shape
carat
color
clarity

New Life for an Old Diamond (Recut and Setting)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a .992 ct round diamond that my grandmother had bought from a neighbor years ago and had given to me in a pendant when I was 15. I loved it as a young person, but as I got older, it didn't hold my interest anymore. It was splintery and not well cut (very deep). It sat in a box for decades. Pricescope taught me about cut (the cut of this diamond was a disaster), and I decided to have this stone recut by Brian Gavin. Not much diameter was lost, and the recut stone weighs .85 ct. I had it AGS certified and it came back as G SI1 with Ideal optical proportions (one heart is imperfect, as you can see in the images in the other thread, but that's not factored into the angle analysis). So...my first Ideal cut diamond. Here's my thread about the experience, complete with before and after info (tons of after photos at the bottom of the first page):

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sent-an-ugly-1ct-diamond-to-brian-gavin-for-recut-analysis.203438/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sent-an-ugly-1ct-diamond-to-brian-gavin-for-recut-analysis.203438/[/URL]

Unset, it didn't do much for me, I have to admit, though I could tell that it was far more beautiful than it had been before. I decided to have it set in a very inexpensive Stuller halo setting (but with the highest quality melee they had) just for the heck of it. I didn't know when I ordered it that it would have an airline, and I would certainly prefer if it didn't, but it does add to the diameter, and it allows me to see the perfect girdle. Again, the setting was really inexpensive, so I'm not freaking out about it. The setting is 14kwg, plated with rhodium. The diamond is G color (SI1 clarity).

All of this said...I am REALLY ENJOYING IT, and surprised how much presence it has at .85 ct! I've been wearing it for a few days. My camera isn't doing me any favors. But here it is...

recutdiamondring1.jpg

recutdiamondring2.jpg

recutdiamondring3.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
More photos...

recutdiamondring4.jpg

recutdiamondring5.jpg

Comparison with my 5.01ct solitaire:

recutdiamondring6.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful result - enjoy!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, Tourmaline! I hope you love wearing it. It is great that you have both looks, halo and ginormous solitaire!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great recut and beautiful ring Tourmaline! Enjoy wearing it. You made some great choices.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
It's perfect! I love the way you set it!
I enjoyed the fire shots, too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing fireball you now have. I love the setting, too. Looks great on your hand.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
New life is exactly right! :love: And what a nice setting! :appl:

I had a diamond recut by WF & the result is amazing--enjoy your 'new' diamond!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, everyone! I am really enjoying it! :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! :love:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It turned out beautifully! It looks very elegant in the new setting! Btw, I think your photos are great! Congrats!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's great that you get to wear it and enjoy it now!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Nicely done! recut and setting!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline, that is just the best idea ever, to make it more beautiful and now you wear it more. And setting it into a halo is awesome. I had considered that before making it into a stud. Congratulations on having a beautiful new ring to wear!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you all! In wearing this, I am noticing a lot of things about the differences between big and little diamonds. I like (and can SEE) the facet pattern on my large diamond better, but at the size of the small one, it's always a ball of light (I bet the halo helps).

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's how I've been wearing it.

image_3641.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline, that looks SO beautiful! :love: :clap: The diamond is gorgeous, and I love the setting - and wow, the band goes perfectly with it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That turned out great!!! :appl: I had a 1 ct family diamond recut by BG, too, and it makes SUCH a big difference! Very pretty setting, too!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! :love:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on a successful recut and new life for a family diamond :)
I love the setting that you chose for it also. Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results