shape
carat
color
clarity

New Rings - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
All -

Curious as to your input on the 2 pics below. One is of my custom ring (just made and not shipped) and the other is the ring on which the design was to be based. In my opinion, there are some pretty substantial differences.

What do you all think?

ChrisMerchant_0212.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous. I see the obvious changes in altering the design for a princess cut stone, but otherwise? The only other thing I see (and I''m not sure this ISN''T in the original design, because I can''t tell from the angle of the picture) is the thickness of the polished edges on the shank of the stone. It looks beautiful. What is different from the way you envisioned it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's missing the milgrain on the top of the shank. It needs it, in my opinion, to reflect the style of the example. And there is a little too much metal on the shank as well.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Hi I''m no expert but I think it looks really similar and really beautiful. The claws on your stone are different b/c they are the v claws since it''s a princess. But the work on the sides looks the same. The smaller stones all look about the same size as the stone size on the inspiration setting.

I think it is gorgeous I was even looking at this centre stone on WF b/c I am shopping for a stone around this size etc. Overall the ring is stunning you did great
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
I agree it is very similar, but my main concern is the size of the polished surface. I specifically asked when I saw the wax model whether or not the diamonds would go all the way to the sides of the band, similar to the picture below. I am disapointed to see that isn''t the case. To me, thats the biggest difference.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 6:18:27 PM
Author: taking_the_plunge
I agree it is very similar, but my main concern is the size of the polished surface. I specifically asked when I saw the wax model whether or not the diamonds would go all the way to the sides of the band, similar to the picture below. I am disapointed to see that isn''t the case. To me, thats the biggest difference.
Yes, this is the biggest difference in my opinion, but it''s hard to tell from the angle of the inspiration piece how big that polished part of the shank is? What did they say about whether or not the diamonds would go all the way to the sides of the band? This doesn''t seem an easy fix...since there are diamonds set into the sides.

DS2006, you must have crazy good eagle eyes if that center shank isn''t milgrained! I thought the center shank was milgrained, but that there was just thick bands of polished metal flanking either side.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is basically what I said above. I''d definitely have them add the milgrain. That will help reduce the appearance of such wide shiny strips on the shank.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 6:11:38 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
It''s missing the milgrain on the top of the shank. It needs it, in my opinion, to reflect the style of the example. And there is a little too much metal on the shank as well.

~~I agree...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 6:40:02 PM

That is basically what I said above. I''d definitely have them add the milgrain. That will help reduce the appearance of such wide shiny strips on the shank.

I 100% agree!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
the only thing I see is that the prong tips are different - but they need to be for the different stone shape.... what''s your concern?

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
I spoke with WF and they agreed to the major differences between the rings, in particular, the size of the polished surfaces on the shank. When we spoke on the phone, we were talking about different things, which led to the confusion. I sent WF a photoshopped picture showing the areas of concern and they agreed to remake the ring. It will put me back a few more weeks but I''d rather do it right and only get it shipped once. I can say that they have been very helpful and responsive.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 6:50:08 PM
I spoke with WF and they agreed to the major differences between the rings, in particular, the size of the polished surfaces on the shank. When we spoke on the phone, we were talking about different things, which led to the confusion. I sent WF a photoshopped picture showing the areas of concern and they agreed to remake the ring. It will put me back a few more weeks but I''d rather do it right and only get it shipped once. I can say that they have been very helpful and responsive.
I am very glad to hear this, because there was no way to fix that ring to be what you wanted. I am glad that they realized the error and are remaking the ring. Definitely better to get it done the way you want it, even though it requires waiting.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input. I sent them 4 pictures with numbered areas where I had concern. Additionally, I will pay extra scrutiny to the wax model this time around and send back any comments diagrammed on the photos they send me. Even though it''s tough to wait, I think the finished product will be worth it.

When I get pix of the wax as well as the final, I''ll be sure to post them here.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just as a FYI, the wax is usually thicker than the final product will be. So while I wouldn''t necessarily get freaked out by how thick the wax is, I would want them to spell out to me exactly how that will translate into XX thickness final product.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
Yes, the WF rep communicated that exact same thing about the wax being thicker and that is definitely true based on the original wax photos I received. In the end, we were talking about 2 different features of the ring when I voiced my original concerns. Just shows how tough it is to do some things over the phone.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, more points for WF.

The ring is beautiful and that stone is amazing. I can''t wait to see the finished product.

jeannine aka diver

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 8:25:52 PM
In the end, we were talking about 2 different features of the ring when I voiced my original concerns. Just shows how tough it is to do some things over the phone.
Yes it''s true...even in person when doing my custom halo I thought I was getting my point across but it turned out I wasn''t, the first time around. It''s nice to work with a jeweler who understands that communication has broken down and is willing to do what''s right to fix it. Definitely keep us posted!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree there''s too much metal and the band is much wider than the ring it was based on. I personally don''t like wider bands because the diamond appears smaller and is not "on display".

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The polished metal is a bit thick, but it is still a beautiful ring. I am sure that you will be very happy with your finished ring...hang in there!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I was just going to add that I think that the milgraining was there, it was just overshadowed by the wide strips beyond it. The ring is beautiful as is, however, it could be a lot closer to the design than it turned out. Glad WF agrees and are remaking it for you.

shay

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful!! However, I agree with a couple of the posters who mentioned it could use a little milgrain to maintain the vintage look. Very stunning ring!!!

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
I specifically asked WF(and included in my markups) questions about the milgraining, or lack thereof on the top. The rep assured me it was there but I marked it up just in case.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 6:11:38 PM
It''s missing the milgrain on the top of the shank. It needs it, in my opinion, to reflect the style of the example. And there is a little too much metal on the shank as well.
I agree, too. All in all it is pretty close. And a very pretty ring and stone I might add!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2007 6:50:08 PM
WOW that''s really good of them. Of course you want it done the way you want it done. Can''t wait to see some hand shots.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock
Onto the next part of the story, received the cadcam markups from WF. I like how the edges are smoother and really looks closer to the spirit of the main design. Still looks bulky but that''s mostly due to cadcam(according to WF). I''m hopefull the wax markup and final product will thin out slightly through the shank. Regardless, can''t wait for it to be completed.

ChrisMerchant_0223a.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good. I''m happy to hear that they are making the changes that you want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep. The custom one isn''t as delicate as the original. It''s a chunkier interpretation.

taking_the_plunge

Rough_Rock

Here are the updated wax photos of the ring from WF. They used their new cadcam machine to design the ring and carve the wax based off the image. I''m very pleased with the outcome. Apart from the prongs (which they will be smoothing out during finishing) I think it looks great. I''ve be more than satisfied with the support from WF. Looking forward to posting the final product.

WAX_0301.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results