shape
carat
color
clarity

New Studs...Old Studs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock

I have two pair of diamond stud earrings. I no longer wear either pair as they are lack luster and never really sparkle, even have a good cleaning. One pair is from an ex BF. He bought them in the UK from a jewelry maker, but they are not very good quality stones. Both stones have inclusions visible to the naked eye and even an inexperieced diamond shopper can tell they are not well cut.

The other pair is a teeny tiny princess cut set (maybe 1/4 ctw at the most). My Dad bought them for me the same year the ex BF gave me the other pair. He bought them from Jared; they are better diamonds, but they still don''t sparkle the way I would ideally want a pair of studs to sparkle.

Here lies my question:

1. I took the earrings to the Shane Co b/c i know they buy stones that are not from them and sell them to various jewelers. Well, they wanted nothing to do with the first pair. But, the offered me $120 credit for the second pair. If I want to get studs, or any other item, from Shane Co, I have to spend double the credit, so $240. Then I can upgrade as many times as I want as long as I spend $1 more, so I can spend $241 or more on the next pair and so on and so on...until I reach my desired set of studs. This is appealing to me as I don''t have to fork a big chunk of change at one given time.

2. I can take the second pair to Jared. I do not know their upgrade policy as well, but I know they will let me do it. I have seen some of their stones and they are not as nice as the Shane Co ones. I don''t think they buy outsides stones, so the first pair seems destined to be with me forever...

3. or do i try to sell both pair elsewhere and if so, where?? and get a new set of studs online? I know WF has an upgrade policy, but they do not buy outside stones. Do you know somewhere that buys outside stones?

What are your suggestions???

PLEASE HELP!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Neither of those stores are known for having outstanding diamonds. It''d make more sense to sell the two sets on eBay for a small profit and use that toward an online purchase. Online vendors are so much more affordable that you''re money (even if it''s less than what Jared''s and Shane Co are offering as a credit) will still be worth as much and you''ll be more likely to find a fabulous pair of diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, it will be hard to get much for them. Your best bet is to start over, and I agree that WhiteFlash is an excellent place to do it since they have excellent quality stones. You can buy the size you can afford now and upgrade over time. I wouldn''t consider buying from the other stores just because they''d give you a few dollars for the old earrings. I''d save the old earrings to give to a future daughter or niece, etc.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I''d go to Jared''s and check out their upgrade policy first. Then I''d compare the actual diamonds at Jared''s, Shane Co. and a few different PS vendors. Look into how well cut they are, and the carat weight/color/clarity and pricing.

And if the diamonds from Shane Co. or Jared''s are so much more expensive than the diamonds from PS vendors that the credit won''t make a difference, I would just go with a PS vendor with a good upgrade policy, like WF.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will end up being better to go with a PS vendor and just use the credit at Shane Co. or Jared''s towards a watch/bracelet/necklace/whatever. Or you could just keep both sets of studs for the sentimental value and pass them along to a niece/daughter in the future. It might be nice to keep the ones from your dad for that purpose.

(Hope the first two paragraphs make sense!)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m torn between New Studs and Old Studs. On the one hand, New Studs have more stamina, they''re "shinier" and are more likely to have a six pack...but on the other hand, Old Studs have more expertise
31.gif
and know how to work the equipment...Oh, you meant ear studs?!? Sorry...never mind then.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 9:23:16 PM
Author: surfgirl
I''m torn between New Studs and Old Studs. On the one hand, New Studs have more stamina, they''re ''shinier'' and are more likely to have a six pack...but on the other hand, Old Studs have more expertise
31.gif
and know how to work the equipment...Oh, you meant ear studs?!? Sorry...never mind then.

Hee hee, you are too funny!
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results