shape
carat
color
clarity

New Test (Isee-2) automatically measures and grades diamond sparkle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Just saw this. Leonid/Gary/etc. -- have you seen this in action? Is this a revolutionary product?

New test Lets Shoppers Measure Diamond's Sparkle

LONDON (Reuters) - Jewelers in the U.S. and Japan may find it easier to entice shoppers to part with their cash this Christmas, thanks to a new counter-top box that claims to let customers measure a diamond's sparkle.

International dealer Overseas Diamonds has developed an electronic scanner that gives a numerical rating for a diamond's ability to capture and reflect light, or what jewelers simply call a stone's "sparkle."

The Antwerp-based company also says the device, called the "Isee-2," will allow buyers to verify the provenance of stones, by reading laser-engraved trademarks and serial numbers.

The launch follows diamond industry moves to boost demand by branding stones and countering concerns about "conflict diamonds," stones which are said to fund wars in Africa.

Systems of certification for the color, weight and clarity of a stone exist but Overseas Diamonds say the variety of systems confuses buyers and that all ignore the diamond's sparkle, which is largely the result of its cut.

"Ninety-nine percent of first time diamond buyers are confused and threatened by the purchasing process," Overseas Diamonds Chief Executive Davy Lapa told Reuters.

However, jewelers at Hatton Garden, London's jewelry quarter, were skeptical the device could help business.

"People aren't uncomfortable about buying diamonds... the public are very astute most of the time," said Berman Stephen, who runs Arlington & Co. jewelers.

The Isee-2 gives a diamond grading between one and 10, which Lapa hopes shoppers will take as an objective rating of its overall quality.

De Beers, which controls around 65 percent of the world's $8 billion market in rough diamonds, said they were not involved in the Isee-2 project but backed such efforts to employ more sophisticated marketed techniques.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Here's their website:

http://www.isee-2.com/

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I have seen the Isee-2 in action. When my bf bought my engagement ring stone this past September from Robbins 8th & Walnut, they had just gotten a machine. I thought that it was a Robbins' device because I had never seen mention of it anywhere on the web.

My stone scored a 9.8 If the device has any merit(I will leave it to the experts opinions) I think I got a pretty good stone. :appl:

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
See I am not crazy :wink2: ,the isee-2 is now referenced on the Robbins Diamonds website. The url is:

http://www.robbinsdiamonds.com/

Has anyone else seen this machine in use? Does anyone know how it compares to the Brilliancescope because it only has brilliance and scintillation but adds symmetry in its assessment? Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have communicated with Davey Lapa about it before they released it. Got the PR pack in the mail. Very slick.
I think Gemex at Brillianscope have a reasonable case for breach of patent.

Has anyone got some more info?
Anyone compared the stones to BScope reports?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results