shape
carat
color
clarity

New shared prong e-ring need OPINIONS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Danziez

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I''m new to this site but i love it!!! Ok so here is my deal. I just upgraded my e-ring and its is shared prong all the way around. I had it custom made and I love it except I''m not sure about the side profile of the ring. You see it was made so that the sides of the ring go up so that the stone stands out more (especially when I would add the wedding band) But I don''t know if it looks ok. To much metal? Should it just be even all the way around instead of going up like that? Please give me your opinions! Thanks so much!

Danziez

Rough_Rock
Pics of my ring

DANA30.jpg

Danziez

Rough_Rock
pic 2

Chrissy.jpg

Danziez

Rough_Rock
pic 3

Courtash.jpg

Danziez

Rough_Rock
pic 4

Daniel77.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:38:15 PM
Author: Danziez
Pics of my ring
Welcome to PS Danziez. I hope you find this to be a happy, helpful place!

Your ring looks very unique, and obviously you put a lot of thought into the custom work.

Would you perhaps be able to take some more photos? Like, one from the top down (so we can see how the stones look from above) and one from the side?

It's a bit hard to get a sense of it without all the views.

ETA I think you were posting more pics as I was typing: can we see one from the top down?

Danziez

Rough_Rock
pic 5

NKOV.jpg

Danziez

Rough_Rock
pic 6..sorry I''m new with posting pics and doing them individually was the only way I could figure it out! : )

Nic56.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Truthfully, it''s too much metal for my taste. I feel like it overwhelms the profile, and takes the focus away from the stone. JMHO, though.

Danziez

Rough_Rock
yeah I was having problems with the pics but I got it now! What do you think? My main concern is the overall look of the profile. Is it to much? Weird? Or what? Comments please!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
wow! i think you ring is just beautiful. Have you considered making a smaller wedding band that matches the same as the ering band?

Danziez

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Yes for my wedding band it will be shared prong same size stones as the engagement ring all the way around. But it will not come up hight like the engagement ring. It will just be even all around like the entire bottom half of my engagement ring

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I like it. I think it is a lot of metal, but keep in mind when you add the shared prong wedding band, it''s going to cover up a lot of the exposed metal. I think it''ll be just fine!
2.gif

Danziez

Rough_Rock
This is true, but when I put the band it will only cover the side that I see!! AHHH see this is why its making me nuts!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:57:40 PM
This is true, but when I put the band it will only cover the side that I see!! AHHH see this is why its making me nuts!
Perhaps this just means that you need two bands!
2.gif
2.gif

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 9:01:24 PM
Author: k9muttlover

Perhaps this just means that you need two bands!
2.gif
2.gif

Haha That''s exactly what I was thinking!

Personally I kinda like it! I usually don''t like a lot of metal, but the way it slopes down from the center is actually really pretty IMO.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Danziez, since you asked for opinions I''ll say that it''s a bit too much metal for me personally (but I tend to prefer more open metalwork in settings), however, your opinion is all that matters. May I ask why you wanted the center stone so high up? I ask because from the top down, I dont think the look is dramatically different in terms of the larger center stone being surrounded by smaller rounds...I dont think the way it is now sets the center stone more prominently, if that is what you were going for. And while you will not see as much metal when you are wearing your wband, you will see it from the front...and if it is bothering you now, it likely will continue to bother you. Again, if you love it, then dont change a thing. But if you''re on the fence, maybe you could go try on some settings where the stones are set equally all around and see how that looks and feels to you.

Danziez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments. So you are saying that if the main stone was set lower then it would stand out more against the smaller stones?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:55:37 PM
Personally, I like it. I think it is a lot of metal, but keep in mind when you add the shared prong wedding band, it''s going to cover up a lot of the exposed metal. I think it''ll be just fine!
2.gif
DITTO.

It will be fine. The ring is beautiful from all sides, and looks lovely on your hand.

lovesparklies

Shiny_Rock
Hi Danziez!
A friend of mine has a similar setting except the sidestones are bezel set instead of prong set but from the side both your rings look the same. I love my friend''s set because it''s very sparkly -- it does seem to make the center stone stand out more which you said was the goal of your setting, too. Having the side stones come up high on the center stone also seems like it would protect the head and your center stone. Do you usually look at your ring from the top or do you most often see it from the side? As the others have said, it all depends on how much it bothers you. I think it''s beautiful, though!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
While it may look like a lot of metal, I like it. To me, it looks like a cathedral shared prong setting, which is different and quite cool! I agree that adding a shared prong wedding band will take away the metal profile. Wear it in good health!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not totally wild about the profile, since it does sort of look like too much metal.... buuuuut when you add a wedding band it will totally change the look of the profile! Can you try it on with a band like the one you plan to get for your wedding ring? With the second band, the e-ring will just peek over the top and it will look very different, and I suspect it will look great!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me the profile does show a lot of metal, but with a wedding band next to it, you won''t see that so much. I''d go try on bands, and see what you think. It''s a stunning ring!! Congrats on your engagement!!!
36.gif

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Can you have the setting changed? I think that you should trust your gut feeling -- the way it sweeps up so high like that does look strange and it will not stop bugging you until you have it fixed. I have had rings that had something odd about them that just kept nagging and nagging until I returned them and got what I really wanted. Your center stone looks large and so long as the stones in the band are kept small enough, the center one won''t get lost. I prefer low settings and think they look much more *high end* and classy.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that i like it. I just LOVE a shared rpong eternity, and that one looks like a "cathedral" style. It''s really pretty and unique.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks very architectural. I''m used to shared prong eternity rings with the head attached on top of the shank. Yours looks like the shank grows organically through the entire height of the ring. Yes, it''s more metal than I would prefer, but then again, I''m not a huge fan of the cathedral setting, either. If it is bothering you, it would be worth looking into a modified design. I think you could have the melee set at the same height and still have the center stone set higher, that is the look that you''d like. Some people like their center stones set really low, others like it set higher. How it changes your perception of the stone (does it look bigger, does it pop, is it smaller looking, etc.?) is a question I can''t answer. All I can say is that I prefer lower-set stones because I''m clumsy. It''s all about personal preference when it comes to how to set the lower stone, but if the extra height of the graduated melee is bothering you, maybe you should change it.

togal

Shiny_Rock
The ring is lovely. I like the cathedral setting. For my own personal taste, though, I would prefer the sides to be smooth rather than ribbed. I think it would give it a sleeker profile. This might have to be done in more of a bead setting in order to acheive that look, I''m not sure. Either way, there woulld still be the same amount of metal showing, which I don''t think is too much.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I think the profile is kinda ... majestic
I like it, it''s a dramatic look.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 8:55:37 PM
2.gif
I like it too. I think it might look strange now with the profile, but once you get the wedding band it will look good together.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
If it''s driving you nuts about the side of the ring you *can''t* see, then I have a feeling you are going to feel this way until something is done to the ring to change it somehow. I do think it is a beautiful, striking setting and that it will look gorgeous paired with a wedding band, but if you are worried about the side you can''t see, I think the only way to fix it is to have the center stone lowered and the surrounding diamonds with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results