shape
carat
color
clarity

New member looking for diamonds for earrings

spitz10

Rough_Rock
Hi all, been recommended here from a couple friends of mine who said this site was awesome and could answer my question/s. So basically, I am just looking to get my wife a pair of diamond stud earrings for our anniversary. I'd like to spend about $1k, but I'd spend up to $2k if I really had to. I generally know about the metrics involved in evaluating diamonds, but I just don't know at all how this pertains to earrings (typical size/quality). My general thought is that the diamonds don't need to be as good when they are in the ear (rather than something like an engagement ring), and I would also imagine you buy them in pairs rather than individually, but I don't know how that affects the shopping process.

I apologize for my general cluelessness, but I would appreciate any help steering me in the right direction. Thanks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what color/size range you are wanting to get?

Looks like you are in the .33ish each/J color for $1300ish. Does that sound about wha you are looking for?

spitz10

Rough_Rock
To be perfectly honest, I really didn't/don't know what size/color I wanted. My friend who was on here alot before when he bought his engagement ring said he would imagine that it would be worth it to make some color/clarity compromises inorder to go a little bit bigger since they are earrings and the overall quality wouldn't be quite as critical.

Is .33 a good size for earrings? My intent is that these will be basic studs that she can wear every day, so not too small, but don't need to be big/flashy at all either. $1300 is reasonable enough for me.

How does the process work for buying earrings? Do they sell them in pairs specifically for earrings?

spitz10

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I will check out that link. I'm guessing that is how it typically works - where they are sold in pairs?

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
I bought my earrings from James Allen and matched them in pairs myself and picked out the setting but you can get them pre-matched from Whiteflash or Brian Gavin. I found that the if Whiteflash or Brian Gavin do not have the pre-match size/color you want they are more than willing to work with your budget to find out what will make you happy. I went with 0.40 for each stone and do think they are everyday earrings. I would think you would be happy with 0.65 to 0.80 tcw range. Once you jump up to the 1.00 total ctw or 0.50 for each the prices jump up significantly.

As far as cut. Some say you do not have to go Excellent-Ideal in cut for earrings but I say you do :) Sparkle Sparkle

spitz10

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking .75ctw sounds about the sweet spot for me considering my price point. Ideally, I would probably not get super high quality rocks just because neither my wife nor myself are particularly picky with diamonds - I simply want to get her something nice that she can wear for a long time - I don't think having the most sparkly diamonds is that big of a deal.

spitz10

Rough_Rock
Ok, of course I wait until the last minute to do this, but I have a couple more questions.

So my dad forgets my sister's birthday, feels really bad about it, and goes and buys her a pair of diamond earrings from a local jeweler. They are 1 tcw, and I don't know all the stats, but my dad claims it is a solid diamond, and I know its an SI. The reason I bring this up is because he got them for $1600, which compared to white flash ($2275 for 1 tcw) is much cheaper. This then got me thinking....

I then looked at probably the biggest local jeweler (http://www.jewelryexchange.com) and started searching around a bit, and saw something like this: http://www.jewelryexchange.com/productdetails.aspx?jewelryID=1495

I noticed that many of the diamonds on the site aren't certified....is that a complete no-no?

Basically, I just want reassurance that I am going the right route with the online retailer, and that I am not paying more than I need to for an unnecessarily good diamonds for earrings.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
spitz10|1311808099|2978358 said:
So my dad forgets my sister's birthday, feels really bad about it, and goes and buys her a pair of diamond earrings from a local jeweler. They are 1 tcw, and I don't know all the stats, but my dad claims it is a solid diamond, and I know its an SI. The reason I bring this up is because he got them for $1600, which compared to white flash ($2275 for 1 tcw) is much cheaper.

When did he buy them? Prices have gone considerably recently. Also, what was the certification?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results