shape
carat
color
clarity

New PS user in need of some help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Good evening everyone. I will be buying an e-ring in the next week or two and am in need of some specific advice. I have done a lot of research before finding this site, and after reading many threads here, I am a little more scared then I was before because of the wealth of knowledge that is needed (mainly the HCA score). Hopefully some of you can make me more confident in my final purchase. I most likely will be buying from blue nile (I will get about $500 cash back by using my chase credit card), but possibly union diamond. However, I am up for other suggestions if similar diamonds/settings are found elsewhere.

I would like to spend about $8,000 total, but am willing to go about $1,000 more if I am blown away. I would like at least 1.24 carat RB, with excellent cut of course, and basically the best quality possible. This is where my confusion comes in. I had previously thought that my color minimum was G, but after reading threads here would it be correct to say that an H is basically the same to the eye? If not please let me know because I want it to be as close to colorless as possible but still a "value buy." The same goes for clarity, I had previously set my minimum at VS2 because I definitely don''t want to see any inclusions. If they can be seen with magnification, thats no big deal to me. But, I have seen that a lot of people on here like SI1, and that many inclusions can''t be seen at this clarity. Is this just a diamond specific thing, where you kind of have to see the diamond to be able to judge whether you can see any inclusions?

As far as fluorescence goes, the only thing I don''t want is for the diamond to be in any way milky or cloudy because of this. I dont mind if it has a blue glow under UV rays. I think I would even prefer a medium blue due to the value I can get for it. However, one of the diamonds I am looking at is a combination of all these minimums that I am worried about.
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD01123903?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=1

The HCA score is 3.7. I am a little worried to get anything over 2.2 or so. This diamond is much bigger then I thought I would get for the money, mainly due to the SI1 and very strong fluorescence. Basically what I am asking is for any of your opinions on my above concerns with color, clarity, fluorescence, and HCA score. Would anyone feel confident that there is no visual problems with the above diamond. I think I already know the answer to that is no, but I am looking for others opinions because I have no one to talk to about this decision because I am planning it to be a surprise.

Sorry this is a long introductory post for me, but I wanted to put a lot of info first because I dont have internet at work so I cant post throughout the day.
Thanks for any and all information and opinions!!

Doug

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Oh btw, the settings I am looking at are in the range of $1000-$1800 so the diamond can go as high as about $7500 max.

Thanks, and any questions are more then welcome!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Doug welcome.

Yes, the HCA score is a problem on the one you found, I think.

You can use Blue Nile, but I''d prefer AGS, and I don''t see one for what you''re looking for.

Maybe something like this, but it won''t get your size. It''s $6886 based on wire pricing.

Best of wishes,

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
this one

I think this is more likely to meet all my needs, but deal seeker in me thinks it may be possible to get a bigger one with the same "look" to the unaided eye. Am I being unrealistic?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
That''s likely a nice one. The flor is giving you a probable discount, too. According to smart folks here, you''ll want to check this out with a reflector image to see that it''s performance proves out, but all seems favorable. Could you do better? Maybe, but probably not by much.

Best wishes,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 12:08:36 AM
Author: Regular Guy
That''s likely a nice one. The flor is giving you a probable discount, too. According to smart folks here, you''ll want to check this out with a reflector image to see that it''s performance proves out, but all seems favorable. Could you do better? Maybe, but probably not by much.

Best wishes,
Hi Doug,

I would definitely pass on the first diamond, the second might be ok but it is of an angle combo which really requires a reflector image such as Idealscope as Ira notes, in order to check this diamond out properly. However BN do not offer such services regrettably.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 5:26:54 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/7/2009 12:08:36 AM
That's likely a nice one. The flor is giving you a probable discount, too. According to smart folks here, you'll want to check this out with a reflector image to see that it's performance proves out, but all seems favorable. Could you do better? Maybe, but probably not by much.

Best wishes,
Hi Doug,

I would definitely pass on the first diamond, the second might be ok but it is of an angle combo which really requires a reflector image such as Idealscope as Ira notes, in order to check this diamond out properly. However BN do not offer such services regrettably.
Lorelei,

I was assuming a conservative stance in recommending reflector images...but I'm a little confused by your language. Is there a different set of proportions that you would regard as "more safe," so such images are "less" required? I ask, because just visually, plotting the 56, 61.8, 35, 40.8 in the HCA grid, it is near center to the AGS0 candidate proportion set.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35/ 40.8 is borderline steep deep so depending on angle rounding, I tend to take a cautious stance with this combo Ira and prefer to see IS images to check for any leakage, however this is one that could be perfectly fine as we know, but without IS it is difficult to tell.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, this helps me a little. What''s not borderline steep deep?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 7:25:53 AM
With GIA measurements I would shoot for CA 34/ PA 40.8 or CA 34.5/ PA 40.8 to be extremely prudent if working without a reflector. If an IS was available for the 35/40.8 then that could prove it is actually fine with little to no leakage but without that, it is one of the combos where it could go either way.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 7:30:58 AM

With GIA measurements I would shoot for CA 34/ PA 40.8 or CA 34.5/ PA 40.8 to be extremely prudent if working without a reflector. If an IS was available for the 35/40.8 then that could prove it is actually fine with little to no leakage but without that, it is one of the combos where it could go either way.
OK on the latter. But you know...34 & 40.8, plotted in the HCA chart, throws that proportion set outside of AGS0 candidacy...though closer to Garry''s center of the chart, yes.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 7:35:03 AM

OK on the latter. But you know...34 & 40.8, plotted in the HCA chart, throws that proportion set outside of AGS0 candidacy...though closer to Garry''s center of the chart, yes.
That lands just inside the edge of the HCA chart as far as I can see.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 7:46:27 AM

Date: 4/7/2009 7:35:03 AM

That lands just inside the edge of the HCA chart as far as I can see.
I double checked. Others? I''d say the cross hairs are outside. And, if you''d make your assessment based on which proportion set was more clearly consistent with the AGS0 box, I think it''s clear the 35 is more dead on than the 34...if you had to choose.

This is not to say the AGS0 proportion set needs to be your target. At 35, you''re closer to the green gunky stuff, which, with rounding as a possibility, is not attractive, and with 34, you''re closer to the warm center of the chart.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't always go by the AGS box Ira when I am choosing. Especially with GIA numbers I prefer the reflectors if possible, if IS and ASET aren't possible then I tend to err on the side of caution. I just double checked, 35/40.8 cross hairs are outside, I was thinking 34/ 40.8 so yes you are right!

I would take a look at this diamond Eagles - $7496.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_LD01484702

This one too - http://www.bluenile.co.uk/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-vs2-clarity_LD01119843 $7375

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably they track by your UK IP, but I can go to .co.uk... weird.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 8:55:12 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Probably they track by your UK IP, but I can go to .co.uk... weird.
Very strange...Thats why I add the US price as no matter what I do it comes up with the UK version now, it didn't normally do this....It does the same for me on the links you added....How odd.

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Thank you Regular Guy, Lorelei, and Stone-Cold11 for your responses. I am going to keep paging through these forums to hopefully gain as much info as possible then the day I decide I am going to purchase I will post my options and hopefully get opinions from you experts.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 10:10:42 PM
Author: Eagles4523
Thank you Regular Guy, Lorelei, and Stone-Cold11 for your responses. I am going to keep paging through these forums to hopefully gain as much info as possible then the day I decide I am going to purchase I will post my options and hopefully get opinions from you experts.
Thanks! By the way none of us are experts - just consumers. Please keep me posted as to how you get on!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 4:33:18 AM

Thanks! By the way none of us are experts - just consumers. Please keep me posted as to how you get on!
As Sylvester Stallone says....absolutely!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 10:22:33 AM

Date: 4/8/2009 4:33:18 AM

As Sylvester Stallone says....absolutely!
face20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results