shape
carat
color
clarity

New Stone is Loose!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
HORRORS! My new ring''s center stone is loose! If someone had not just posted that thread recently - I do not know that my subconcious would have even noticed the noise... I don''t know how I heard it but thank goodness I did. I cleaned it this morning - I haven''t banged it tht much - is showering with it on really detrimental?

How common is this in new rings? Is it because of the resizing? I do not think they removed the stones... can that do it? Is it the lotion I put on my hands? I can wear a ring guard but what will protect me from another loose stone falling out before I detect it - only insurance? Will I have to be on alert at all times for this horrible noise?

Well, no need for me to get crazy I noticed it in time. I just wonder for the future...

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The subject of loose diamonds was recently discussed here on PS on this thread which might answer a lot of the questions and concerns you are having right now... Don't panic, it is something easily solved, but read the thread because it was quite good. Contact whoever sold you the ring so that they can fix it for you...

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! That's exactly the thread that I think gave me heightened awareness! I just do not know if a new ring can experience metal memory? Can dropping it a very short distance (in the sink basin) be enough to dislodge the stone?

I will try not worry! I just can't get it to the jeweler til Sat.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear this wallace! I was entirely freaked when I heard mine rattling. The jeweler tightened it and hammered prongs in in less than 5 minutes.

One thought occurred to me while I was kickboxing at class the other day.
2.gif
I wear my ring with my gloves on and we hit the bag pretty hard. I would not be surprised if that constant repitious movement inside the glove is banging against the stone and caused it to loosen in the setting.

Though, knowing this won't make me not wear the ring. I have insurance on it. I will just take it to get it tightened again if necessary. I love wearing my ring and hate taking it off for anything. Even though it stabs me in the hand when I kickbox.
2.gif
But at least now I know what may have caused it...I was not in a class where we hit the bag before I got the new stone from WhiteFlash, so this jarring movement would not have happened with the old ring/stone.

rothko

Rough_Rock
You wear your ring while kickboxing?!

Wow, that's incredible. I, a guy who is in the process of purchasing a ring, have much to learn!

There should be a thread called "What's the most extreme thing you've done while wearing your ring?" or "Where's the most extreme place you've been while wearing your ring?"

Lets hear it!

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
"But at least now I know what may have caused it...I was not in a class where we hit the bag before I got the new stone from WhiteFlash, so this jarring movement would not have happened with the old ring/stone."

Pleased you thought of this, Mara, as the diamond was tightly set when the ring was shipped.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Wallace,

Sorry to hear about the loose diamond. I hate hearing about things like this because they make people worry. I hope that you can get it tightened up soon with no problems and that it doesn't happen again.

I just wanted to add something to this thread. I know that it's not impossible for a vendor to send you a diamond that is not tight in its setting, despite what they might say (this is no way a comment against Lesley--I bought my diamond ring elsewhere). I know this because it happened to me. My diamond was loose when the ring was one day old, straight out of the box. I just happened to notice it when I was cleaning it. Also, I know of at least one other person who has had this happen to them when the ring is brand spanking new.

I have to say that I find this sort of problem incredibly irritating because in a situation where you buy a ring from an internet vendor, it's not simple to just pop back in and get it tightened where you bought it. So I got mine done locally, and now my prongs aren't as symmetrical as they were in the beginning. Nothing terribly noticeable, but there is a difference. I'm lucky in that it won't bug me forever because I'm sending the ring back for another reason this summer (upgrading), and I assume that they can take care of all of this then.

In an unrelated note, there is also a tiny dot of porosity happening on the bottom of the shank, which should not have passed quality control, either. I have seen people post pictures every once in a blue moon with other problems that have nothing to do with wear and tear.

All that to say... Vendors, more attention to quality control please! Make darn sure those stones are tight and the mountings are perfect BEFORE you ship them out!

Daniela

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone. Mara, be careful! You might break you finger because that bone will give before the diamonds will!

So I guess no one knows if soap if a problem.
I did drop it in the sink while I was cleaning it...

But if this kind of contact will loosen stones, then we'd never be able to wear our rings without becoming paranoid!

I am with you Daniela, there does seem to be something about the ring being new... I am going to try to set up a poll to see how many new rings (not refitted - to remove the metal memory issue) had loose stones within three months of purchase. I'm not overly concerned but it is uncanny...

If it is a phenomenon that people can be prepared for then we should warn them so they don't freak out. Also, beucase I satarted worrying about how delicate I have to be with this ring. I do not want to have to baby it completely! But how much everyday wear and tear can it take?

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Wallace,

I second your idea for a poll. It is actually one of two polls that I wanted to do myself, except don't know how.

My other poll hankering was to ask the question, "have you ever chipped a diamond or known anyone who has?" My theory is that this happens more than people think, based on what I've read on this board.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, everyone - I just spoke with my jeweler who said the mild wear and tear I have given it thus far - even the link in the sink - should not dislodge the stone. I have an uncommonly honest jeweler, that's why I treasure him!, and he actually said that this is not an uncommon occurence in new stones. He said that it happens about 15%-20% of the time. That statistic is close to waht I would have guessed from looking at PS. Maybe we can figure it out! Maybe there is metal memeory in new ring's, too. I will try to set up the poll - and if it woorks, I will do your other question, Daniela!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Lesley...before I thought of that I was stumped and a little disturbed. Having had my ring before that for a year +...was surprised that within a month the prongs were loose.

Yes the jeweler 'hammered' the prongs in...we actually heard the hammer and looked at each other and kind of raised our eyebrows but obviously by then it was too late. I looked pretty closely at the head afterwards for any sort of damage but it looked fine, the only thing that maybe I thought had happened was something that Daniela noted as well which was that the prongs may not be exactly entirely symmetrical now...I'm not sure if this is psychosis from knowing they hammered (and they only did 2 prongs), or if its really there. Greg said it looked fine but I am the psycho who is obsessed with the ring. Also alot of times your eyes play tricks on you with symmetry and the prongs, depends on which way I look at my ring as to how it appears! So I decided I was just paranoid.

Plus like Daniela, I intend to get an upgrade maybe late late this year or early next, so it's not as though this is the last head the ring will have.

Wallace..dropping it in the sink would not dislodge the stone...it may have not been set 1000% correctly originally. Rings are pretty hardy. I only figured out the kickboxing thing because we wear really large gloves and I hit the bag pretty hard (hard enough to move it across the floor) and I realized the actual diamond was pressed against the glove exactly where I hit the bag. So the pressure there and the jarring movements inside the glove...prime loosening activity I am sure. Of course I can't bring myself to not wear my ring...it's part of me!!

At least now that I know it's easy to fix the loose prongs...I am not worried as I was before.
2.gif
I will just keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results