shape
carat
color
clarity

New LOGR Setting! Question on Bezel Setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m really happy with my latest setting from LOGR. I upgraded to VS (because I won the setting at a very reasonable price) and added the millgraining and had it resized. It''s very sparkly and although I''m not sure what to set in it, I''ve been playing tonight just to see what colours look best! Considering the number of rings I own, I can''t believe that this is the first bezel set one!!!!

My question is: in order for a gemstone to "fit" the bezel setting, should I be able to drop it inside and then the jeweller "folds" the edges of the bezel over OR should the gem not drop inside but look a bit big and the jeweller has to bend out the bezel and then in again over the gemstone - does that make sense?????

Here''s the setting (took photos very quickly so please excuse the terrible quality).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Profile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you favour any of these colours?

By the way, this setting masks windows
36.gif
because both the tri colour sapphire and the last purple sapphire have very big windows but once the gem was dropped in the setting they all but disappeared! Yeah!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Nice collage! I believe the stone should drop into the setting so that the girdle is below the bezel so that the bezel can be extended over the crown of the stone.

What a fun problem to have! I like the purple sapph myself.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 4:30:00 PM
Author: mercoledi
Nice collage! I believe the stone should drop into the setting so that the girdle is below the bezel so that the bezel can be extended over the crown of the stone.

What a fun problem to have! I like the purple sapph myself.
Thank you Mercoledi. That''s what I figured but I wasn''t 100% sure. That means that the Malaya Garnet, the Tri-colour Sapphire and possibly the Purple Sapphire in the second row will all fit (although that is a very rounded cushion so I''m not entirely sure).

Thanks for the advice.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think optimally, the stone needs to drop in the setting. It''s sometimes possible to alter the dimensions of the bezel by using something like a setting burr (kind of like a router) around the inside, thus thinning the bezel and enlarging the setting. But this is only possible if the bezel wall is thick enough, and we''re talking fractions of a millimeter, of course. You can put a slightly smaller stone in a bezel by adding to the bezel frame, but you''ll end up with a thicker bezel. I think tourmaline lover had this done on one of her LOGRs (this is just off the top of my head - sorry if I''m wrong).

Another option is to have your jeweler shave down the bezel and add prongs. I think you can add prongs without shaving the bezel, but it will make your stone sit a little higher.

That''s a beautiful setting, by the way. The diamonds look great, as does the milgraining. Did it cost extra for the milgraining? Any of those stones you posted looked beautiful in the setting color-wise. I guess I''d choose the one that fits the best. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty LD. Do you think the diamond upgrade was worth it now that you have seen the LOGR SI?

I vote the purple sapphire. Even though it is a dark stone, it has a nice contrast against the white and it doesn''t seem to go "black" in the bezel as most deeply saturated stones tend to do.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
By the way, is that setting for a 6mm round, and do you know the width of your malaya garnet? Just curious...

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You have some very nice stones. I don''t own any settings by that maker but have noticed they are popular here in the colored stone forum. What are the size and quality of the diamonds like?

If I were to choose a stone that setting I''d probably go with the purple sapphire or the malaya garnet.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani - Thanks for the info on bezel setting. Very interesting indeed. In answer to your questions: The Malaya Garnet is 5.5mm and the LOGR setting is a 6mm as you thought. LOGR added the millgraining for free which I was surprised and delighted about.

TL - Do I think the upgrade to VS is worth it? Mmmmmm, really I''m not sure. The diamonds are so tiny that it''s difficult to tell. The problem for me is that the Legacyesque setting of mine is SI quality and stunning - although as you know I''ve had other SI settings that have gone back. Honestly I don''t know. I don''t think I would have upgraded if the setting hadn''t been won at a low price! Sorry, that doesn''t really answer you does it?!

Innerkitten - the diamonds on this particular setting are tiny but very pretty. There has been a lot of debate on the quality of LOGR diamonds - some have been great and others less so. I honestly don''t know how to guarantee a good setting but I think TL may be right when she''s mentioned that the more you pay with them the better quality you end up with!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have that setting with supposedly VS diamonds, I don't think it's worth it to upgrade because they are so incredibly tiny. The diamonds on the Legacy ones are larger, and I think it might be worth it in that case. Thanks for answering my quesiton.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Now that is tasty! I like the purple color change sapphire too! YUM!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Love the color change. The setting is very nice as well!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love the purple sapphire in the setting. It looks rich! The milligran looks absolutely terrific. It really frames the setting well!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everybody for your input. A decision has been made!!!!! I''m going to put the tri-colour sapphire in it. The sapphire doesn''t photograph well but it''s glorious and sparkly and has a hint of interest because you move it around and the colours just change! So that''s that!

However, in the process I''ve decided what to do with the purple sapphire (2nd line down) that has a bit of a colour change thing going on. This is what I''m going to have made:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Photographing a color change stone is difficult, and many sites take one picture and then photoshop the color change into the stone. If you look at both pictures, and the reflections are all exactly the same, then this is what was most likely done. The one thing you really need to do is see the stone in person, and live with it for a few days in various light. So make sure you can return a stone, as in most cases it will not live up to the pictures.

I have been seeing less and less good color change garnet rough coming out of East Africa each year. Two weeks ago, I did see a few nice stones, but they were too small for me, so I did pass on them. The better the color change, the more expensive the price, and the really good ones can get rather expensive.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 6:10:49 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Photographing a color change stone is difficult, and many sites take one picture and then photoshop the color change into the stone. If you look at both pictures, and the reflections are all exactly the same, then this is what was most likely done. The one thing you really need to do is see the stone in person, and live with it for a few days in various light. So make sure you can return a stone, as in most cases it will not live up to the pictures.

I have been seeing less and less good color change garnet rough coming out of East Africa each year. Two weeks ago, I did see a few nice stones, but they were too small for me, so I did pass on them. The better the color change, the more expensive the price, and the really good ones can get rather expensive.
Gene - I took all of those photos and didn't photoshop at all (because I don't have it)!!! I played around with the colour balance to try to recreate the colour I'm seeing. I see what you mean about the reflections in the stone but in this case I can categorically say that no photoshopping was involved! If you look at my fingers (on the left in the right hand photo) you'll see there's a marginal difference in angle although the two photos do look remarkably similar - believe me it was a pure fluke!!!!

ETA I've just looked at the photos again and I must hold my hand a certain way when I photograph because all the hand shots are incredibly similar!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results