shape
carat
color
clarity

new to this board, but deeee-lited to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jake06783

Rough_Rock
I was in the wholesale gemstone business for years and LOVED it! My first job was working for the foremost sapphire cutter (ok, lapidary!)in the world. Back then we weren''t so fussy about the title!...Anyway, he was the most respected sapphire dude in the Far East to our West! To this day, decades later, I can spot one of his stones a mile away( usually in an auction house brochure/or fine jewelry retailers'' ads, or in a adds for BIG sapphires! ..How many good 20 to 40 carat sapphires are out there anyway? Its so neat to find a place where I can see and hear what "privates" (as we wholesalers, called y''all buyers back then)I used to wonder who the hell WORE this stuff??? ha ha...Just want to put something out there... each colored stone requires different facets to bring it up to its perfect state of... beauty/perfection...there is a science, but, also an ART to the cut...I see here, that some are caught up in the mechanical side of how and where facets are put...NO! NO! NO!...The best stones that came out of our office sometimes started off as 40 carat ugly buggers and ended up as 3 carat GEMS!!!...its not about a formula of faceting (like diamonds), its about where the lapidary( the artist)sees the color and then places those sometimes, strange facets...its a HUGE risk,and a great and stressful ART but when it works, WOW!!!!...''do we keep the weight and sell at per carat weight with a slight profit, or do we lose the weight and make a "GEM" quality stone that can double or triple at price and rarity because it is now PERFECT,there is a risk factor there (what if the stone breaks on the wheel, or the decision was wrong??? (it is , after all, bidness!) The temptation is hard to deal with...it disturbs me, that people seem to think that, as with diamonds, choosing where a facet goes is mathematical, not artful...Anyway, I am just babbling right now, because I am so happy to find a place where the fine art of gemstones can be discussed!! And, well...I have a place to babble!! and it has been years since I have been with people that appreciate my first professional love!
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome!
P.S. I''m afraid the term "privates" is still being used.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to CS Jake. It''s always a pleasure to add one to the ranks who understands and loves coloured gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 5:46:26 PM
Author:jake06783
And, well...I have a place to babble!! and it has been years since I have been with people that appreciate my first professional love!
36.gif
You and me both!! I love PS because I love talking about colored gems and jewelry and I know absolutely NO ONE that finds this interesting in my circle of family & friends. Believe it or not, I''m not a very talkative person at all because so few people share any of my interests, gems being one of them.

Welcome!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to babble about gemstones and diamonds too. Making a "gem" has got to be very impressive to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results