shape
carat
color
clarity

New to this site-A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am so happy to have come accross this forum. I am a total newby when it comes to collecting gem stones. It''s weird. I just caught the bug. It all began one day flipping the channels and saw that I could actually by gemstones while at home and I was hooked. It was TANZANITE and all the talk of a grading system and buy while you can!!! Went out and bought several books trying to educate myself. It is fun, and I have taken a few stones for appraisal, and have been happy so far. But I do have a few questions, and please keep in mind that I am new to this. For starters, I was wondering what your thoughts are on Paraiba Tourmaline. My fav. show had some last week and I understood that it is rare. They were selling a .20 for 199.00 so I bought one and should get it today. However, when I called a gemologist to bring it in for appraisal, I believe her excact words were " Huh-Oh". She didn''t want to even go there. Something about hearing that something was "fishy" when it came to the testing of this stone and went into explaining (sort of) but I don''t get it. Does anyone know what she was talking about? I bought a Brazilian Copper Bearing Tourmaline. Not the Paraiba-Like from Mozambique. Much appreciated!
9.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bear in bind that when you have a stone appraised, the value they assign it is a retail retail retail replacement cost. You should never expect you could turn around and sell the stone for that amount. From time to time I will have some of my stones appraised, and the values are always many times higher than I would ever dream of selling the stone for. I have one ruby that was appraised for over $3000, and I think its up on my web site for around $600.
Be carful with the jewelry TV shows. These guys are not stupid, and there is never really and spectacular deal. If the price looks really low, there is a reason... bad color, terrible cut, inclusions etc. When ever I see a nice stone offered, the price is usually up there along with everyone elses.

My advice in gemstone collecting would be to buy higher quality in your price range. In other words, if you had $300 to sepend on a stone, rather than getting a poor quality large sapphire, get a very top quality tourmaline or rhodolite garnet. Look for something unique, not common place.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your advise! This all can be a bit overwhelling for someone like myself to dive into, but I love gems and jewelery. I understand what you are saying, and so far I have been happy with the material I have receives. I bought a 110ct mixed parcel and received 4 stones at 2 carats plus of what "they" are calling labradorite/andisine. They are that salmon color with green flashes. I like the fact that I can return for a refund so if I''m not satisfied, of it goes. On the Paraiba though, I am cuorious to know just how rare it is. I received it and it''s a tiny .20 pointer, but it is a beautiful neon green. A few gemologist I contacted never heard of it, and this one who did didn''t want to appraise it. DOes anyone know why?? Thanks!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 10:05:33 AM
Author: Loriann
On the Paraiba though, I am cuorious to know just how rare it is. I received it and it''s a tiny .20 pointer, but it is a beautiful neon green. A few gemologist I contacted never heard of it,
Sounds to me like you need to find another gemologist!
2.gif

Welcome, Loriann!

I''m one of those people who think that those TV gem shows are a good place to get started in gem collecting...but one does have to be VERY CAREFUL. Drooling over colored gems online is great fun too...you might check out www.acstones.com , or www.gemwow.com for fun...

.20 carats is indeed tiny, and in my opinion probably not worth the added $$ of having it professionally appraised. If I were you, I''d just enjoy it!

I''m NOT a professional, but it''s my understanding that it''s the copper content of these neon blue tourmalines that makes them rare...PARTICULARLY if they''re from Paraiba, Brazil. The thing is, I don''t think that country of origin can be determined in a lab, and you have to take the vendors word for it.

Anyhoo, have fun...and do post pictures of your treasures!
3.gif

widget

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

From my experience, an appraisal can cost you from $40 to $100 per stone. To buy one of the 100 ct. mixed gemstone parcels, then take the stones out for appraisal, to verify that you got a good deal is not really to wise. First, these gem show channels are pretty smart people. They are not going to give away anything. There is a reason that they package up a bunch of stones in a mixed parcel. It''s the only way to sell off these stones. For the most part, consider this type of stone to be mineral samples something to have fun with, but certainly not collector type gems. You may find a few in the parcel that could be mounted into some lower quality jewelry. If in a $100 parcel, there was really a stone worth $300... they would sell it for $300. Certainly, none of the stones is worth spending an additional $50 on an appraisal.

About the tourmaline you just bought... when an appraiser give out his or her appraisal, they are liable for the accuracy of it. Since with the tourmaline, the copper content is what pushes the value up, if they have no way of verifying that there is copper, then they would shy away from the stone. However at .2 cts it really isn’t that big a stone to worry too much about the value.

If you are looking to collect stones, then buy fewer, but better quality stones. There is no point in collecting a really poorly cut, light small citrine, topaz, amethyst or what ever else they put in the mixed parcels. Go to Tuscon, and you will see hundreds of vendors selling these types of stones for pennies, and a bit better quality stones for a dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results