shape
carat
color
clarity

New & looking in San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nette

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I would like to buy diamond stud earrings with a total weight of 1ct. I''m trying to study the 4 c''s right now. I''d like to know a good place in San Diego to buy these at a good/reasonable price...or is that too much to as for?
1.gif
Thanks in advance.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
My advice would be to avoid the mall stores and the high end "name" stores, and go with a "second story" broker type of operation. Someone with credentials and experience who is user friendly, and explains everything there is to know about the stone.

Make it clear that you're not interested in paying high retail prices, and can they take care of you.

Of course, there's always the internet. There's several first class dealers who live in this forum, and the prices are amazing.

nette

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice Rich!

I was wondering if you can TRY to deal down the price of a diamond like a car? Or is that not done with diamonds?

No one knows of any good places here in San Diego?

wavey.gif

mattinSD

Rough_Rock
Nette:

I am currenty in the process of buying an engagement ring from Diamond Connection (619 296 8900) - they have a small shop in Old Town. I would recommend that you take the time to educate yourself by reviewing sites such as Gold Old Gold before going there though....

Diamond Connection has a good selection and are open to some negotiation (especially if you demonstrate that you've done some homework on pricing). Check the internet pricing here on pricescope, along with others (niceice, diamond brokers of florida, etc) to get an idea of what you "should" be paying, and use that as a basis. As with most brick and mortar stores, don't let THEM tell you want - be adamant they show you what YOU want. Let them show you a bunch of different diamonds (D to J colors, VVS to included) but, as with dealing with any salesperson, don't let them talk you into anything without taking some time to think the purchase over. I must have visited the store 6 different times before finally deciding.

They also have the machines to analyze all the angles / facets and provide you written copy and they are GIA trained gemologists.

Good luck and have fun with the shopping experience.

PS: Although I chose to deal with an actual B&M store, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with one of the reputable dealers found within this forum if pricing and quality wasn't in line at Diamond Connection... Finally, remember that if you buy online, you'll avoid that nasty California State tax!

Nettie

Rough_Rock
I couldn't resist replying since there is another Nette looking for earrings when I just got my .80 studs finished yesterday.
I just really wanted to plug looking into buying on the internet. I bought loose stones and then had my jeweler set them. You really can get some nice diamonds that way. Plus if you are looking at saving some money, consider the fact that you don't pay sales tax over the net and that some of these companies throw in free shipping. The jeweler that set my diamonds brought out some of his own to compare and it wasn't me that was jealous- ha ha. He said that I had gotten a very good deal on them. Actually, they were so bright that at first he asked me if they were CZ's and then got more and more impressed as he louped and scoped them.
Either way, have fun with your search and come back to Pricescope for opinions on what you find- they are an enormous help.
Nettie
loopy.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Try Brenda at "The Jewelry Source" in El Segundo. Here is her pnone number (310)322-7110.

shurikt

Rough_Rock
Silly east coasters.

San Diego to El Segundo distance is about the same as Hartford to NYC.
1.gif

And there's no train, either.

nette

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the help!

My friend has pretty much convinced me on getting 2ct total weight studs. It's a good thing I'm in no hurry to get the earrings. I think she is trying to tell me I have earlobes or something.
loopy.gif

**And now that I am back to my senses...2ct? That's trouble! Maybe I should to 1ct. total weight! Indecision is bad!!!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Try Diamond Boutique in San Diego - 858-578-9696 Monday to Saturday 10 am to 6 pm.

The manager's name is Ali Digius and he has posted here.

1.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is El Segundo near LA? I'm confused
twirl.gif

liz

Rough_Rock
El Segundo pretty much IS LA (as are a lot of neighborhoods in this sprawling metropolis). In fact, it's right next door to the LA airport.

I too checked out The Diamond Source on my quest for the perfect stone and found the prices semi-reasonable for a B&M store (they don't negotiate and will tell you that up front), but nothing like the prices you'll find online. However, the quality did seem higher than your typical local jeweler or mall store.

liz

Rough_Rock
Oops--Steve, I just checked your post, and it looks like we're talking about two different retailers. (The Diamond Source is also in LA.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results