shape
carat
color
clarity

New to pearls educational help needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys, well my first posting question here on the pearl side and I don't know much about pearls, I have just one of each pearl earrings, pendant bought oooh so long ago when I used to work at department store, so not sure if they were the greatest quality, but I sure love them its been 12 years since I last bought pearls, and now I'm looking for a simple pendant like pictured, but hope you all can give me some additional feedback and what if this is a yay or nay. price seems very reasonable. Feedback fantastic. and the color looks awesome. I really like the pinkish/lavender color but not sure what I need to know before buying?

ETA: its only $22 so what can go wrong right?
33.gif
but I don't want some plastic fake though
TIA
35.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310159906275&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

pearl pendantdt0809.JPG

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
It seems like a fantastic deal, especially if it truly 18k. The gold alone could coat you $22.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi D&T - nice to see you over here too! The auction picture looks lovely, but I would have some concerns. It doesn''t state anywhere on the auction that the pearl is natural, or if the color is natural. Dyed pearls are very common. Also, the bale looks very thin - you could always have it replaced, but it would cost you double or triple the price of that pendant. Try asking the seller if the pearl is freshwater and of natural color, and see what she says.

I''ve been looking for a pendant too, and if I find anything, I''ll let you know!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Streeter1 - you are right on the gold portion of it.

Cellentani - I was afraid of it being dyed was one of my concerns. I'm ok with the thin bale as I like dainty things anyways. I wanted a simple pendant with a nice color in this color range not the Ivory since I already have one. But I guess I can ask them about the dyes, and I hope they are honest about it

ETA: maybe it is dyed becuase he seems to have multiple of this auction? not saying that it can't be natural but to have a listing for multiple items of the same color - idk- just rambling but I'll double check

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Is that seller reputable? I see that their feedback is 100 percent, and Chuyun Jewellry's prices are great, but I'm not really feelin' it.

The seller doesn't show you side views of the studs that he sells...I think this is a little sketchy; I've ordered a lot of cheapie studs, to find that the posts are really really poorly glued on and there's no 'cup' to hold the pearl at all, and the posts eventually end up falling out. They also have a lot of 'stock' photos and multiples on hand, and while this isn't necessarily bad, pearls are organic and often look different, so unless I really trusted the seller to have great quality pearls and an excellent return policy, I wouldn't buy a piece that I couldn't see an actual photo of.

$22 dollars isn't a huge waste, and you might discover an excellent seller by taking the risk, but if it were me, I would probably go with someone with a reputation, like Pearllunar on Ebay or Pearl Paradise.

ETA: Good to see you over here D&T!
35.gif

I had a thread a while ago about a single pearl I bought from Pearl Paradise, a AAA half drilled 9-10mm Freshwater with incredible orient for about $18. I was trying to set it into a pendant just like the one you pictured, but it proved harder than I expected.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 10:05:55 PM
Author: szh07
Is that seller reputable? I see that their feedback is 100 percent, and Chuyun Jewellry''s prices are great, but I''m not really feelin'' it.

The seller doesn''t show you side views of the studs that he sells...I think this is a little sketchy; I''ve ordered a lot of cheapie studs, to find that the posts are really really poorly glued on and there''s no ''cup'' to hold the pearl at all, and the posts eventually end up falling out. They also have a lot of ''stock'' photos and multiples on hand, and while this isn''t necessarily bad, pearls are organic and often look different, so unless I really trusted the seller to have great quality pearls and an excellent return policy, I wouldn''t buy a piece that I couldn''t see an actual photo of.

$22 dollars isn''t a huge waste, and you might discover an excellent seller by taking the risk, but if it were me, I would probably go with someone with a reputation, like Pearllunar on Ebay or Pearl Paradise.

ETA: Good to see you over here D&T!
35.gif

I had a thread a while ago about a single pearl I bought from Pearl Paradise, a AAA half drilled 9-10mm Freshwater with incredible orient for about $18. I was trying to set it into a pendant just like the one you pictured, but it proved harder than I expected.
Yeah, I''m a bit hesitant because of the highlighted, so I should just go with my gut instinct, I''m afraid of the "glued" on look lol... even if it''s only $22, I don''t want to keep wasting $20 here and there since I can''t see these in person and returning with the postage would be ridiculous anyways only to find a good one and out $300 later kwim
37.gif
. I''ll check on the other vendor you suggested.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
So you are looking for a round, simple, non-white pendant?

I just looked at Pearllunar linky and they don''t seem to have a lot of pendants.

I''m definitely on the boat with you about not throwing out $20! It really starts to add up and you end up with a lot of things you never end up wearing often.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
szh07 - I forgot to ask you on this, how come its hard to put into a pendant? I saw a LOGR ring for a pearl mount, and wondered how that works?

ETA: thanks for the link, I'll save them to my seller list as well

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got word back from the seller that they are natural and not dyed...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arggh- I just took a leap of faith and just bought it...lol I really like the color from the photo- if it doesn't work out, I'm sure my DDs will love them
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Keeping my fingers crossed that your pearl will be surprisingly beautiful. I hope you post pics when you get it - oh wait, you''re a CS forum girl, of course you''ll post pics!
2.gif

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 10:47:49 PM
Author: D&T

The seller is being honest with you about the color. That color is one of the most common freshwater pearl colors produced naturally. If it looks like the picture, it certainly isn''t dyed. Hopefully the bale is not too flimsy and really is 18k!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 10:23:25 AM
Author: cellentani
Keeping my fingers crossed that your pearl will be surprisingly beautiful. I hope you post pics when you get it - oh wait, you''re a CS forum girl, of course you''ll post pics!
2.gif
9.gif
I sure will post pictures, I might just have to take some pictures of my only other two pearlies too...lol

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 10:24:18 AM
Author: Streeter1

The seller is being honest with you about the color. That color is one of the most common freshwater pearl colors produced naturally. If it looks like the picture, it certainly isn''t dyed. Hopefully the bale is not too flimsy and really is 18k!
Streeter! I appreciate your reconfirm....whew! I don''t look at a lot of pearls as you can tell, I wish I would have paid more attention when I went through a Pearl jewelry shop in Hawaii - I can''t even remember the name, it was one of the largest too (back then I wasn''t too much into jewelery)- well I''m keeping my out now
9.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 10:55:49 AM

Streeter! I appreciate your reconfirm....whew! I don''t look at a lot of pearls as you can tell, I wish I would have paid more attention when I went through a Pearl jewelry shop in Hawaii - I can''t even remember the name, it was one of the largest too (back then I wasn''t too much into jewelery)- well I''m keeping my out now
9.gif

Could it possibly be called Maui Divers? My mom bought me a tahitian pearl pendant when she went to Hawaii years ago. They do have an internet set now.

I am glad you decided to take the plunge! I hope they are even more pretty in person. I was considering a pair of freshwater dangle earrings from Pearllunar for $70 in 14kg ....so I think for $22 and 18k.....you done GOOD!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 11:33:30 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

Could it possibly be called Maui Divers? My mom bought me a tahitian pearl pendant when she went to Hawaii years ago. They do have an internet set now.

I am glad you decided to take the plunge! I hope they are even more pretty in person. I was considering a pair of freshwater dangle earrings from Pearllunar for $70 in 14kg ....so I think for $22 and 18k.....you done GOOD!
THanks Cushion- i''m not sure what the name of it is, I took a tour and it was on Honolulu, I think think they harvest and made the jewelry in house too.
40.gif
Oh I hope I get to go back there again, with loads more money so I can spulrge
9.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 1:05:51 AM
arggh- I just took a leap of faith and just bought it...lol I really like the color from the photo- if it doesn''t work out, I''m sure my DDs will love them
1.gif

Its definitely worth a shot! It might be just as good or even better than the places we already know about. I peek into mall stores all the time; they rarely ever match up to the quality you see on PS, but sometimes I will find something great (the latest find was a pair of freshwater pearl studs from Dillard''s ''Sterling Silver Collection'' that were Fresadama quality for $25, perfectly rose and with amazing orient too).

The drill hole in the pearl wasn''t big enough to accommodate the finding; as I was push (very very very gently so as to not scratch the pearl) the piece of the finding that goes into the pearl broke off!! It was from PP and 14k white gold, so I was totally amazed as it how it would break so easily. The whole time, my focus had been to not scratch the pearl! It was almost silly, because I never did scratch the pearl, but broke the finding, which I never even imagined would happen.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

9.gif

So glad you mentioned their earrings!

linky to earrings The luster on these pearls are amazing!!! I love the look, but I just don''t like the cz''s...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 12:13:57 PM

Its definitely worth a shot! It might be just as good or even better than the places we already know about. I peek into mall stores all the time; they rarely ever match up to the quality you see on PS, but sometimes I will find something great (the latest find was a pair of freshwater pearl studs from Dillard''s ''Sterling Silver Collection'' that were Fresadama quality for $25, perfectly rose and with amazing orient too).

The drill hole in the pearl wasn''t big enough to accommodate the finding; as I was push (very very very gently so as to not scratch the pearl) the piece of the finding that goes into the pearl broke off!! It was from PP and 14k white gold, so I was totally amazed as it how it would break so easily. The whole time, my focus had been to not scratch the pearl! It was almost silly, because I never did scratch the pearl, but broke the finding, which I never even imagined would happen.
awww bummer. How can you fix? or if you can fix for a reasonable price?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 12:20:08 PM

9.gif

So glad you mentioned their earrings!

linky to earrings The luster on these pearls are amazing!!! I love the look, but I just don''t like the cz''s...

I contemplated those earrings too as I thought the luster was beautiful. I do like the cz''s but I have to admit, I want the pearls to be bigger!!
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 12:28:29 PM
love these earrings... ahhhh,,, but one pearl at a time. I still haven''t even finished my colored stone projects yet, I''m 50% on many projects right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/AAA-RICH-ROSE-Green-Gold-pearl-earrings-14KGOLD-MIRROR_W0QQitemZ390030195813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Earrings?hash=item5acf9c7c65&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Those are lovely. I like the mirror like finish. I was considering these ...but I really need to be good!

copperrosefreshwaterspearllunar.jpg

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 2:14:50 PM

love these earrings... ahhhh,,, but one pearl at a time. I still haven''t even finished my colored stone projects yet, I''m 50% on many projects right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/AAA-RICH-ROSE-Green-Gold-pearl-earrings-14KGOLD-MIRROR_W0QQitemZ390030195813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Earrings?hash=item5acf9c7c65&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Those are lovely. I like the mirror like finish. I was considering these ...but I really need to be good!
That''s a really unique and interesting color. I''m going to be an enabler. I totally think you should get them ... unless I get them first!
31.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 2:57:17 PM
Author: brightlight

love these earrings... ahhhh,,, but one pearl at a time. I still haven't even finished my colored stone projects yet, I'm 50% on many projects right now...

That's a really unique and interesting color. I'm going to be an enabler. I totally think you should get them ... unless I get them first!
31.gif
BL- go for it
31.gif
11.gif
you first
9.gif
I just put an offer in on a strand of necklace and lavender earrings already
23.gif
this is an impulse buy

Cushion- Totally those look incredible.. I do love the mirror like finish as well... ahhhh

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That''s a really unique and interesting color. I''m going to be an enabler. I totally think you should get them ... unless I get them first!
31.gif

LOL! Go for it! I need someone to save me from myself!! I have purchased 2 other pearl items since the last 2 threads I started and still have my eye on a few other things! Oh when will the addiction end!???
23.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 3:02:41 PM

LOL! Go for it! I need someone to save me from myself!! I have purchased 2 other pearl items since the last 2 threads I started and still have my eye on a few other things! Oh when will the addiction end!???
23.gif
well if it isn't colored stones, then its pearls ehh? or vice versa
9.gif
well its starting to become sickening to my DH now
40.gif
I might have to stay off of PS for a little bit
39.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 3:04:01 PM

23.gif
well if it isn''t colored stones, then its pearls ehh? or vice versa
9.gif
well its starting to become sickening to my DH now
40.gif
I might have to stay off of PS for a little bit
39.gif

True! Pearls, diamonds, colored stones, etc... You name it! I enjoy them all! I just wish my wallet would get on board!!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock

31.gif

23.gif
So, ummmmmmmm ... several items have caught my eye.
36.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 3:09:16 PM

31.gif

23.gif
So, ummmmmmmm ... several items have caught my eye.
36.gif
......so did you conquer your case of the blahs with "retail therapy"? If so, whaddyaget??

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don''t have any self restraints!... I just bought these!
emembarrassed.gif

pearlnecklaceearrings.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results