shape
carat
color
clarity

New to CS, please help me with a new project!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
902E3769-5368-4E88-BDA9-F7EEB03526BB.jpeg Hi guys
I am over on RT a bit but never posted on CS. I am very much a CS noob. I am looking to upgrade my diamond which is currently in a setting with tapered baguettes. I want a new setting and diamond for my engagement ring, and to put a coloured stone in with the tapered baguettes as a right hand ring.
I like the colors light pink and blue, maybe yellow. I prefer stones which have facetting on them as opposed to smooth stones.
The current diamond is 6.23x6.25x3.86mm round (for anyone who’s interested it’s a .918 H SI1 Brian Gavin signature and I have it for sale on loupetroop and the preloved forum)
I was thinking of maybe having a cushion shaped coloured stone instead of round but I don’t know if it would work to have it set in this setting? Also I have noticed coloured stones seem to be deeper than diamonds so not sure if this will be a problem either?
Essentially I’m asking for help on what sort of stone you think would look and work best with this setting, and where should I begin looking? Please help!
Thank you :kiss2:

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
Are you planning to wear it every day? While diamonds are all quite hard, some colored stones are more delicate and not suited to every day wear. A sapphire is very hardy and they come in many of the colors that you like. Most are oval cut due to the natural shape of the rough but it wouldn't be too challenging to find rounds. Spinel would also be another good choice for your preferences. Aquamarines are also lovely and a personal favorite of mine, but beryl is sometimes too brittle for everyday wear, depending on how rough you are on your hands.

To get you started with looking, Mastercut gems is having their end of year sale at the moment and Gemrite is starting a week long 25% off sale next week. Those would be good places to look for quality stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a side view of the setting? It might or might not take a cushion CS.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t forget, the head (the prong bit) may not be reusable after removing the diamond anyway and it’s no trouble and not a huge expense to put a new head on. That way you can be more flexible with shape and size.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
8E3B40EC-4C99-4AB6-871B-5752232A931B.jpeg Wowow, thank you so much guys!!! Here is a pic of the side of the setting, it is quite low set. I’m not sure if the prongs can be changed without having to dismantle the entire ring.
I don’t think I will wear it every day, maybe on weekends and special occasion.
I love those first two blue sapphires and even though green isnt my colour(I think) I love that green stone!!!
What do you guys generally think about James Allen sapphires? They don’t seem to be as highly regarded on these threads? Certainly the stones on JA don’t look anywhere near as nice as the ones you guys have listed, is that cutting or lighting? Is cut important for CS like for diamonds?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you thought of a chrysoberyl? They are beautiful, blingy, and hard.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results