shape
carat
color
clarity

New ring help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chymystry

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

When my wife and I got married, we purchased a .76c VS1 E color diamond for her ring. I want to suprise her for a big birthday by upgrading the ring.

My budget is 12-15k

Option 1: Buy the nicest diamond in my price range and replace her current ring (maybe 1.5-1.6c?). Color is a huge factor with my wife, clarity is second..

Option 2: By a matching diamond to my wifes first diamond and a larger diamond with the remaining budget (1.25-1.35c), and make a ring with a larger center stone and the two 3/4c diamonds on the sides..

What do you guys think, would the three stones be to big on the ring?

Some feed back would be appreciated.

TY!!

Date: 11/30/2006 7:52:32 PM
Author:chymystry
Hello all,

When my wife and I got married, we purchased a .76c VS1 E color diamond for her ring. I want to suprise her for a big birthday by upgrading the ring.

My budget is 12-15k

Option 1: Buy the nicest diamond in my price range and replace her current ring (maybe 1.5-1.6c?). Color is a huge factor with my wife, clarity is second..

Option 2: By a matching diamond to my wifes first diamond and a larger diamond with the remaining budget (1.25-1.35c), and make a ring with a larger center stone and the two 3/4c diamonds on the sides..

TY!!
no - 3 stones won''t be too big.... some people have 3 stones where the center is 3-5 carats and they still have side stones the size of yours or bigger LOL I think a 3 stone might be a nice sentiment - you could borrow the whole past present future thing when you come up with your sappy give it to her speech ;) Just remember that CUT is most important - more than color or clarity.... I don''t know how much it will cost to do a 3 stone, but I''m sure you could get a really nice solitaire for that price range :)

can''t you get credit for her current diamond for the upgrade? then you can go up on everything, size, cut etc...

i got a jeweler to take my diamond and i didn''t even buy the original w/ them... i think it''s worth a try!

i''d go for a bigger center stone and perhaps a decorative setting (like pave or channel set), but that''s me - what does she like???

and, by the way - what a sweetheart you are!!!
36.gif

I do think a 3/4 ct would be too big as a sidestone to a 1.25

Date: 11/30/2006 7:52:32 PM
Author:chymystry
Hello all,

My budget is 12-15k

TY!!

Hi and welcome. I would suggest getting the biggest center stone you can for the b-day surprise. If she wants a 3 stone you can always add those later to be in proportion to the stone. Since we don''t know if she''d want a 3 stone or not and you want to surprise her, go for the biggest diamond you can afford...

just another thought to throw out, some women customers i know don''t like the idea of taking their original engagement stone and placing it just as a side stone with another matching stone (i think it''s mostly a sentimental thing). the appeal of placing the original diamond as a pendant around their neck is sometimes preferred.

I vote for one large new stone and resetting the original stone as a nice pendant or possibly doing a three stone later. What a nice surprise for you wife!

Date: 11/30/2006 10:54:57 PM
Author: JulieN
I do think a 3/4 ct would be too big as a sidestone to a 1.25
I agree. The 3/4 ct would make a fabulous pendant, maybe with a thin bezel. Then she could wear her original stone close to her heart.

that''s what I did with mine, and I actually just reset it into a really neat halo with an airline on a thin chain and I am loving it! I think that, plus the new ring, is great, and like getting two gifts in one!

Wow guys thanks for the excellent feedback! I like the whole pendant idea.... I will look for some diamonds in my budget range and post them here for some advice from all. Thanks again for the ideas!!

This seems to be most bang for my buck with a good cut, f color or beter, VS1 or better... I don''t much about diamonds, what do you guys think?

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamond/1-62ct-EGL-Certified-Round-CUT-Diamond-AA241088.html

Stock Number AA241088
Certificate: EGL
Shape: Round
Cut: Select Ideal™
Carat: 1.62
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Regular Price: $14,317
Wire Transfer Price: $13,900

Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 7.58-7.53-4.66
Depth Percentage: 61.70%
Table Percentage: 55%
Girdle: TN-M
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None (Inert)

I agree, the 3/4 ct may be too large of a sidestone for a 1.25-1.35. I second the suggestion of setting it as a pendant, three-prong or bezel or halo.

Also, I don''t mean to thread-jack, but diamondfan, do you have photos of your halo pendant with an airline? I''m thinking of a project like this and would love to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP