shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the forum, need some advice please

vicghe

Rough_Rock
I have been reading various posts and educating myself for a few weeks on PriceScope now, and it is a tremendous resource. I am happy I delayed buying the engagement ring as I learn more and more each day! Anyhoo, you guys dole out advice to newbies very often without getting tired, and you are all gems in my book. So I figured you might be able to help me choose a diamond. I am currently in the process of working with the folks at Brian Gavin in customizing a ring, but have not finalized my stone decision. Here is my list:

$3,335 - 0.756ct - H VS1 - 1.6 hca http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049673005 (leading contender, a bit past my budget but it seems to line up with what I had in mind)

$3,058 - 0.743ct - I VS1 - 1.4 hca http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366014 (would save me $300, but getting a bit worried about diamond looking slightly colored in a plat setting?)

$2,681 - 0.720ct - I VS2 - 1.4 hca http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040407590004 (considerable price drop, Im fine with the size, again concerned about color, and I really hate seeing inclusions with the naked eye, would you consider these visible, from as close as 6 inches?)

Wildcards:

$3,814 - 0.754ct - G VS1 - 1.2 hca http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366004 (quite a bit out of my budget, but this diamond spoke to me the most. most colorless of the ones listed also. is it worth the price increase based on optics/symmetry?)

$2,557 - 0.644ct - F VS2 - 1.6 hca http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366040 (actually affordable! a bit smaller than I would have liked, worried about the inclusions again.)

The pointers I am hoping to get are on the more technical aspects of each diamond. After only a few weeks of educating myself on these forums, I do not feel equipped to deduce optical performance based on numbers and static pictures. Or would it be a wash, with all above diamonds performing too similarly for me to discern? In that case, a few words on the color and inclusion concerns would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would not worry about VS2 inclusions-you will not see them in rounds of that size. If you are worried you can ask BGD but I am sure it will not be an issue, especially with his signature stones.

Have you had a chance to see different diamond colors in person? That may help you decide your preferences for color.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick question - What is your budget? Not sure if you know Brian offers a 5% discount to PS members. Also if you live out of state (Texas) you don't pay sales tax.

vicghe

Rough_Rock
I have seen the colors in person side by side, outside of rings, which made me think initially I needed an F or higher stone. But I now realize that I can comfortably go down in color quite a bit as the diamond will be set in a ring, and not in a comparison scenario. I was able to spot the differences fairly easily in the comparison though, and I have never seen an I color in person. My worry is that even in a non-comparison it might look somewhat colored.

vicghe

Rough_Rock
I live in Pennsylvania. My budget was originally $4000 total, but I realize it might have to be revised to more like $4500 with the plat setting. Hopefully they can work with me at BGD to get that a bit lower. The .754 G VS1 would probably push me to $5000, which is an outside consideration if that stone is particularly that much nicer than for example the .756 H VS1.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
vicghe|1307727994|2942665 said:
I live in Pennsylvania. My budget was originally $4000 total, but I realize it might have to be revised to more like $4500 with the plat setting. Hopefully they can work with me at BGD to get that a bit lower. The .754 G VS1 would probably push me to $5000, which is an outside consideration if that stone is particularly that much nicer than for example the .756 H VS1.

Just my personal opinion - If you are worried about colors, you should not go below H. If you are worried about seeing inclusions, VS2 should be more than good for a stone of your desired size. Going from a VS2 to a VS1 means you either have to sacrific the color or up your budget.

Here are two stones I found that fits (or a little over?) your budget but slightly bigger than what you listed:
0.77 ct G VS2 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771008 (not sure why the picture looks so dirty but I think it's worth asking more details. The plot looks pretty clean to me and it's a VS2)
0.78 ct H VS2 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366011

vicghe

Rough_Rock
I had given those two looks also, but since I wasn't sure about the visibility of VS2 inclusions, I decided to include the I VS2 in my originial post as it was $300 cheaper and a tad larger. There are so many nice diamonds to choose from, I couldn't include them all. I just tried to improvise a short list as I went. I have nothing against those two particular stones. :loopy:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you are worried about inclusions and color I think H/VS2 is a good bet. I would definitely consider VS2 unless it is not mind-clean for you.

vicghe

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I kind of agree with staying with the H for peace of mind. VS2 sounds doable now. But to play devil's advocate: the 0.77ct G VS2 that OCGirl linked was one of the original considerations. After an exchange of emails with a rep from BGD they confirmed that the spotting in the lower left hand corner of the picture was indeed caused by the inclusions, so that was my intial sticking point with VS2s. It might be on a case by case basis I take it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
vicghe|1307728960|2942677 said:
Thank you, I kind of agree with staying with the H for peace of mind. VS2 sounds doable now. But to play devil's advocate: the 0.77ct G VS2 that OCGirl linked was one of the original considerations. After an exchange of emails with a rep from BGD they confirmed that the spotting in the lower left hand corner of the picture was indeed caused by the inclusions, so that was my intial sticking point with VS2s. It might be on a case by case basis I take it?

remember that the picture is super magnified. I do think you can find a VS2 without any black dots in the image though (like the Hs posted)

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1307729092|2942681 said:
vicghe|1307728960|2942677 said:

remember that the picture is super magnified. I do think you can find a VS2 without any black dots in the image though (like the Hs posted)

Yea I talked to Brian about spotting includsions... etc in his pictures before too and he said, " you have to remember this picture is magnified over 1000x. Think about how small the diamond will look when you get it and see it in real life." But I understand your paranoia (it's perfectly normal). What about the 0.78 ct H VS2 stone? You can say you have a .8 ct stone to ppl and that's a plus :naughty:

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
For what it's worth...Sometimes, inclusions like those black spots, reflect, and bounce off other facets in the pavilion, etc., and then it looks like there are more inclusions throughout the whole diamond. But, at that specific clarity grade, I am not sure.

IMH (not expert) O I liked the h/a pattern of the .743 I in your first list, as to me, it came the closest in h/a pattern to the one you said "spoke to you," at the higher color/price.

I am certain an I color will look very white, especially a well cut, round brilliant. I think when it is well cut/sparkly, there is so much going on for your eyes to look at, that they have trouble focusing on a tint/color. I think that is why it is easier to see tint/color from the pavilion- not as much action there. I am sure there are examples on this forum of I colored diamonds that look absolutely white.

If you go into stores looking at I's for reference, make sure they are graded by the AGS lab, like the ones you are considering at BGD. The ones you saw in person, may have been graded I's by a lab that was not as strict. When you looked in person at I vs G vs F, etc., you may have seen "I's" that would have been graded "K's," etc., by AGS standards.

And I think that most people wouldn't "know" the difference between a .80 and a "3/4 carat."

Best wishes, and Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results