shape
carat
color
clarity

New LIW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

I''ve been lurking on this site for a long time and have learned SOO much! Finally my boyfriend of almost 5 years has given me the go ahead to look for a diamond.
36.gif

I''ve got about a month to choose/design the ring... but I can''t decide between asscher or round. I was thinking either a 2ct asscher (my bf''s favorite shape) or a 1.75 round... I have short thin fingers (size 4.5) - do you think square cuts make fingers look stubbier?

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and please add me too the list. Hope I won''t be on it too long
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome GongJoo!

I would have a hard time picking between an Asscher and a round. Any idea what kind of setting you are looking for?

And I don''t know if you know, but in Korean "gongjoo" means princess (I think...my Korean is actually quite bad). Not sure if you are Korean, or if that was some wacky coincidence. I am assuming you knew.
2.gif

And you should find yourself a ring fit for a QUEEN!

wcitygirl

Rough_Rock
Welcome! As to your question about Asscher vs. RB.... I have short fingers (for my hand size) and *I* think they''re kind of chubby -- it''s a hang up I have. Anyway, I have tried on a couple of rings and I feel like really square cuts make my hand look stumpy. I could do a cushion cut and I haven''t tried on an asscher, although I do love them. Princess cut diamonds look heinous on me.... Just some input.
9.gif

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
hehe that''s funny that you knew what gongjoo means. I''m actually not Korean but I am Chinese, and it basically means the same thing. It''s just a silly thing from back in college.
2.gif

I think princess cuts look terrible on me too! Also, for some reason, I always think the sharp corners are going to scratch me.

Lately my fingers have been looking even more stubby and unattractive because I started practicing acupuncture - have to use my hands all day, and the constant washing is doing wonders to my skin! So...that makes me think maybe I shouldn''t get a more intricate setting and just settle for a plain solitaire.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Dont settle! Just make sure you have s afe place to place the ring while washing your hands and oddles of lotion. <y bff mother wears little cotton gloves with lotion in them while she gets ready and her hands look very young. I dont know if that would help you I tried it but lost my ability to brush on my teeth and not my entire face...I am a spaz. Go for the ring of your dreams, practicality is only part of it, how it makes you feel matters too. (Though 99% of that will come from the man you love regardless of what he gives you)

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I have been struggling with the same decision! Weird how I can completely love such different stones, but I do. I feel like I have sort of stumpy fingers, too, but I haven''t gotten to try on an asscher yet, b/c no one around here has any! Still, I think if you put it into a delicate setting, it would look lovely. Also, a well-cut asscher has strong cut corners, which would keep it from having the same look as a princess on your hand (and I agree about those sharp-looking corners!)

We''re going to a flower show in Philly on Sat., and I''m hoping I can get into a nice jewelry store while we''re there!
12.gif
I''ll let you know how the comparison goes!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
hi
35.gif

I would say try both on, one on each hand, and see if you are more drawn to one of them over the other.

If you still can''t decide, maybe go for the Asscher since it is your b/f''s favorite. You can always get an RB right hand ring later
2.gif
, or have RB''s on your wedding band.

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
You know, I was thinking the exact opposite! Get a RB now (for me) and then an asscher down the line for an anniversary. Is that selfish?
3.gif
I don''t think so...!

Also, the frustrating thing is that he doesn''t like any of the framed settings for asschers. Lovey''s asscher ring is gorgeous...and looks huge! Seems to me like a pretty good way to cut the cost of the stone..

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
Hi princess,

If you want something unique that not everyone will have then you should go with the asscher. But if you want the more classic look, go for the round. As for myself, I have tried on squarish diamonds (2.5 asscher - atleast I think it was an asscher) and I thought they made my fingers look stubby. And I swear the 1.64 round looked almost the same size as the 2.5 asscher! But I don''t know what the specs were on the diamond and whether the square one was cut deep.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!
1.gif
35.gif

I think both styles are wonderful. It''s a matter of personal preference but it helps to think about what you will like in 10, 20, 30 years down the road. Either way, whatever you don''t end up getting for an e-ring you can get for a right-hand ring!
2.gif
I agree with twinkletoes that the square stones look smaller than round stones for the same or similar carat weight. Oh yeah.. I think it also depends on the setting. Different center stones will bring a totally different look to the same setting (in my opinion).

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gongjoo....welcome to PS! You have to be excited to know that your proposal is going to come soon! I would say what the other ladies have said. You truly have to see both on your hand. A RB is going to face up larger as it''s not as deep as an assher. Another thing to consider is that it takes time to find a well cut Assher....at least that''s what I''ve been reading on the boards. I don''t know if inventory has changed, but you may want to also consider that given your time frame. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results