shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the scene...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ucbsupafly

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am a newbie to the site and the world of diamond shopping. After educating myself in the GOG tutorial and various posts in the forums, I believe I am now ready to test the waters and start my engagement ring shopping. My budget is 10K for everything. What is the best diamond I can get w/o sacrificing too much on color (D-F) and clarity?

I have found the two following H&A rounds, which one do you think is a better buy?

Round - H&A
1.01ct
D
SI1
EX/EX/IDEAL
Depth: 60.8%
Table: 56.9%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavil Angle: 40.8
$6650

#2 Round - H&A
1.01ct
E
VS2
EX/EX/IDEAL
Depth: 60.7%
Table: 56.4%
Crown Angle: 34.3
$7238

Both scored high on various analysis (L-Scope, B-Scope, ISEE2) so I guess the trade off is color vs clarity. Which one would you knowledgeable people go for? Or is there a better deal out there on pricescope?

Thanks in advance!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why is that 2nd stone $600 more for less color? I guess the clarity bumps the price but IMO color is more important. Both #'s are really nice, #2 looks a bit better in terms of #'s but I don't like the price jump. The difference visually between #1 and #2 should be minimal if their images are similar...and size is no difference...I would go with #1 because of the simple fact that it's cheaper. At this point you are probably splitting very fine hairs, so why spend the extra $600 on something you can't see (though you may see some color better in D).

Sounds like the images and all that look great....in this instance clarity is not worth $600 more for E color IMO.
2.gif
I'd go with #1!

Great eye!!
1.gif
Congrats on what seem like two excellent stone choices!

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Out of those two, I would go for #2 because I think it's a better balance of color and clarity... But I don't think it's necessary to buy in the D-F range.

Have you seen any diamonds in person? It might be worth considering G or even H in color. These both face up very white, and you could get a much bigger stone for your budget...

Just a thought -- good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I find it weird that #1 is cheaper--and for a D! I'd choose #1 for that reason. Same size, higher color, presumably eye-clean, for less.

ucbsupafly

Rough_Rock
Wow!! Really appreciate the quick and helpful replies. Here are some more detailed info regarding the two stones.

Round - H&A (6.49-6.51 x 3.96mm)
1.010ct
D
SI1
EX/EX/IDEAL
Depth: 60.8%
Table: 56.9%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Cutlet: 0.2%
Girdle Thickness: 1.2-1.8% Medium
Fluorescence: None
$6650

#2 Round - H&A (6.50-6.54 x 3.97mm)
1.015ct
E
VS2
EX/EX/IDEAL
Depth: 60.7%
Table: 56.4%
Crown Angle: 34.3
Cutlet: 0.3%
Girdle Thickness: 1.0-1.6% Medium
Fluorescence: None
$7238

No, I have not yet seen either stone in person. In fact, I haven't seen many stones in person...

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixgirl pulled up some good looking stones, and the 2 you are considering look really nice.

However, I would go out to a couple of finer jewelry stores or diamond brokers (not mall jewelers) and view well cut stones to get a feel for what you can see and what you like in clarity and especially color. Lots of people think they need to stay in the colorless range. There is nothing wrong with it -- my stone is an E, and I think having colorless is a "treat", but it is not required for a beautiful, white stone. You'll find even more choices or lower prices if you find that you are comfortable with G or even H colors. Some people here have spectacular I and even J stones. They are able to tradeoff color for size and/or price.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results