shape
carat
color
clarity

New to Forum, but second time getting engaged!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scorptress

Rough_Rock
Wow this forum is filled with so much wonderful info! I have a slight issue. I have been married once before and needless to say , that didnt work out so well. I still have the diamond from my last engagement ring and would like to sell it. What would be the best way to do that? Thing is i have no idea if it is a certified diamond! (When i got engaged the first time i was clueless, all i wanted was a nice pretty diamond that sparkled, lesson learned!!!) Would it be worth sending it out to get certified or just take a loss. Ive taken it to jewlers, and on average they are offering 1500 cash or store credit for it. Its .95 of a carat, Marquise , more short and wide, not the typical long and narrow shape of a Marquise, when the jewlers look at it they have commented it reflects alot of fire an life. (mind you i have NO idea about diamonds, but when i look at it,it looks white)It is not set. I know all of this info in not nearly enough to get good advice. But im just wondering if i should just take the 1500 and run LOL.

Now for the fun part!!! Shopping for a NEW Diamond!! This time around i''d like to KNOW what i am getting before we buy. We have been looking at stones for about 2 months now. I have very long slender fingers, i tried a 1 carat on and it looked tiny?? Seemed kind of odd to me. Do Princess cuts appear smaller? I know that i want a Princess cut, as for size, .95- 1.75. As for the rest of the "C''s", i just want it clean to the eye with a good clean color. (no shades of yellow that i would be able to see) Beyond the *basic C''s*, anything else is like a different language to me. Please help me understand this tricky diamond stuff!!!!

The first time my partner bought an engagement ring he bought it in the Diamond District in NYC. So he knows what to expect IF we go there. Im wondering if it really is a good place to try IF you know what your looking for?

Hope someone can help!!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a 1 ct princess cut could easily look smaller than a 1 ct marquise.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Scorptress,

Selling a diamond right now is tough. Selling an uncertified marquise is even tougher. I know a lot of dealers right now simply aren''t buying at any price, so if you have a $1,500 offer on the table it is probably your best bet.

As to your new purchase, you can maximize your purchasing power by getting educated online and buying the lowest color/lowest clarity diamond you''re comfortable wearing. For you that''s probably an H/I color and SI2 clarity, but spend some time looking at diamonds in stores to be sure. The diamond search function at the top of the page is a also a good place to gauge prices.

Good luck and have fun!

Scorptress

Rough_Rock
Jim,

I just spoke with the lady i bought my first e-ring from, she "claims" the diamond is a SI1, I color. It does have a pinpoint, (i believe thats what it is called) a cloudy, white small round spot in it that i can see when looking at it. What level should i go to if i do not want to see those type of flaws? On the other side of it, when i hold it a foot away i dont see it, but when i bring it close i can SEE it. I believe , if i use the wording correctly, its not Mind clean cause i know its there and bugs me!!! lol

Thanks for all the help!!

Also if i want to have a bit more size what would be the best to go lower with, color or cut?

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Scorptress,

If you can see the inclusion with your eye then the clarity rating is somewhere between SI1 and I1. No way to really tell without a proper appraisal or cert. Since it bugs you though, your new diamond will have to be an eye-clean SI1 or SI2. Those aren''t terribly difficult to find, but you do need to be a bit choosy.

Color is more subjective, but many people begin to detect warmth around I or J, especially in fancy shapes. You specifically said you wanted "no yellow", so I would start with those colors and work your way up the scale as necessary.

Skimping on cut is highly frowned on around here, although I personally don''t mind a "B+" student if I''m making up for it in size, color or cash. Cut vs Size vs Color vs Budget is going be an issue of preference, so the more diamonds you can examine and the more research you do the better decision you''ll make in the end.

Scorptress

Rough_Rock
Jim,

Thanks for much for the info. I did a search on jamesallen.com :) and found some pretty stones. One i liked was a VVS2 I color cut-ideal, table 68 %,70 % depth, and the measurements 6.36,6.07,4.25. carat 1.30.

Now having said that its a cost of 4920. . I wanted to try to find a diamond around 1.50, due to the princess cut looking a little small at a carat. Is it at all possible to stay at 5 k for the diamond and being around 1.50? An not giving up a eye clean stone? Princess Diamond

I noticed im not stuck on a color or cut YET, but what part can give a little to get a larger stone? I do need a eye clean stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 8:32:16 AM
Author: Scorptress
Jim,

Thanks for much for the info. I did a search on jamesallen.com :) and found some pretty stones. One i liked was a VVS2 I color cut-ideal, table 68 %,70 % depth, and the measurements 6.36,6.07,4.25. carat 1.30.

Now having said that its a cost of 4920. . I wanted to try to find a diamond around 1.50, due to the princess cut looking a little small at a carat. Is it at all possible to stay at 5 k for the diamond and being around 1.50? An not giving up a eye clean stone? Princess Diamond

I noticed im not stuck on a color or cut YET, but what part can give a little to get a larger stone? I do need a eye clean stone.
The diamond above has potential, ask Jim for an Idealscope image of the diamond. You could also look at VS clarities which will very often be completely eyeclean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results