shape
carat
color
clarity

New ultrasonic cleaner says no ammonia?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
I just got the Gemoro Sparkle spa, and the manual that comes with it says to NOT use ammonia in it. What do you make of this, and what would you do?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the interests of self protection, I would follow their instructions and not use any ammonia. It might react badly with some of the parts in the machine or with the solution they supplied/recommended. If you used ammonia and the machine broke, the company could use that as an excuse not to repair or replace it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 5:19:49 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
In the interests of self protection, I would follow their instructions and not use any ammonia. It might react badly with some of the parts in the machine or with the solution they supplied/recommended. If you used ammonia and the machine broke, the company could use that as an excuse not to repair or replace it.
Agreed.

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
Really? But it seems like everyone here uses ammonia. My ultrasonic suggests dish soap. I would think that would leave a film.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 5:32:17 PM
Author: skphotoimages
Really? But it seems like everyone here uses ammonia. My ultrasonic suggests dish soap. I would think that would leave a film.
I would imagine most that use it either don''t have instructions not to, or, are taking the risk and using it anway.

Dawn dishsoap is great for cleaning, cuts the grease and oil that so easily adheres to diamonds. Many on here use that too. Just rinse really well after cleaning.
2.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my "witches brew" that I use in my ultrasonic.

1/2 cup amonia
1/4 cup Windex
1/4 cup water
About 3 squirts of dish washing liquid and
And a squirt of liquid Jet Dry.

I'm thinking that because amonia can damage some jewelry maybe the instructions are saying to not use it at all, so the consumer won't have to figure out what can and cannot be put in an amonia solution. Since a couple of squirts of dishwashing liquid mixed in with some water could hardly damage anything, maybe they are playing it safe.

My ultrasonic is metal on the inside with a plastic basket, maybe amonia sitting in the recepticle over a long period of time would damage your ultrasonic parts? Are they metal or all plastic?

I would call the customer service/manufacturer's 800 number and ask why you can't use amonia?? Is it because it's not fit for all jewelry items or because it would damage the Ultrasonic.

I only put my rings in my ultrasonic cleaner for just a few minutes while I clean them. I them thorougly rinse them and/or use my Jewel Jet to blast them dry. I don't let them soak or leave them there for hours. Also I don't have any dainty prongs or pave to be concerned with.

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, you have the GemOro too don''t you? I remember seeing a review of it you did, and you tried ammonia in it. Do you only use soap now, or do you use their solution?

I guess I''ll look for the ammonia free Mr. Clean, or until then I''ll just use dawn in it. Any recommendations for how much?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have the Gemoro spa, but I bought their solution and use it in my ultrasonic (diluted of course). I tried dish soap and ammonia, but I don''t like using ammonia for white gold and dish soap did tend to make a film. I would advise buying their cleaning solution as it seems to work well and isn''t too overpriced.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 9:54:52 PM
Ellen, you have the GemOro too don''t you? I remember seeing a review of it you did, and you tried ammonia in it. Do you only use soap now, or do you use their solution?

I guess I''ll look for the ammonia free Mr. Clean, or until then I''ll just use dawn in it. Any recommendations for how much?
Yes I do, and yes I tried it. I switch up what I use, normally between Dawn and the cleaning solution that came with it. Sometimes afterwards I give a final scrub with rubbing alcohol too. I have used Ammonia, but it''s rare. And I only use the US once or twice a week at most.

For the Dawn, the amount that''s been recommended on here is enough to make the water feel slippery. So you just need to experiment.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I posted earlier, I couldn''t get to the box with my directions without waking someone up, but I really didn''t remember my instructions saying no ammonia. I don''t use it often anyway, as I have WG, and I don''t think it''s good for the Rhodium.

I just went and read over them again, and nowhere does it say on mine not to use ammonia.
33.gif

p.s. I notice you said "manual", as in a little booklet? I just have a sheet folded a couple times...

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 8:55:58 AM
Author: Ellen
When I posted earlier, I couldn''t get to the box with my directions without waking someone up, but I really didn''t remember my instructions saying no ammonia. I don''t use it often anyway, as I have WG, and I don''t think it''s good for the Rhodium.

I just went and read over them again, and nowhere does it say on mine not to use ammonia.
33.gif

p.s. I notice you said ''manual'', as in a little booklet? I just have a sheet folded a couple times...

It is just a folded paper, and mine actually says three times to not use ammonia or it will void the warranty. I went and bought ammonia and chlorine free Mr. Clean, so I think I''ll try that.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 6:42:37 PM

It is just a folded paper, and mine actually says three times to not use ammonia or it will void the warranty. I went and bought ammonia and chlorine free Mr. Clean, so I think I''ll try that.
Wow, that''s weird. I reread mine, the whole thing twice, just so I couldn''t miss it, and it''s not mentioned at all. I have no clue....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results