shape
carat
color
clarity

new to PS... thoughts on 1.46 stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rcl77

Rough_Rock
I have been trying to digest PS for a few weeks now, but wow, there''s a lot of info here! I am close to making a decision and would like for the community to share their opinion. I am thinking of budging on clarity to find the right stone (read larger) for my ER, within my budget ($6500). I am still not completely sold on this idea though...

It''s a JA stone with the following specs:

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.46
Cut: Premium
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62.5%
Table: 58.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: Very Small
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 7.21*7.23*4.51

Cost: $5950

Link to JA for GIA and Image

What are your thoughts on this?? As well as purchasing from James Allen??

Thanks All!
Ryan

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

rcl77

Rough_Rock
Thank You!
19.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
That is an extremely high crown angle! I''m not saying that it couldn''t be a beautiful stone, but personally, I''d pass. You can do much better on proportions if you are really looking for a great cut.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 12:54:35 AM
Author: Kelli
6.gif
That is an extremely high crown angle! I''m not saying that it couldn''t be a beautiful stone, but personally, I''d pass. You can do much better on proportions if you are really looking for a great cut.
agree... besides the crown,the depth is also a little deep (just a little though)... pop it into the HCA and returned with a score of around 3.5 VG (trying various culet %)..

i also think you can safely drop the clarity to VS2 or even SI1 (just verify with the vendor it is eye clean to your standard) if that is not your priority.. that would give you more leverage for size (your priority) and cut (which can make or break a stone)..

1 question though, does the $6,500.00 budget includes or excludes the setting?

rcl77

Rough_Rock
you guys are fast... i appreciate your help..... 6500 is the top end of where i would like to be for the stone.... total budget around 7500.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
here's one for you to take a look at..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1186697.asp

its a 1.3ct, I colored, SI1 clarity (need to call JA to verify that it is to your standard if you are interested..) stone of AGS0 Ideal cut for $6,060.00 with PS discount.. a little smaller (at 7.02 x 7.10 x 4.29) than the one you posted (at 7.21 x 7.23 x 4.51) though, but scores a nice 0.9 TIC on the HCA..

this is what i found so far, hopefully the others will come in with more recommendations for you later..

you might also want to start looking at settings... solitaire, side stones, halo etc etc..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 2:20:42 AM
Author: blastdoor
here''s one for you to take a look at..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1186697.asp

its a 1.3ct, I colored, SI1 clarity (need to call JA to verify that it is to your standard if you are interested..) stone of AGS0 Ideal cut for $6,060.00 with PS discount.. a little smaller (at 7.02 x 7.10 x 4.29) than the one you posted (at 7.21 x 7.23 x 4.51) though, but scores a nice 0.9 TIC on the HCA..

this is what i found so far, hopefully the others will come in with more recommendations for you later..

you might also want to start looking at settings... solitaire, side stones, halo etc etc..
This one from Blast is much better, ask for an Idealscope image of this one if you are interested and pop it on hold.

rcl77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great insight!! After a little more research and viewing the GOG videos. I will take your advice and drop down a little in size and go for an ideal cut.... I''ll keep you posted when I narrow it down to 2 or 3.... or you ideas will be much appreciated

As for the setting...... I was initially thinking tiffany but I really like this from JA. Does anyone have an idea of the weight/proportions of the center stone in the pictured setting??

rcl77

Rough_Rock
Here is a link to the setting on JA for all of the views including 3d

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/26/2009 11:19:53 PM
Author: rcl77
Thanks for the great insight!! After a little more research and viewing the GOG videos. I will take your advice and drop down a little in size and go for an ideal cut.... I''ll keep you posted when I narrow it down to 2 or 3.... or you ideas will be much appreciated

As for the setting...... I was initially thinking tiffany but I really like this from JA. Does anyone have an idea of the weight/proportions of the center stone in the pictured setting??

rcl77,

The center diamond in the Platinum Cross Prong is 6.5mm, or about one carat in weight. Based on the options you''re considering so far, your center diamond will be a touch bigger than what''s shown.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 11:27:37 PM
Author: rcl77
Here is a link to the setting on JA for all of the views including 3d
Very pretty setting!

juliejewels

Rough_Rock
Speaking as a gal who just got engaged last April . I was dying for a 2 carat, but for fiance''s budget, I would have had to sacrifice a lot to get to that 2 carat. It would not have been a nice diamond. I am very happy with what he gave me: the story is below:

I had and H color 1.5 radiant that cost about $7500 for the centerstone in my original e-ring and we switched to a 1.5 F round brilliant and it made all the difference in the sparkle. My ring is blinding now , where as the H radiant always looked off to me. Something about it was not right.

I am so much happier with my new diamond. My fiance was a complete sweetie and agreed to put a more money into my new solitaire radiant because I was apprehensive about moving from a multi-stone ring to a solitaire. And for $7500 center stone budget, I would have had to go to a 1 carat. ( nothing wrong with that , but since I started with a 1.5, I wanted to stay at a 1.5)
Our 1.5 cost about $11,000.( although I am sure if fiancce had agreed to shop online ,l like you, he could have spent less, but he wanted to get it locally where he could see it. He has now agreet to buy our wedding bands online.

With that said, I would go to the 1 carat range and you can get a beautiful diamond for your budget. I personally would rather have a higher quality smaller stone than a larger questionable one now that I know about diamonds. I went into this process being all about size, but now know that quality is incredibly important and would sacrifice size for quality anyday.

My best friend has a J color emerald cut and it always looks dull and drab ( that could be the cut, though) all I am saying is there is a difference. I would go down in size and go down in color. The better color will make the stone pop more. J tends to be too yellow for me.

This may not be much help to you...but it is my personal experience so I wanted to share.
You can get a beautiful ring for your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results