shape
carat
color
clarity

New to Diamonds. Trying to buy Engagement Ring! Help!

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
I'm searching on Blue Nile because they have the setting that I want and I could use some help! I found what I think is a nice diamond but I don't really know much about diamonds except what I have read in the past couple of days. Any input and information would be appreciated

Specs:
Carat weight 0.80
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color H
Clarity SI1
Length/width ratio 1.01
Depth % 62.3%
Table % 56.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet None
Fluorescence Medium
Measurements 5.94 x 5.89 x 3.69 mm

I contacted Blue Nile and was told that the diamond is Eye-Clean and I have attached the GIA report!

I don't really know what a "twinning wisp" is and would it effect the diamond if it is eye clean?
Would this be a good diamond?

I found another:
Carat weight 0.80
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Color H
Clarity SI1
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 62.4%
Table % 56.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence Faint
Measurements 5.92 x 5.94 x 3.70 mm

screen_shot_2016-02-27_at_4.png

screen_shot_2016-02-27_at_0.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the measurements you listed, you left out the crown and pavilion angles. I can hardly make out the numbers on the grading report. But I think it has crown angles at 36 which means there is risk of leakage, and since they don't supply light return images, it is best to stay within safer parameters.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

crown angle: 34-35.0

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0)

Also, there is a screening tool for GIA ex cut stones:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

You want to see Excellent on light return, fire, and scintillation, and very good on spread. An overall score of 2.0 or lower means a diamond is worth exploring further (but a 1.0 isn’t necessarily better than 1.9).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Twinning wisp is growth of another diamond along the diamond's growth plane. Twinning wisps can be invisible to naked eye because of their inherent spreaded pattern as opposed to concentrated (for example a crystal or feather). However in lower clarity diamonds a lot of twinning wisps could make the diamond hazy/cloudy.
They might also appear as thin cloudy lines but clouds are a collection of very tiny pinpoints that would be illegible on their own but in a group look like cloud. Also they don't appear on a diamonds growth plane like twinning wisps.

Good luck with your search.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
The Crown angle is 36 and Pavillion 40.6 on both of those diamonds. They both have a rating of 1.8 on that tool.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrittyRo|1456633982|3996842 said:
The Crown angle is 36 and Pavillion 40.6 on both of those diamonds. They both have a rating of 1.8 on that tool.

It is important to utilize ALL tools available to you.

We recommend to stay within the ideal ranges that DS2006 provided you.
crown angle: 34-35.0
table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0, if matched with 34 crown angle)

40.6/36 can be good (HCA score is less than 2). I will definitely consider the combo as long as price is right and there is no significant light leakage But 40.6/35.5 is arguably better. 40.6/35 is arguably even better.

Plus, the depths is slightly deep at 62.3 and 62.4, which are perfectly within the ideal ranges. But if I can be greedy, I would like to see something shallower to give better spread.If I am buying a 0.8 carat stone, my goal is to get 6.0 mm diameter or something really close to that

Keep looking

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Ok following the parameters that you provided I found this diamond:

Would the medium blue florescence be a problem?

screen_shot_2016-02-29_at_4.png

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Bump? The diamond came back as eye clean. Price $2,904

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A potential winner :love: price is reasonable as well.
The numbers are good. That's the first step.

Now put the stone on hold, ask for actual image and idealscope scope and/or ASET images to see any light leakage.
Also ask the vendor about any presence of negative effects from medium flou (eg haziness/milkiness)

Edit: I forgot.. it is from bluenile. It is highly unlikely they will provide you with those images.
Again, the numbers are excellent. BN has a good return policy if you dislike the stone

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
They actually did provide a picture! I see some inclusions on the bottom of the stone but don't know what magnification it is at. They stated it is eye clean from 6-8inches away. They do not have idealscope images however.

_2224.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results