shape
carat
color
clarity

New Project In The Works - MWM Wedding Set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I have a new project in the works, and am looking for opinions on whether to go with:

1) diamonds in both the wedding band and e-ring,
2) diamonds in wedding band and plain solitaire e-ring

and

1A) 4 heart prongs
2A) 6 heart prongs

and if I go with a plain solitaire, the mm width of the band should be

1B) 2mm
2B) 2.5mm
3B) 3mm

The diamond wedding band will be a bit over 3mm, as Mark has indicated 3mm will be the ideal size so that details of the setting will be "recognizable and small enough that the ring won''t be too thick on the finger".

I have gotten hubby to do a cad drawing on the different band width. All opinions will be muchly appreciated! Thanks
9.gif

SP32-20060615-093205.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.5 if plain with six heart prongs.

Or four heart prongs with diamonds in the band (I like the diamonds in the band... If I went plain... I''d have to be a pain and get two thinner bands for either side of the e-ring).

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, all the looks would be LOVELY! With Mark doing the work, and that big beautiful center stone... well, *PERFECTION* is pretty much guaranteed!

But, since you asked,
2.gif
here's my (humble!) opinion. I personally prefer the matched-set look of diamonds in both rings. And I also prefer 4 prongs over 6, and I think 4 perfect little MWM heart prongs would be just... well, *PERFECT*!
2.gif

BUT, all your choices are lovely, you really can't go wrong... and I can't wait to see what you choose! HOW FUN!!!!
36.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Just for fun, I think this is closer to scale:

SP32-20060615-095255.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Thks Lynn & Gypsy!

I have been thinking about a solitaire lately, just because I've done the diamonds in both rings before, and Mark's platinum polish is so perfect and I am liking the idea of letting the center stone take centerstage on its own.

Also, I am used to thin bands, and if I go with diamonds in both rings, the total width will be over 6mm, maybe 7mm. I'm not sure if that's a little too wide, and also I'm afraid it will take away from the center stone.

Ahh decisions decisions!

ETA: The stones in the diamond band has to be at least 3mm, so getting thinner diamonds bands to flank the plain solitaire is not really an option if I want a matched set.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet you''re gonna get opinions favoring all the different combos!!

I vote for
6 heart prongs
2 mm plain band

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference (and probably what I will get) is a plain platinum 6 prong solitaire at 2.5mm with the 3 mm diamond band. I love that sunburst solitaire but I''d want the prong tips minimized a little. I think the plain platinum band shows off the center diamond best.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh well... if you can''t get two 1.5 bands on either side... then... hmm. You''re right about Mark''s finishes... his rings are works of art. No diamonds needed. Considering that... what does he think, in terms of the number of prongs?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:12:31 PM
Author: Gypsy
Oh well... if you can''t get two 1.5 bands on either side... then... hmm. You''re right about Mark''s finishes... his rings are works of art. No diamonds needed. Considering that... what does he think, in terms of the number of prongs?

I have told him I prefer 4 prongs, but am open to suggestions. I kinda want to get all my ''wants'' defined before telling him for sure what I''ve decided. I don''t want to waste his time going to and fro cos I gathered he''s really really busy.

I emailed him before he updated his website about not taking on any more customers until further notice, so I''m hoping I''ve snuck in. I also don''t have a particular deadline (although before the baby is born will be good!!), so hopefully he can take this on as a development thingy, as he is also working on a new diamond band and a band to match the sunburst solitaire.

He''s emailed me back with more info but hasn''t committed to the project yet. I think if I could give him more information to work with, it''ll be easier for him to decide if he''s got time to take it on.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:01:36 PM
Author: jadeleaves
Thks Lynn & Gypsy!

I have been thinking about a solitaire lately, just because I've done the diamonds in both rings before, and Mark's platinum polish is so perfect and I am liking the idea of letting the center stone take centerstage on its own.

Also, I am used to thin bands, and if I go with diamonds in both rings, the total width will be over 6mm, maybe 7mm. I'm not sure if that's a little too wide, and also I'm afraid it will take away from the center stone.

Hmmm... yes, I see what you are saying.
Well then, with these things in mind, I think you would LOVE the plain plat solitaire look. It's a killer look any way you look at it (think of Demelza's rings
30.gif
) and with Mark's exquisite polish and finish, how can you go wrong?! Do you have your heart set on diamonds in at least one band? Because now I am thinking... what about plain plat, both bands, as thin as possible? That would let your big center stone really SHINE... and oh, it would be... totally YUM!
36.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:19:40 PM
Author: Lynn B
Do you have your heart set on diamonds in at least one band? Because now I am thinking... what about plain plat, both bands, as thin as possible? That would let your big center stone really SHINE... and oh, it would be... totally YUM!
36.gif

Yes I have my heart set on a diamond band along the lines of the following but in a half eternity style:

MWM%20HP%20Eternity.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
And oh, one more thing...
I really think more than just the heart-shaped prong tips, we should all be thinking more of the HEAD! It is the HEAD that will determine 4 or 6 prongs... which look do you want?

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my bad photoshop job on how 6 or 4 prongs will look on the band (I shrunk the band a little too):

SP32-20060615-102207.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:22:46 PM
Author: Lynn B
And oh, one more thing...

I really think more than just the heart-shaped prong tips, we should all be thinking more of the HEAD! It is the HEAD that will determine 4 or 6 prongs... which look do you want?

2.gif
I have been thinking about it after both Mara''s and your reset
31.gif

Basically I like the side view of Matatora''s lockes solitaire, so I''ve asked Mark if he could incorporate little surprise stones in the head.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah. Okay, that makes sense. Hmm...just ran over to his site to look at the 6 pronged solitares.

I can''t link the pics... but if you get six like the ones on the second picture on this page... instead of the third picture, I think I''d like that. Or four prongs... but I don''t like the way the 6 prongs look in the third picture.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/recent-work.html

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I was going to vote for the 6 heart prongs until I saw your photoshop of the four prongs. I vote 4 prongs with diamonds in the band, just like your photoshop. Love it!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Gypsy has added another dilemma to the mix
3.gif

A) Prongs set this way:

SP32-20060615-103032.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE that eternity band! I think having two of those on one hand might "take away" from the grand effect of just the one. So my vote is for a solitaire on a 2.5mm shank (4 heart prongs), with diamond band. Your big rock will be the star of the show, with the diamonds on that incredible band as supporting cast.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hah! Got it to work... okay. I like this 6 prong

Buttercup-Comp-1s.jpg

Better than this one in terms of prong positioning.

Leo-cp-a-sm.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
or
B) this way:

SP32-20060615-103045.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t do that! I had to go to the other page (the one with all the shots of the setting) to do that. Want me to take them out... they are big.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Heh we posted at the same time.

The first one looks nicer, but it is set very low and that would probably mean it won''t sit flush with the band...

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:37:02 PM
Author: Gypsy
I couldn''t do that! I had to go to the other page (the one with all the shots of the setting) to do that. Want me to take them out... they are big.

I just captured a screenshot.

Nah it''s ok, leave it, it gives a good idea of how the head looks like!

Also, I think this is the actual e-ring that the heart prongs eternity ring was made to match.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy posted my fave ring...buttercup's beauty...stunning. if i was getting a MM it would SO be that one. no modifications necessary.

6 prongs definitely on a 8.7mm stone. i am SO happy that i got 6 prongs on my biggie stone now...i would not trust myself with it and only 4 prongs. also the MM 6 prongs are so beautiful. AND i am so happy to say that the 6 prongs makes my diamond look bigger and that is a must for me. i think if i had a 4 prong setting it would make my diamond look not as big as it does now. optical illusions are fab for diamond whores like me!

also 2.5mm or less width. are you sure that circle that is the stone is supposed to be 8.7mm? i just looked at my rings on my finger and they are 2.8mm and 2.3mm and the stone is 8.6mm and my diamond far overlaps the w-ring but in your image the 2.5mm and 3mm one it really doesn't. i think the 'diamond' is off size wise.

one other comment. the MM polish is surely superb but you do know that if you just get a plain platinum solitaire it won't stay prettily polished for very long right? that is one of my pet peeves about solitaires, they look beat up fairly quickly. then you have to get it repolished. anyway just something to keep in mind...esp if that polish is something you really really love and want to see.

OH and my vote is for plain platinum solitaire with 6 prongs 2.5mm or less (2mm would be fab for a plain band) and then that BEAUTIFUL diamond wedding band you posted. YUMMO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree.. the buttercup setting is lovely-- I love the head on it (not sure if I would get the diamonds in the band) and I totally agree that it was made to match the band you want. That head has my vote... esp. with what Mara just said about safety.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:40:42 PM
Author: Mara
gypsy posted my fave ring...buttercup''s beauty...stunning. if i was getting a MM it would SO be that one. no modifications necessary.

6 prongs definitely on a 8.7mm stone. i am SO happy that i got 6 prongs on my biggie stone now...i would not trust myself with it and only 4 prongs. also the MM 6 prongs are so beautiful. AND i am so happy to say that the 6 prongs makes my diamond look bigger and that is a must for me. i think if i had a 4 prong setting it would make my diamond look not as big as it does now. optical illusions are fab for diamond whores like me!

also 2.5mm or less width. are you sure that circle that is the stone is supposed to be 8.7mm? i just looked at my rings on my finger and they are 2.8mm and 2.3mm and the stone is 8.6mm and my diamond far overlaps the w-ring but in your image the 2.5mm and 3mm one it really doesn''t. i think the ''diamond'' is off size wise.

one other comment. the MM polish is surely superb but you do know that if you just get a plain platinum solitaire it won''t stay prettily polished for very long right? that is one of my pet peeves about solitaires, they look beat up fairly quickly. then you have to get it repolished. anyway just something to keep in mind...esp if that polish is something you really really love and want to see.

OH and my vote is for plain platinum solitaire with 6 prongs 2.5mm or less (2mm would be fab for a plain band) and then that BEAUTIFUL diamond wedding band you posted. YUMMO.

Hubby actually put in a slight gap in between the bands which is not really noticeable in the drawing because although the diamonds in the band is 3mm, it will be a little bit wider in reality because of the metal.

My personal preference is 4 prongs, and I think it matches the look of the diamond band better. BUT, the security of the stone is also impt, which is why I am considering 6 prongs as well.

Re: Polish - That''s one of the biggest dilemma because I wouldn''t want to send my MWM ring elsewhere to be repolished, given how his polish is out of this world. It''s not that I don''t have confidence in other jewellers here, but I just haven''t seen that attention to detail Mark has in his rings!

^

Rough_Rock
Personally I think that the 6 prongs are fantastic, but it''s too busy if you''ve also got stones all along the band. With MWM I love the liquid look of his platinum, which is why I''d only go for either a solitaire, or at most little tapered accent channel set diamonds like the buttercup you posted. I prefer to let Mark''s platinum work "shine."
37.gif

So I''d say either solitaire w/ 6 prong or rocks all around w/ 4 prong. As for size, can you describe your finger? Size as well as description (some 7''s are long, others are stubby). I personally am concerned about my intended''s larger finger and MWM''s thin/delicate looking Sunburst making her finger look fat.

What a great dilemma for you to have.
36.gif

^

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
My normal ring size is M 1/2, but I am going to get this made in 7 1/2 because my fingers are swollen now from the pregnancy. Ok who am I kidding - my fingers are chubby looking even before the pregnancy
2.gif

Here are some handshots I found:

PM9.jpg

JadeThumbRing.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 8:40:42 PM
Author: Mara
gypsy posted my fave ring...buttercup''s beauty...stunning. if i was getting a MM it would SO be that one. no modifications necessary.

also 2.5mm or less width. are you sure that circle that is the stone is supposed to be 8.7mm? i just looked at my rings on my finger and they are 2.8mm and 2.3mm and the stone is 8.6mm and my diamond far overlaps the w-ring but in your image the 2.5mm and 3mm one it really doesn''t. i think the ''diamond'' is off size wise.

one other comment. the MM polish is surely superb but you do know that if you just get a plain platinum solitaire it won''t stay prettily polished for very long right? that is one of my pet peeves about solitaires, they look beat up fairly quickly. then you have to get it repolished. anyway just something to keep in mind...esp if that polish is something you really really love and want to see.

Hmmm... as usual, Miss Mara makes some good points. I do totally agree that 6 prongs does make a stone look bigger. WHY OH WHY then do I still seem to prefer four?! It defies all reason!
9.gif

I have never had a solitaire, so I never thought about it getting narfed up fairly quickly, but it makes sense. Well, that''s a bummer!

Well, JL, you''ll just have to keep us posted on what you decide! There''s really no bad choices here, you know!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I have hopes that this next stone will be my 'forever' stone and wedding set, so I want to get it right! It will be the asscher next!

BUT, if I go with a plain solitaire setting, it won't hurt the pocket as much IF we upgrade the stone again and have to get a new ring made (because Mark told me "Setting a larger diamond into a crown that had been set and finished with a smaller stone won't be an option. Changing the center crown won't be an easy task.").

I am terrible, aren't I? Speaking about 'forever' stone and then in the same breath making allowances for future upgrades!
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results