shape
carat
color
clarity

New spinel quandry and ANOTHER impulse buy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No pics yet... SORRY!!!!!!! Don't kill me. Will get them tomorrow I PROMISE.

My spinels arrived. And the color is LOVELY. They are an orangy red and the sparkle. I went to a jeweler and they set them over a diamond halo mounting and they looked STUNNING. But did not look as good at all set into a plain bezel mounting so my original earring design is scratched. They one of them is a little out of round... but I don't think it's overly noticable-- especially when set. And they are not 4.9 mm each, they are 4.8... but they really are a lovely color.

I'm not sold on them though. I think I'd like a larger pair. About 6 mm if I'm going to go through the expense of setting them in halos. So I'm thinking about returning them. Don't know yet though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170134789380&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

I ALSO went to another jewler... wanted to see what types of settings they had for the little guys. And I ran into this LOVELY 5.25 12 x 10 carat london blue topaz-- heat treated only. I don't usually like blue topaz but this one is a teal blue color... similar in color to this one on Acstones I was considering. But it's a fatter oval, which I prefer and it's bigger. Lovely, no window... SO beautiful. So I bought it and I LOVE it. It's so lovely. I took it out into the sun and it was just beautiful. Gonna look great set into a halo pendant or east west in a halo ring. Lemme tell ya. Or... if I want to spend a little more. Set into a three stone with half moon sides.

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=2273

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I''d very seriously consider getting them set as studs and get separate diamond halos that you can wear with other center stones. Leon makes some and so does WF, among others, I''m sure. But you''d need to decide the size halo you wanted so that you know the size center stone studs to buy.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2007 8:15:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Gypsy, I''d very seriously consider getting them set as studs and get separate diamond halos that you can wear with other center stones. Leon makes some and so does WF, among others, I''m sure. But you''d need to decide the size halo you wanted so that you know the size center stone studs to buy.
Oh yes!!! I like this idea. Because the cut and color of your stones is so nice why get larger ones and find that the color or cut isn''t as nice. Def get diamond halos.

Congrats on the Topaz. I''d love to see a photo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pricing jackets now. I like the simple setting and the jackets idea. I can get different 5 mm stones to work with them. Like a pair of Tsavorites.
30.gif
and maybe a pair of saphires.
30.gif
30.gif
. Very good suggestion DS thanks!

Stone hunter... the topaz is really lovely to me. It''s dark and saturated and REALLY teal blue. I love it. I was looking for a tourmaline with this color... and well, just found this and it''s perfect. Price was good too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belated... but here are the pics I promised.

My Topaz has a LOT of personality. It''s very mercurial-- at times it''s dark teal... and others it''s a brighter topaz blue. I tried to capture it''s moods in the pics I''m posting so you can see why I love it so much.

Gypsy London Blue 3.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another...

Gypsy London Blue 1.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy London Blue 2.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When it''s in a ''darker'' mood. Excuse the smudges.

Gypsy London Blue 4.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The garnets were REALLY REALLY HARD to photograph. The color and fire just would not translate in the light we had... so this is the only one that really comes close to the orangy red color of them-- but they still look pinky in this pic. They are really lovely and look FABULOUS next to brillance of diamonds. And they are a firey red orange. It really shows off their beauty.
27.gif

Gypsy Red Spinel.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your london blue topaz is beautiful! I love the garnets too! Looks like your collection is growing; fun!!!!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go gypsy!!!
36.gif
The London Blue Topaz is a stunner, and love the Garnets!!
30.gif
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy and Kaleigh. I really love the topaz. I have it on my nightstand in a glass topped vintage trinket box. I take it out and oogle it every night and morning. Can't wait to figure out what to do with it. I got good price on it too, which makes it all better!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

Those are Beautiful!!!!!

Linda

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Linda!

The bottom corner of the garnet on the left that I've (badly) circled (I use the term circled loosely) is the actual color of them.

Gypsy Red Spinel COLOR.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, your London Blue topaz is such a gorgeous color, I love it! I can''t wait to see what you do with it. I love the spinels, too. Such a perfect fall color. I agree on the diamond jackets. I love mine and they allow endless possibilities!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, very pretty topaz and garnets. I can''t wait to see what you do with them.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy, I guess it does not matter in the grand scheme of things, but I am a little cunfused. Is the pair of orange red stones garnets or spinels.

What ever they are they look lovely!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think *I* was the one confused. Or sleepy. Or both. They are spinels. SORRY!! I do have a 11 mm concave garnet, but these little fire balls are spinels.

THanks for the compliments everyone. I really am happy with them. And I am really enjoying expanding my collection.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANKS for posting photos. The stones look just wonderful. I know that it's really really hard to get the color your eye sees in a photo. Especially with orange stones.

I still think that the spinels should be haloed with diamonds and set as earrings. Of course I'm happy to spend your money this way!!!

What mm size is the topaz? It's a lovely color. Will it be a pendant or a ring?

ETA: sorry you already said topaz 10 x12 mm. How about posting your pendant and ring ideas and we'll vote on them?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Stonehunter!

I''ve got the projects on hold. The spinels will definitely be set into a 6 prong setting with adwar jackets. Just not now.

As for "Blue" as I''ve named my topaz... I don''t know what I want to do with him yet. I think I''m just enjoying having a collection. I''m already considering my next colored stone purchase.
27.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, Gypsy! I''d love to get some red spinels eventually because rubies are def. out of my price range!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 9:15:24 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Very pretty, Gypsy! I''d love to get some red spinels eventually because rubies are def. out of my price range!!
Yeah, my next buy is HOPEFULLY going to be another larger spinel. From the same vendor I got the topaz from. I''d like a larger reddish-orange one. It shape were my choice? A round or oval. But a cushion would be nice too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I was just researching extinction. I think my Topaz has quiter a bit of it. Can you guys tell from the pics?

I really do love my stone... but it''s big and I wouldn''t mind re-cutting it if it would make it look even better? It''s native cut.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
How lovely! I''m searching for red spinels myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results