shape
carat
color
clarity

New observations from longtime reseller, conversations welcomed...

toymantodd

Rough_Rock
Have a look at JammingGems.com they sell pre notched semi mounts for rings / earrings etc plus tools.
Settings in sterling silver are quite cheap.
The main issue with setting gems in semi mounts is their size. You’ll find that you need “standard” measure gems to use pre made settings. Rounds are easiest, there is some tolerance for a 6.2 mm gem going in a 6mm round setting or a 7.95mm going in an 8mm round setting,
Likewise oval shapes are a bit more forgiving, harder are the emerald/ rectangular shapes. More unusual shapes like trillion or Marquis there will be much less choice.
Pre notched settings have the “seat” for the gem girdle already done, you just have to “bend” the prong over (you need a tool for doing this). Otherwise the semi ring mount prongs need filing to create a seat, this is much harder and requires more tools and more experience. You’ll wreck plenty of settings learning!
Otherwise you get a jeweller, with whom you have a good relationship to get good prices, to set your gems. Setting a gem can cost between $50 and $400 dollars.

Thank you, I have looked into this side of things (with and without pre-notched). I have a strong feeling that with my already attained hobby skills I would be able to set stones with some practice, hopefully that doesn't make me sound like an a hole, I just think my skill sets probably match up well. Not sure it's what I want to do, but it is interesting and could be a natural way to move stones.....thanks for sharing the info.

toymantodd

Rough_Rock
Got it -- meant no offense. Or maybe I sort of did but you have now explained your intentions more clearly.

I do not think gems are like any of these other things. It is hard to fake coins, stamps, antiques, tools. Not hard hard -- but one needs to be really intentional about faking a patina and knowing exactly what the original looked like and it is often not cost-effective to make a good fake. For gems and jewelry, you can make passable fakes for pennies all day long...

Even the super-savvy sellers struggle to successfully carry off the kind of arbitrage you are proposing. And if you have not established yourself as a knowledgeable purveyor of gems with expertise and reports, etc., you will not inspire any greater confidence among potential buyers than the low-end vendors you are trawling (trawling, not trolling).

No problem, no offense taken, I can see when somebody brand new shows up going all over the place it could be a caution flag :) I just wanted to explain myself.

A lot of jewellery is sold on the cheap that potentially has some nice stones in the venues I currently frequent. Some sellers have loose stones without having any clue, even less than me, about what they are.

You are correct that I am not thinking about the higher end $400 a ct and up stuff. I would be looking at the $50-$75 investment turned into $150 sell. Obviously I want to get educated for the rare times the higher end opportunites show up.

Thank you for the chat, hopefully we can again.

For gems and jewelry, you can make passable fakes for pennies all day long... Even the super-savvy sellers struggle to successfully carry off the kind of arbitrage you are proposing.

I don't know if you recall, but several years back, a veteran member purchased her dream padparadscha from a beloved and long-time PS vendor. I don't remember the PSer's name, but I remember the vendor. And I remember the stone... it was a stunning cushion and priced accordingly. I won't put the vendor on blast, but this person is as experienced and educated as they come. The pad ended up being synthetic, and the best I've ever seen. Back then, the only synthetic pads we saw were those gaudy, overly-saturated orange stones. This was delicate and nuanced and the perfect pink/orange split. Of course, the vendor was unaware of it being synthetic, and there was no doubt an honest error had been made (he posted about it here, along with the buyer, as it being a learning experience). And the fact is, this industry is like computer science... you have to start early, devote lots of time and money to it, and continuously refine your skills. Anyway, it was a real eye opener for me. This emoticon may or may not apply to this discussion, but I have been dying to use it, so here you go.
bicycle.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No problem, no offense taken, I can see when somebody brand new shows up going all over the place it could be a caution flag :) I just wanted to explain myself.

A lot of jewellery is sold on the cheap that potentially has some nice stones in the venues I currently frequent. Some sellers have loose stones without having any clue, even less than me, about what they are.

You are correct that I am not thinking about the higher end $400 a ct and up stuff. I would be looking at the $50-$75 investment turned into $150 sell. Obviously I want to get educated for the rare times the higher end opportunites show up.

Thank you for the chat, hopefully we can again.

Where or how do you plan on selling the stones? Ebay?

toymantodd

Rough_Rock
Truthfully still trying to figure the whole thing out at this point Gene. I built up a list of clients on the toys/hobbies starting with eBay, my own website, word of mouth and outdoor sales events in southern California (flea markets, estate sales, special events, etc). It would be nice to replicate that or add to it.

eBay scares me a little bit as a seller to tell you the truth because of the decline over the years to allow the scam artists the ability to screw sellers over. A dedicated gemstone based website might be better but that's down the road a long way. I looked at the gemstone/rock/mineral shows that are local and the costs were hard to believe. After walking one of the shows I can't imagine anybody there (as a seller) is actually selling enough to turn even the slightest profit. They must view it as just a cost of doing business.

As somebody else stated here on this thread somewhere, it's one thing to buy some gemstones at the right price, it's another to sell them.....

That would seem to be the trick.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if you recall, but several years back, a veteran member purchased her dream padparadscha from a beloved and long-time PS vendor. I don't remember the PSer's name, but I remember the vendor. And I remember the stone... it was a stunning cushion and priced accordingly. I won't put the vendor on blast, but this person is as experienced and educated as they come. The pad ended up being synthetic, and the best I've ever seen. Back then, the only synthetic pads we saw were those gaudy, overly-saturated orange stones. This was delicate and nuanced and the perfect pink/orange split. Of course, the vendor was unaware of it being synthetic, and there was no doubt an honest error had been made (he posted about it here, along with the buyer, as it being a learning experience). And the fact is, this industry is like computer science... you have to start early, devote lots of time and money to it, and continuously refine your skills. Anyway, it was a real eye opener for me. This emoticon may or may not apply to this discussion, but I have been dying to use it, so here you go.
bicycle.gif

You’ve been on this forum too long - that post was from 2009 can you believe!!!

toymantodd

Rough_Rock
Lol....my Mom used to always say how fast life goes once you turn 40. I used to always ponder that statement when I was younger, thinking it was not accurate...now at 57 I realize nothing more truthful has ever been said :)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd recommend trying to start trade relationships with cutters and buy parcels of gems from them, it's the most direct place you can buy finished gems at the best rate. The Australian Opal vendor community is probably not a bad place to start if you want to dip your feet in a bit.

As far as loose gems vs set in jewelry, probably not an answer I can really give as loose Opal gems is primarily what we sell. We've gotten some jewelry made with our loose gems in order to list and sell, however that was probably at a ratio of something like 100 loose gems for every jewelry item.

toymantodd

Rough_Rock
I'd recommend trying to start trade relationships with cutters and buy parcels of gems from them, it's the most direct place you can buy finished gems at the best rate. The Australian Opal vendor community is probably not a bad place to start if you want to dip your feet in a bit.

As far as loose gems vs set in jewelry, probably not an answer I can really give as loose Opal gems is primarily what we sell. We've gotten some jewelry made with our loose gems in order to list and sell, however that was probably at a ratio of something like 100 loose gems for every jewelry item.

Thank you for the info :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results