shape
carat
color
clarity

New Malaya Garnet from Gene - Mounting Help Neede!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
This is a Malaya garnet from Gene, 7.4mm round. I haven't had time to take pictures this weekend. Inspired by Mochi's new peach tourmaline ring, I want to set this in a similar setting. Please help me to decide:

Option 1 = Mochi's ring

Option 2

You will see that the two options are very alike, only option 2 has two sidestones less, and the sidestones has milli on the sidestones. I like the crown like prongs on option 2.

The other question will be: rose gold or white gold? This stone has the typical color shift of a Malaya, from pink to peachy color. I am not a crazy fan of rose gold, but will take anything that makes the stone stand out.

Thanks for all suggestion!

Garnet_Malaya.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with rose gold, like Mochi''s because I believe that white gold will bring out the "flesh" tone and make it look not as attractive.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love Mochi''s ring but that other one is pretty cool too. If I had to choose I''d go with option 1.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah and rose gold!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to see more pictures of it. The vendor pic looks almost lavender instead of a peachy pink to me. I think what color gold will depend more on what color it is in real life.

Having said that, I think the color in the vendor pic is really cool.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like #2 in white gold

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some new pictures taken this evening. Lighter ones are under flash, yellow background with flash off. It is very hard to capture the color at evening. This thing keeps shifting color. I don't know where the blue flash is from, there is no blue at all.

Loose Gem Home Pictures21.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it looks plum in color, I would not set it in white gold. You say lavender, but it looks/appears to be plum in the photos to me. I think 18K rose gold would be better than 14K rose gold. I would want a more subdued rose gold on this one.

I think the LOGR 14K rose gold is too "coppery" for this stone. You want to bring out it's delicate pink hues I would think.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hard to tell from pics (I sympathize - some are just hard to photograph!) but if you''re not seeing any blue, and it''s more peachy/pink, I would do rose gold.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I am pulling hair - oh, how can I ever get that color in the picture!

Funny enough, it looks very similar to this Malaya, sold on ACS today. (thanks to whoever bought it to allow me to borrow the picture) That''s the ''evening'' color with lots of red flashes. During day time, it turns a lighter pink (as in the vendor picture), and sometimes appears to be peachy but never a plum color.

Now hopefully this describe the color more accurately, please help me to decide the style, and metal?

33.gif

ga-1935g_127_general.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Yingh... so you''re the one that bought it from Gene!
36.gif
I''ve been drooling over it for a while. I''m so happy that it''s a PS''er. It''s so pretty. I don''t know about the setting though. If the color is more a cooler color maybe white gold but if it''s a warm color, yellow or rose gold??

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
EDIT: wrong thread

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ok let''s try that again
1.gif

if it''s close that that ACS malaya, I''d lean towards white gold - I think that shade of pink doesn''t really go the best with rose gold and white gold sets it off better and more dramatically.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 10:49:53 PM
Author: mochi
If the color is more a cooler color maybe white gold but if it''s a warm color, yellow or rose gold??
Ditto this. It seems like a colored gold would be a good option for this stone. Its so beautiful! I look forward to the final result.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 10:42:34 PM
Author: yingh
I am pulling hair - oh, how can I ever get that color in the picture!

Funny enough, it looks very similar to this Malaya, sold on ACS today. (thanks to whoever bought it to allow me to borrow the picture) That's the 'evening' color with lots of red flashes. During day time, it turns a lighter pink (as in the vendor picture), and sometimes appears to be peachy but never a plum color.

Now hopefully this describe the color more accurately, please help me to decide the style, and metal?

33.gif
I would still go with rose gold, 18K. The thing I have noticed with with pink/orange/peachy stones is this, when you set them in white gold, the white tends to bring out any slight tinge of brown hiding in there. People can disagree with me if they like. If it were more of a true pink/red, I would definitely do white gold. Do you have any pictures you can post of it next to rose and white gold?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
White gold then it will be. Which style better?

Mochi, it is indeed a very pretty stone - like a pink diamond. It has plenty of red flashes and also dispersions. Can''t wait to see it on my finger.
26.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna say the second setting of the two you posted - I like the head on it and it''ll go well with the stone
1.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I like both settings
37.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I vote mochi style
9.gif

Reasons:
- better proportions (the other one has too large of a basket for that design)
- decorated bezels on diamonds would possibly distract from the center stone
- it has a rounded shank (as opposed to the other one which has a flat shank - which clashes with the round stones).

Hope this helps.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for helping! I ordered ''Mochi''s ring'' (that should be the style name )
21.gif
in white gold, upgraded diamonds. Let''s see how it will turn out. I will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results