shape
carat
color
clarity

New Member Saying Hello & Question About Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magicmirror

Rough_Rock
Hi Team,

I''ve lurked around here for several months on and off, but things have just gotten real so I''m jumping into the mix. Looks like a smart group of folks roaming around this message board, so I''m looking forward to chatting with you all.

Well, I''ve found what I believe to be a good stone, and possible the right stone. Under the ''Additional Grading Information'' piece it says under ''Comments'' "Pinpoints are not shown." What does that mean?

Specs are:

Round Brilliant
9.25 - 9.32 x 5.54 mm
3.00 carat
G
SI2
Cut grade: GOOD

Polish VG
Symmetry VG
Fluorescence None

59% table
59.7% depth
31.5 degree crown angle
40.4 degree pavillion angle

I''m pretty experienced with diamonds (although never purchased myself, just a family thing and I''ve shopped a long time) and this is a really solid looking SI2 - no carbon, only a cloud on one edge. It''s very clean and the color is great. I had originally wanted to go for something like a 2.4 ideal cut, but then this one jumped into the mix. She really wanted a 3 ct, and this one seems nice for the price.

Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Magicmirror, welcome to the forum.

There were quite a few previous discussions about pinpoints. E.g. Pin Points Not Shown

E.g. Richard Sherwood wrote about pinpoints in VS1 stone:

"This means that the pinpoints were so minor they weren't considered in setting the grade. Instead of taking the time and trouble to plot them they just listed them under comments. It is common practice, and indicates that the inclusions are nothing to worry about. Pinpoints which are not listed on a VS1 GIA cert stone are microscopic".
Or DiamondExpert wrote:

"Pinpoints (usually microscopic crystals), which are referred to on the cert, ARE 10x visible, but just not plotted, because of lack of importance (in this case) and unnecessarily complicating the plot, the grade-making inclusions being most importantly shown."
The stone is a bit shallow however...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 9:58:05 PM
Author:magicmirror
Hi Team,

I''ve lurked around here for several months on and off, but things have just gotten real so I''m jumping into the mix. Looks like a smart group of folks roaming around this message board, so I''m looking forward to chatting with you all.

Well, I''ve found what I believe to be a good stone, and possible the right stone. Under the ''Additional Grading Information'' piece it says under ''Comments'' ''Pinpoints are not shown.'' What does that mean?

Specs are:

Round Brilliant
9.25 - 9.32 x 5.54 mm
3.00 carat
G
SI2
Cut grade: GOOD

Polish VG
Symmetry VG
Fluorescence None

59% table
59.7% depth
31.5 degree crown angle
40.4 degree pavillion angle

I''m pretty experienced with diamonds (although never purchased myself, just a family thing and I''ve shopped a long time) and this is a really solid looking SI2 - no carbon, only a cloud on one edge. It''s very clean and the color is great. I had originally wanted to go for something like a 2.4 ideal cut, but then this one jumped into the mix. She really wanted a 3 ct, and this one seems nice for the price.

Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback.
honestly my thoughts are - big table, shallow depth, very shallow crown and deep pavillion. I''d pass. When it comes to rounds, I''d rather have a 2.4 carat that REALLY knocked my socks off than a 3 carat that just kinda was there.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The table is too big for my liking and I am not loving the crown angle either.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

The cut could be improved on, I would watch that shallow crown angle especially if the girdle has any very thin parts to it, in case of any possible durability issues, but if you like this diamond and the price is right - obviously the size is right
30.gif
- then it might be a good pick for you, there are slim pickings in that size. Your own eyes are the best judge of beauty and if your GF says this is a diamond she would be proud to wear, then that is the most important thing.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the girdle and chipping will not be a problem - it will be recorded on the little image on the lower left.

The stone shows a lot of darkness under the table with the ideal-scope and the scores (1.00 is a top standard) show the story.

HCA says it is not ideal - and i like shallower stones than most but would not favour this one unless it ewas never to be used in a ring.
It would be hard to sell.

too shallow.JPG

magicmirror

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies so far. Very helpful info; please keep your opinions coming.

BTW, the price on the 3ct is $29,600. Not sure if that changes anybody''s opinion....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Are you considering only RB''s?

cheers--Sharon

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2006 10:44:14 AM
Author: belle
i would consider spending 6k more (with ps discount) and getting this http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-71343.htm or dropping in size just a bit if you want to stay under 30k.
i would rather spend a little more for the very best than just spend A LOT on something mediocre.
I absolutely agree with Belle 110%. I''d buy the diamond above in a flash compared to the one you''ve listed, or, go down in size (which would be my preference).

magicmirror

Rough_Rock
Yes, only RB's for the moment. I do like the diamond you just posted quite a bit. I'm assuming the color difference would be made up for by the better cut?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 10:56:53 AM
Author: magicmirror
Yes, only RB''s for the moment. I do like the diamond you just posted quite a bit. I''m assuming the color difference would be made up for by the better cut?
i''m not sure what you mean by the color being ''made up''. an ''i'' is not going to be the same as a ''g'' (unless it''s egl graded!
37.gif
) but having a great cut is going to make a huge impact visually. that coupled with the fact that she said she wanted a 3ct might ''make up'' for the difference in color itself. i would personally waaaaay prefer a well cut ''i'' over a mediocre ''g'' no question.

magicmirror

Rough_Rock
When I said "made up for" I simply meant that the overall appearance of the better cut stone would be better than the first stone I listed despite giving a bit in the criteria of color. I tend to think cut is the most important of the 4cs as it has the most effect on how pleasing the stone is to the eye.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2006 9:43:09 AM
Author: magicmirror
When I said ''made up for'' I simply meant that the overall appearance of the better cut stone would be better than the first stone I listed despite giving a bit in the criteria of color. I tend to think cut is the most important of the 4cs as it has the most effect on how pleasing the stone is to the eye.
YES!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ooops, mistaken post -- sorry!!!

magicmirror

Rough_Rock
On Garry H's post above, the HCA rates the stone Very Good in 2/3 categories as far as light return. With that in mind, what would the ideal cut be gaining in appearance over this stone? When a stone receives an Excellent rating, is it a night and day difference?

I realize this is difficult and the best comparision would be side by side. Since that is not possible, I'm trying to understand what I'm balancing between here. Thanks.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it will be very different.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results