shape
carat
color
clarity

New member Need help for Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nokdiamond1

Rough_Rock
I is looking for an engagement ring;round, solitaire within budget $3,000-3,200(exclude setting). I hv no knowledge in Diamond before, so I educated myself from this site but still not sure if I come up with a best value of my price or not?.
So, I need help and recommendation in order to buy the right ring at the right price and store as much as I can. Here my question:

1.I use concept "Biggest, Brightest, Whitest,eye clean diamond w/some fluoro" within my $3,200 budget,
so I come up with: -Cut : Ideal Cut
-Color: F
-Clarity: SI1
-Carat : 0.75 - 0.95ct (Prefer around 0.90ct up if possible)
-Certification: GIA, AGSL
-Proposition :Depth 58.5% - 62.8%
Table 53% - 58%
-Girdle : Medium - Slightly Thick
-Polish/Sym : VG/VG ,EX/EX
-Culet : Very small-None
-Fluorescence : None,Faint (Prefer None)

However, I rarely find the size 0.90ct up with this criteria, so my question are ,
-Is this a good buy criteria?
-which one should I sacrifice in order to get up to .90ct?
-any substantially different among (F, SI1), (G, SI1) and (G,VS2)?
-between Girdle (thin-med) and (med-slightly thick),which one better?
-Polish/Sym at VG/VG is enoutg? or should go to Ex/Ex?

2. I want to buy from online jeweler b/c had been fooled by Jared(.47ct,Good Cut,G,SI2,GSI certified@$1700), but no idea which one most reputable,trustable...and great price w/ great value? I heard about Bluenile and Union Diamond, are they still sell at competitive price? Please recommend me some more.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Nikki

20.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 7:56:43 PM
Author:nokdiamond1
I is looking for an engagement ring;round, solitaire within budget $3,000-3,200(exclude setting). I hv no knowledge in Diamond before, so I educated myself from this site but still not sure if I come up with a best value of my price or not?.
So, I need help and recommendation in order to buy the right ring at the right price and store as much as I can. Here my question:

1.I use concept ''Biggest, Brightest, Whitest,eye clean diamond w/some fluoro'' within my $3,200 budget,
so I come up with: -Cut : Ideal Cut
-Color: F
-Clarity: SI1
-Carat : 0.75 - 0.95ct (Prefer around 0.90ct up if possible)
-Certification: GIA, AGSL
-Proposition :Depth 58.5% - 62.8%
Table 53% - 58%
-Girdle : Medium - Slightly Thick
-Polish/Sym : VG/VG ,EX/EX
-Culet : Very small-None
-Fluorescence : None,Faint (Prefer None)

However, I rarely find the size 0.90ct up with this criteria, so my question are ,
-which one should I sacrifice in order to get up to .90ct?
-any substantially different among (F, SI1), (G, SI1) and (G,VS2)?
-between Girdle (thin-med) and (med-slightly thick),which one better?
-Polish/Sym at VG/VG is enoutg? or should go to Ex/Ex?

2. I want to buy from online jeweler b/c had been fooled by Jared(.47ct,Good Cut,G,SI2,GSI certified@$1700), but no idea which one most reputable,trustable...and great price w/ great value? I heard about Bluenile and Union Diamond, are they still sell at competitive price? Please recommend me some more.

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Nikki

20.gif
A nice eyeclean G SI2 should gain you some size. If it''s eyeclean you won''t know the difference between SI2 and VVS2, and a 1ct G will look very, very white. In fact, I''d suggest looking at Hs too - going to a local jeweller with GIA/AGS stones and taking a good look at the different tints in these ranges is your best bet. Make sure to check them out in different lighting!

A thin-med or med-slt girdle is great, it''s v-thin or thick that can be problematic.

There are a whole bunch of PS vendors listed under "vendors" at the top of the page, their websites and the PS price comparison engine should get you off to a good start. I would recommend them over BN as BN will not provide performance images.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
If you want that .90 and above your asking for then I would go as low as I color...As far as clarity I would say aim for eyeclean be that si1or 2 or VS1-2, just be in budget but never compromise on CUT!

For your depth, I would go from 59.8-62.4 max, you have the right idea about table, girdle you want to avoid extremes, polish/sym aim for ex/ideal but vg for polish is okay too... but you also want to include Crown angle and Pavillion angles in your search, Crown: i would say aim for 33-35 (safe is 33.5-34.9) Pavillion: 40.6-41(safe is 40.6-40.9) but you dont want to have a 35/41 combo. For judgement of cut use the HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp and the idealscope which PS vendors will provide images for you and ASET but for rounds Idealscope will work just fine. Anywho, thats a ton of info, hope it helps in your search. Also, great tip, this info can be overwhelming so to make it easier on you stick to PS vendors bc they really make it easy and do all the hard work for you and have great prices aswell :)

Here is a comparison at Jamesallen, hope this link works... http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/diamond-comparison.asp?p=1274192,1204037,1218702,1248407,1269400,1274122,1274552

Another thing, use this tool to search for other diamonds from other vendors https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

and another vendor that has much success stories is Brian gavin diamonds... http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ his site is not up yet...

Goodluch and sorry soo long :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi nokdiamond

Concerning the numbers you suggest, try this chart, 62.8% is usually too deep unless in the case of some types of diamonds known as fiery ideal cuts.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

From expert John Pollard.

As the above implies, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near Tolkowsky/ideal angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

As to your questions, see below.

Date: 12/28/2009 7:56:43 PM
Author:nokdiamond1

-which one should I sacrifice in order to get up to .90ct? You can consider G or H colours definitely and SI clarities if eyeclean and the cut is great.
-any substantially different among (F, SI1), (G, SI1) and (G,VS2)? Depends if the SI clarities are eyeclean and many are, just be careful with SI grades which have clouds marked as grade setters as these can sometimes impact performance.
-between Girdle (thin-med) and (med-slightly thick),which one better? Neither, both are right in the sweet spot for girdles.
-Polish/Sym at VG/VG is enoutg? or should go to Ex/Ex? Yes, VG VG can be fine, more important are the overall proportions of the stone and how effectively they work together, but top cut stones normally have ex ex or ideal as a natural result of superior cutting, attention to detail and finish.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
^and that my dears is why Lorelei rocks at rocks!

catibati

Rough_Rock
Trade
My friend has a H SI2 round cut, and I loved it so much, that I got the same. I used to have an E BUT more people comment on my H, because it is a great cut. I have had a diamond lab look at it and they told me that it a G/H but as GIA are so strict, they gave it a H??? I have also seen an I which looks amazing, just depends. Sometimes in direct sunlight, I think I can see an inclusion, but everyone says that I am just being paranoid.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2009 5:43:01 PM
Author: Mrs W
^and that my dears is why Lorelei rocks at rocks!
awwww....shucks......
12.gif

Thanks B!!!

nokdiamond1

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much every one for your reply,really appreciate it and sorry for my late reply.

I ''v been looking to Whiteflash and Goodoldgold as highly recommend here.

I found out that GOG has lot of photo,while WF has only one view of Diamond photo(no tested from ASEM,...etc)

My question are:

-Which one better? it seem GOG provide lot more info than WF, but most member here seem like WF more. Kind of confuse.

Thanks again for your help:)

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock

nokdiamond1

Rough_Rock
It seems WF has a lot of choice than GOG,but its return policy is only 10 days. How could we return that fast if any,b/c we have to get appraise too?

By the way, I hvn''t looked at others yet. What is BDG stand for? I look at vendors list but don''t find it yet.

In addition,I went to Costco store today and took a look its diamond ring(solitaire),its spec is .90ct, I ,VS2,GIA (I can''t see other detail yet)and it looks very beautiful.
Do you think this could be a good standard?
Does Anyone has any experience about Costco''s jewelry??

thanks a lot as always

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2009 3:39:09 AM
Author: nokdiamond1
It seems WF has a lot of choice than GOG,but its return policy is only 10 days. How could we return that fast if any,b/c we have to get appraise too?

By the way, I hvn''t looked at others yet. What is BDG stand for? I look at vendors list but don''t find it yet.

In addition,I went to Costco store today and took a look its diamond ring(solitaire),its spec is .90ct, I ,VS2,GIA (I can''t see other detail yet)and it looks very beautiful.
Do you think this could be a good standard?
Does Anyone has any experience about Costco''s jewelry??

thanks a lot as always
Whiteflash actually does have a 30 day return policy, you can contact them to confirm.

BGD means Brian Gavin Diamonds - www.briangavindiamonds.com they are also a top notch vendor.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, and have fun building the perfect ring for you and your girlfriend:)

Try these...

AGS-1040381680054 Brian Gavin H&A 0.822 H VS2 56.3 61.7 6.00 6.02 3.71 $3,160.00
AGS-1040375560005 Brian Gavin H&A 0.817 H VS1 55.6 61.1 6.03 6.06 3.69 $3,365.00
AGS-1040375560011 Brian Gavin H&A 0.801 I VS1 56.4 61.1 5.98 6.00 3.66 $2,997.00
AGS-1040375560012 Brian Gavin H&A 0.800 I VS2 56.0 61.1 5.97 6.04 3.66 $2,754.00

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results