more antique looking? I also love this Tacori (I'll attach it if I can figure out how)... it is on their web page, but I can't find it in the lineup. Anyone recognize it?

Well, I suppose I have more questions than solutions, but wanted to join the discussion for helpful tips. Thanks so much to all! :)

tcri1975.jpg.jpg

Lane

Shiny_Rock
One other short question: How do you think this ring above would look with a plain, Milgrain platinum band?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it is too small for a halo. It is just a different look. I like the setting you posted. I am after all a Tacori fan. Also look at Kirk Kara rings. They have some beauties. Sounds like you need to try on some rings to see what style you REALLY want.

Welcome to PriceScope by the way!
35.gif

Lane

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the advice there -- i''m going to look up that designer now!

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Hey Tacori e-ring -- Thanks SO much for the Kirk Kara link -- I actually love his stuff! The hand engraving is especially what I think captures my attention, though you are certainly right that I should try things on :) heheh... soon! Thanks also for the tip on the resizing -- I think 1/2 or 3/4 way around for the diamonds would be fine with me. Do have a preference for the look of 1/2 or 3/4?

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Hey Tacori e-ring -- Thanks SO much for the Kirk Kara link -- I actually love his stuff! I''m attaching the one that really caught my attention. The hand engraving is especially what I think captures my attention, though you are certainly right that I should try things on :) heheh... soon! Thanks also for the tip on the resizing -- I think 1/2 or 3/4 way around for the diamonds would be fine with me. Do have a preference for the look of 1/2 or 3/4?
Thanks!!

kirk21975.JPG

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I really like the Tacori that you posted!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Disclaimer I have yet to see a kirk kara in person (someday hope too). There are no local dealers where I live
7.gif
If you go to a B&M that carries Tacori they should have a huge binder of all their styles (with color pics). My setting is not ususally one of their "stock" settings. I am not sure what I perfer (1/2 vs 3/4) I know someone on here had a beautiful Tacori with 3/4 and she had them engrave the sizing bar (so it blended in). It was really pretty.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you might also check at some local estate jewelers to see if you can find an antique setting. i just love it when old stone''s can find their way back to old settings. also, Leon Mege makes some gorgeous settings too and set this old stone in a halo. His prices seem to run around the same if not less than many big name designers like tacori so you might look at some of his settings too...

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=320

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Hi again! Thanks so much for your help -- checking out estate jewellers is a great idea. I actually just had an email back from Tacori (in a few hours -- wild!) confirming that this ring is their new design and all their designers are wild about it too. They can do it in a 1/2 diamond band too (i''m looking at that for sizing and cost). i think i''ll go look at some Tacoris in person before going much further with that though. Thanks again for the tips! This site is superb!! :) Have a good night.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lane, keep us updated. Also if you do a search there is a "show me your Tacori" thread on here. Lots of pretties in there! My e-ring is 1/2 and it doesn''t bother me even if it does rotate a little and you can see the metal. If you want the eternity look I would go with
3/4.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lane, I think you might like Beverley K rings as well. They are beautiful and are priced lower than Tacori, although I love Tacori, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of a pretty one if you wanted a halo

bevk04.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 11:04:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Lane, I think you might like Beverley K rings as well. They are beautiful and are priced lower than Tacori, although I love Tacori, too!

Those are beautiful as well!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lane,

I was browsing and found this:

Your Tacori ring

I took a screen shot of the page showing it, but can't upload for some reason. I'll keep trying.

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Hey Angeline -- Thanks so much for posting that link -- I wasn''t sure exactly what to expect with the price, but now I see that it might be a BIT out of my league lol... whoa! I''m also concerned it might sit too high and be a bit too blingy (heheh), so maybe I would like to do a custom job that has this sort of look, 4 prongs (that make it look more square like, which is what I always wanted before inheriting the round), with some milgrain and engraving. Interesting... SOOOO much to think about lol... :)

Diamondseeker2006 -- Thanks for the link to Beverly K! You guys are a wealth of knowledge -- I''m from Canada, and up until now I''d heard of Tiffany, HW, Cartier, Birks, and that''s about it... sooo many other good ones out there.

Anyone know the approximate prices of Kirk Kara? Are they very pricey?

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Hey again... okay, let me just say that this site is dangerous for someone trying to ''work from home'' today :)

I just found what I think is a GREAT setting... just enough milgrain and engraving to have an antiqued look that I want, but also some clean modern angular lines + 4 prongs that I also like! Plus it looks like it''s set lower. That''s also good.

So.. what''s the deal with Scott Kay? Do we like him? hehehh :)

What do you guys think? Please be honest -- you have more experience!! :)

149U18scottkay2.jpg

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, one last thing. This might sound totally random, but do you guys think it might be possible to get a sapphire as the "surprise stone" below the solitaire? I really love them, and maybe it would add just a special personal touch... (it''s kind of a long story of why I want one, but I really do). I fell in love with idea when I saw these:

http://www.birks.com/index.asp?SKU=901211&SecID=64&CatID=712&LangID=1

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 9:02:49 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Disclaimer I have yet to see a kirk kara in person (someday hope too).
I have!!! And it was beautiful!!! It was not this particular setting, rather it was the Charlotte. But it was GORGEOUS.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 4:51:33 PM
Author: Lane
Ooh, one last thing. This might sound totally random, but do you guys think it might be possible to get a sapphire as the ''surprise stone'' below the solitaire? I really love them, and maybe it would add just a special personal touch... (it''s kind of a long story of why I want one, but I really do). I fell in love with idea when I saw these:

I have a Birks Blue ER, not like that setting, but with the suprise sapphire. If you are getting it custom made, or even purchase from B&M I see no reason why it would hurt to ask if they can replace the existing suprise diamond with a sapphire? doesn''t hurt to ask.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG, I LOVE the "charlotte" setting
18.gif

Lane, Tacori now does sell their settings in 18 WG so I would get a quote for that. I know Tacori will swap out any diamonds for gemstones (I have sapphires in my setting) also they probably would lower the head if that is the setting you really want. Luckily you are inheriting the diamond but I don''t know your budget. Tacori also has an engraved only setting (njc has it) which will be much cheaper than their diamond settings.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 6:28:40 PM
Author: Çã†hër§

Date: 10/26/2007 4:51:33 PM
Ooh, one last thing. This might sound totally random, but do you guys think it might be possible to get a sapphire as the 'surprise stone' below the solitaire? I really love them, and maybe it would add just a special personal touch... (it's kind of a long story of why I want one, but I really do). I fell in love with idea when I saw these:

I have a Birks Blue ER, not like that setting, but with the suprise sapphire. If you are getting it custom made, or even purchase from B&M I see no reason why it would hurt to ask if they can replace the existing suprise diamond with a sapphire? doesn't hurt to ask.
here is a shot of the suprise sapphire in my ring.

our trip to Edmonton 110.jpg

Lane

Shiny_Rock
Cathers: That Birks Blue is GORGEOUS!!! You''re very lucky :) I love the hint of sapphire.

Tacori E-ring: Thanks soo much for your tips there -- I hadn''t realized quite the extent of customizing that they were willing to do. Perhaps I could look at this one: (below) and try to drop the setting a little bit, and maybe look at the cost between the diamonds v. engraving. I really like how the prongs flow delicately out of the setting, not straight vertical.

Also, I looked at the Show me your Tacori thread to see that engraved only one (forget the name now) and it''s beautiful -- AND, i might add, yours is breathtaking!! Wow!!

I think that''s my next step. Thanks again for your help!!

HT251012X_multi66.jpg

Lane

Shiny_Rock
side view

251012x.jpg

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 2:29:05 PM
Cathers: That Birks Blue is GORGEOUS!!! You''re very lucky :) I love the hint of sapphire.

Tacori E-ring: Thanks soo much for your tips there -- I hadn''t realized quite the extent of customizing that they were willing to do. Perhaps I could look at this one: (below) and try to drop the setting a little bit, and maybe look at the cost between the diamonds v. engraving. I really like how the prongs flow delicately out of the setting, not straight vertical.

Also, I looked at the Show me your Tacori thread to see that engraved only one (forget the name now) and it''s beautiful -- AND, i might add, yours is breathtaking!! Wow!!

I think that''s my next step. Thanks again for your help!!
thank you. I have had a few problems with the ring, as I am the 3rd owner, that I know of. The ring was originally a semi bezel with an oval diamond, and to my dismay, the bezel part of the ring was quite thin, and wearing down. Long story short, Birks said the ring was not repairable, so I posted my problem on here, and David Keeling "the Doctor" in Edmonton completely rebuilt my semi bezel into a bezel. He also rebuilt the hidden sapphire bezel, and replaced my original sapphire. It is now even more gorgeous than the original, and just that much more unique.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I really LOVE that Tacori! I think the scalloping on the side is so beautiful (very pretty IRL). I think the Tacori has a more vintage-y feel(which is what I would want for an inherited stone) than the Scott Kay. Scott Kay, IRL, seems to be more substantial/studier/heavier looking- more metal, while the Tacori looks more delicate and vintage.

Also, if price is a concern... Tacori is a bit high priced. Like was mentioned, Beverly K (as well as others) are a nice vintage style at a price less than Tacori.

I love sapphire accents/surprise stones... also like was mentioned, Tacori often uses sapphires. There are also many vintage inspired rings with sapphires.

As for the 1/2 or 3/4 eternity... it seems most get the 3/4 so they still see the diamonds (or engraving) when the ring spins a bit. The only thing I personally don''t like, is when it''s a very small area left "undone" (seems they go a bit beyond 3/4). If the diamonds or engraving are not going completely around, I would prefer to see just plain metal on the underside- rather than seeing where it stops (I want that hidden between the fingers).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lane. It is my dream setting. I can''t wait to lose the baby weight so I can wear it again! Also I am sure I mentioned before they now make their settings in 18K WG as well (they only did PLT when I got engaged). That will cut down on cost too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 4:46:34 PM

So.. what's the deal with Scott Kay? Do we like him? hehehh :)

What do you guys think? Please be honest -- you have more experience!! :)

Scott Kay makes high quality settings and is a well respected designer. No problems there whatsoever. He also makes settings in plat, wg and recently added palladiam which can really cut costs. Pearlmans will send out a setting for you to view in person as well if it really is a strong contender for you.

Lane

Shiny_Rock
has anyone seen this one? perhaps making the side diamonds smaller and adding a bit of pave-ing around them (i''m not sure of my terms yet heheh) would be a way to customize to save a little $$...

2586rd6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results