shape
carat
color
clarity

New Tiffany Keys - What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
My oldest daughter will be 19 on Saturday and I still don''t have a present for her. I saw the keys on the Tiffany home page and thought they would make a cute necklace. What do you think? I''m leaning toward a silver one, and one of the smaller keys. I like the bead chain, but my other daughters like the traditional chain. There is also an oval chain that looks nice.

I am also leaning toward the key that says Tiffany & Co at the top, but I like the figure 8 hole type design as well.

What do you think about these necklaces?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=24513017&mcat=148204&cid=573050&search_params=s+2-p+1-c+573050-r+101323338-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I checked several of the silver ones out in person a while back. Like you I favored the T&CO one from the pic but in person they weren''t so interesting and the only ones I really liked were the diamond encrusted ones (LOL).

If I wanted something in the $200 price range from Tiffany''s I would always go for something Elsa Perreti. An initial necklace or maybe one of the eternal circles. The new ones in crystal, onyx or amethyst, etc are v. cool IMHO.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cinnamon, it's interesting that you asked just now because I had considered starting a thread on this topic, too...or, at least, on a similar one. My elder niece just turned 21 and I wanted to get her a unique gift. When I was searching for a high school graduation present for my younger niece my hairdresser had suggested a Tiffany key. (I did not get her one. Both girls like sterling silver and my father got her a sterling silver charm bracelet so I got her a first charm-for graduation-to put on it.)

At any rate, when my elder niece had her birthday I considered the Tiffany key, but after a lot of looking I decided to go with a necklace that I think would be special to my niece, who really loves pink: this sterling silver Etoile heart with pink sapphires on a chain. The keys are trendy, but I wanted something that would speak to my niece, and I thought that the pink would delight her.

Edited to add to ksluice: I considered a silver heart shaped Paloma Picasso pendant with one pink sapphire on a chain and also a silver heart shaped Elsa Peretti pendant with one pink sapphire on a chain, but in the end I knew that my niece would prefer the abundance of pink in the Etoile heart I eventually chose.

AGBF
34.gif

EtoileHeartCharmPink.jpg

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would suggest something more classic instead of the keys. Maybe a solitaire or a classic pendant. I just don''t see these types of necklaces lasting that long and you want something that she will want to wear for a long time.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I saw the diamond incrusted ones quickly yesterday at Tiff. They are VERY pretty. I am getting one for my best friend -as a wedding gift. Her dad gave her an old skeleton key when we were in grade 3 and told her it was ''the key to her heart" and not to just give it to anyone. Since then she has loved the key as a symbol and almost got a tiny tatoo of one for her 30th b-day (chickened out in the end). To us, it will have meaning b/c i remember her toting that key around everywhere!

I agree they are not as timeless as other jewlery pieces, but still pretty neat.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I just home from Tiffany''s. The small keys were too tiny in the silver. The larger ones were very nice. Those diamond ones are awesome but out of my budget for her present. So I got the little round pendant I linked to.

I think the diamond ones or the yellow gold ones would make a terrific present. I would even recommend the larger ones. But the small ones are just too small.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the info. I thought about getting one for my sister for a milestone BD--but maybe not now you mention the size. Unfortunately, ther are no stores where I live to see the collection--only boutiques--and they carry a small selection of the products.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/8/2009 3:28:21 PM
Author: cinnamon013

I just home from Tiffany''s. The small keys were too tiny in the silver. The larger ones were very nice. Those diamond ones are awesome but out of my budget for her present. So I got the little round pendant I linked to.

I think this is classic and timeless, cinnamon. My mother had some Georg Jensen sterling silver jewelry that she bought in the 1940''s. I considered giving my niece a piece of (new) Georg Jensen jewelry and telling her that she could start her collection now and that I would be giving her some of her grandmother''s antique jewelry when she got older. The truth was that there was no Georg Jensen piece that I saw on-line that I liked as much as the Tiffany pieces I saw, however. If I had had easy access to a Georg Jensen store, the situation might have been different.

AGBF
34.gif

ElsaPerettiRoundPendant.jpg

mdyer

Rough_Rock
I love Monica Rich Kosann for really special and unique gifts I think the carpe diem is really cute for graduation - very appropriate!

http://www.thefineartoffamily.com/jewelry/miniatures/silver-mini-floral-disc-necklace.php
http://www.thefineartoffamily.com/jewelry/miniatures/gold-mini-floral-disc-necklace.php
http://www.thefineartoffamily.com/jewelry/charmed-life/carpe-diem-rock-crystal-necklace.php

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with you exactly on the keys. There is just something lacking in the small ones, maybe its the sparkle.
2.gif

I love the pendant you chose though. I think the circle is both beautiful and a timeless classic! She''ll love it!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen the Tiffany keys in real life, just on bus-shelter ads, but "key to my heart" charms are a venerable motif in jewelry, popular at different periods throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Often a key would fit a heart-shaped padlock charm. I have a late-19th century bracelet, for example, that;s a silver chain with a heart-shaped padlock for a clasp. (It probably once had a key, too, but the key''s long gone.)

So I wouldn''t worry too much about the key necklace going out of style. If it does, it will come back in again sooner or later.

But I don''t think it will be "unique," either. Probably lots of other girls will have the identical necklace.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Great choice Cinnamon.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I , also, have now seen the keys in person. I would have told you I was not about to set foot in a Tiffany''s, but my daughter informed me of the existence of a store not too far from where we live in Virginia and begged me to take her there to look. I told her that we would not be buying anything there under any circumstances, but agreed to drive her there to browse.

All I have to say is that the combination of a large gold key together with a tiny silver-toned metal key (I have no idea what the metal was) set with a diamond on a pendant is exquisite.

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/10/2009 9:50:42 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

I actually liked the small silver keys. I rather wished they came in white gold, as well.. I''m just not a platinum lover and I don''t wear yellow gold.
7.gif
SDL,

At first I thought that you meant that you wished that the keys came in white gold, but I looked and there were five keys that did come in white gold. Did you mean that you wished the very smallest key that comes in sterling with one diamond was also available in white gold? If so, I am with you. I wish it were available in platinum! Maybe we should ask Tiffany''s to make us up a special order: one white gold for you and one platinum for me!

AGBF
34.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have that pendant! I posted a thread about it a long time ago. It is really nice and goes with lots of different things. My only complaint is that it already needs a polish even though I have worn it a few times. I think it is just the oil from my skin. I was also thinking of taking off the chain, and getting a black silk cord...

I know she is going to love it, good choice.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love them.. I really really like the gold quartrefoil one..

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
I am totally in love with the tiny platinum key encrusted in diamonds...
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=24469042&mcat=148204&cid=573050&search_params=s+5-p+2-c+573050-r+101323340-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

...but I think in the end I am going to get the small 18k gold key. I thought about the silver, but there''s something somehow more vintage about the gold that goes with the style of the pendant. http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=24513033&mcat=148204&cid=573050&search_params=s+5-p+2-c+573050-r+101323339-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
My 19 year old loved the pendant I got her. She is in Texas for the summer so I haven''t actually seen her wear it yet. I love having her all grown up but I sure do miss her!

Now, my little 10 year old is about to turn 11 and she loves the "key to my heart" thing. She read all the twilight books in about 2 weeks and is such a smart thing. I am considering these etsy necklaces for her as she was super bummed when I didn''t get the Tiffany key for her sister and got the other one instead. Check out these cute neckaces http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5154768&section_id=5763766

Yes I know they aren''t Tiffany, but my 10 year old loves stuff like this! The seller can change the chain to a lighter one and shorten it a bit to accommodate my lovely little girl.

Oh geez, my middle daughter will be 17 in August. A birthday every month of the summer!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results