shape
carat
color
clarity

New Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
So I bought two stones a week or so ago. I finally got home during the daylight and we weren''t under a tornado watch for once. So I took the opportunity to take some pics.

First up is a .81ct Tourmaline from Dan Stair. 6.23 mm. I''m sending this to OneGarnetGirl (etsy) to be set into a bezel and hopefully combined with some stones she has to make a stacker set. I will be honest and say I almost returned the ring. It has a tilt window that bugs me and wasn''t quite what I had hoped it would be. However, I decided the bezel stacker ring was worth a shot. It wasn''t terribly expensive and I''m not sure how much "my style" a stacker set will be. So I figured this stone was the perfect candidate for that experiment.

Dan descirbed this as minty green and similar to an Oyo tourmaline. I''m not sure his description was very accurate honestly. So without further ado. . . up first is the vendor pic.

81TrmRB.jpg

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
on my kitchen table. I think the lighting sucks.

IMG_6560.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
bathroom where the lighting is better for some unknown reason

IMG_6572.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
darker than what I see in real life. Stones of any kind of green seem so hard to capture.

IMG_6573.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Outside on a very sunny (and REALLY FREAKING HOT!) day. The stone is in my shadow and looks surprisingly a lot like Dan''s photo imo.

IMG_6585.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Stupid tilt window.

IMG_6586.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Again
7.gif

IMG_6587.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
. . .

IMG_6588.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
In my shadow again. . .

Overall I think Dan''t picture is ok. I will say that his pic shows more blue than I normally see. What I do like about this stone is that it is truly blue/green. Sometimes I see more blue and other times more green. It''s very sparkly as well which is a plus. Fingers crossed that it looks good in a bezel!

IMG_6591.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely! :)

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
There it is! I was wondering about how that had turned out. Sorry you weren''t blown away by it. I really hope that it grows on you once it''s set. I think it''s a very pretty color.
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi hoofbeats, I think the color is lovely and just right for a bezeled stacker. Sorry about the tilt window, though. I just went through a whole tilt-window issue myself with one of Dan''s stones (portuguese cut w/ extra facets), and ended up returning the stone - it just bugged me. Maybe once the stone is set, the window will be less noticeable. Definitely post pics once you get the ring finished - I''d be really interested in seeing it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks beautiful. Sorry about the tilt window, I just went through that myself a couple of days ago, but after putting in a setting (haven''t mounted it, it looks less noticeable)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m rarely much into these kinds of color, but this stone looks quite nice, especially in the sun. That''s why I''d think twice about bezeling it (I''d set it as openly as possible to bring out the sparkle), but it''s your choice of course. Have fun
2.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Brandy - you are the one that passed on this stone right? I couldn''t remember and I wasn''t sure why.

I will admit that the tilt window does bug me and I''m hoping it goes away in the setting.

ma re: I hear ya - but I''ve already decided and paid on the bezel. Just going to ship the stone today. Might be the wrong choice but I''m hoping it closes the tilt window a bit more. We''ll see. Fingers crossed! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the bezel works out well for your stone. Dan’s pictures are definitely looking more accurate these days.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:12:41 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
Brandy - you are the one that passed on this stone right? I couldn''t remember and I wasn''t sure why.

I will admit that the tilt window does bug me and I''m hoping it goes away in the setting.

ma re: I hear ya - but I''ve already decided and paid on the bezel. Just going to ship the stone today. Might be the wrong choice but I''m hoping it closes the tilt window a bit more. We''ll see. Fingers crossed! :)
I wasn''t the one that passed on it. I got the paraiba that looked very similar to yours per Dan''s photos.

Can''t wait to see your finished ring! Have you tried the foil or twisty bezel test on the stone?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty. I know what you mean about the tilt window though. My pad has a huge one. It totally bugged me in the beginning, but I think once set, it might be OK. Head on, there is no window, so it works for me.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Brandy - now I remember. I had hoped mine would look like yours in real life. No such luck I don''t think. Kribbie was the one that passed.
I tried the foil test. Boy is that HARD. I don''t know that it really helped my decision. But I''m off to the post office at lunch break to mail to stone!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow lovely color!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a bezel!! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results