shape
carat
color
clarity

New Iphone 4

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Are you on the list? Apple is reporting that some 600,000 presales means that those who order now will wait till July before getting theirs, despite the June 24th release date.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not on the list! Just got a new phone last week and it''s a touch screen and the lock mode comes undone constantly. The other day, I reached into my purse to discover I was logged onto south african soccer!
37.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
MC What phone did you get? I''m in an immediate market for one. I have used an LG Dare for two years, which is also a touch screen. It was the most expensive phone I''ve ever purchased! And after barely 2years, the touch screen is BROKEN. Which, without a physical keyboard has rendered it useless. When I tried to google the issue, others have said that if the touch screen is always activated, from say knocking into things in a bag or pocket it is more likely to burn out.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My FIL is sending me one from Atlanta, I can''t wait!

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I want one so badly that it almost hurts.

I have an old ''hand-me-down'' phone that is riddled with problems so I think it wouldn''t be unjustified to upgrade. I''m really put off by the number of people who will be jumping from a 3GS phone to an Iphone 4 and can''t help but wonder where all the 3GS phones will end up. As such I''m probably going to wait until they are released here and try to pick up a cheap second hand 3GS. In reality it will do everything that I need from a phone, I just won''t look as awesome using it.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I was just in the Apple store today. FI dropped my iPhone 3GS on the sidewalk a few weeks ago and immediately said "I''ll buy you a new one!" iPhone 4 was announced two days later. hehe.

They said since our contract isn''t very old, it''s going to cost $400 for the new iPhone. I''m thinking about it. My screen cracked when he dropped it and it''s getting worse every few days. So I need to get a new phone regardless but I''m not sure if I''m getting the new iPhone. Where did you hear it''s going to be July before people get them?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 8:12:27 PM
Author: hihowareyou
I want one so badly that it almost hurts.

I have an old ''hand-me-down'' phone that is riddled with problems so I think it wouldn''t be unjustified to upgrade. I''m really put off by the number of people who will be jumping from a 3GS phone to an Iphone 4 and can''t help but wonder where all the 3GS phones will end up. As such I''m probably going to wait until they are released here and try to pick up a cheap second hand 3GS. In reality it will do everything that I need from a phone, I just won''t look as awesome using it.
omg that is seriously wise - so wise that I may need to pick a couple up while I''m in the states in July!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our carrier doesn''t have them but I have an iPod Touch and love it. I want a phone now.

We ordered 2 :D

My phone was (sold it!) a 3gs, about a year old. Fiances is also a 3gs, and about 6 months old?? LOL

So, I got the new upgrade pricing and he didn't. We WERE going to do the 32gb but I couldn't make up my mind so we did 2 16GB @ $199 and one at $399.

I tried ordering from 4am-9am.. when FI finally went into an AT&T store to order. The system went down so our order was done with pen and paper... lol

We got the confirmation emails this morning... June 24th- June 28th. It is what it is.

I laugh at people that say, "Wahhhh I didn't get what I want... I'm going to DROID!" hahaha see ya!

FYI I sold my 3gs for really cheap- $340. Fiance will also be $340.

It's a good price because then there is no upgrade or extending your contract.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 5:19:08 PM
Author: mayachel
MC What phone did you get? I'm in an immediate market for one. I have used an LG Dare for two years, which is also a touch screen. It was the most expensive phone I've ever purchased! And after barely 2years, the touch screen is BROKEN. Which, without a physical keyboard has rendered it useless. When I tried to google the issue, others have said that if the touch screen is always activated, from say knocking into things in a bag or pocket it is more likely to burn out.
It's the Pantech Pursuit At&T. It's brand new on the market - probably a bad idea as I'm part of the testing group, I guess.

My husband says that I'm screwed if the touch screen goes out. It does have a slid-out keyboard, but still requires touch to access the menu, contacts, etc. One of the buttons is already acting funky. Since the rebate form was already sent in, I'm wondering if they'd even let me return it. . .not to mention the "restocking fee" was part of the agreement!

My DH picked out a simple texting phone, which after rebate, came to $9.99 and he loves it. Go figure!

How much did you pay for yours? Mine was $49 after rebate. Guess I'll have to be sure to turn it off during the day for a few hours (and all night) to keep the touch screen from burning out.

Here's the phone: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Pantech+Pursuit+(TM)+-+Blue&q_sku=sku4670292

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got on the list - but it was a total hassle. It started with trying to do it through Apple''s website after midnight on the 15th. Got stuck on the "accessing account" page, so after failed attempts later on that morning, I got through on the AT&T website around noon. I thought my order went through, but I didn''t get a confirmation email. So, I called and was told there was no order, so I tried again and placed a second order. Come Wednesday morning, I get an email saying the order was canceled. By this time, AT&T had stopped taking all pre-orders. I talked to an AT&T representative, who told me that my first order had gone through, and that the cancellation applied to the second order.

All of this because I didn''t want to wait in line at a store. Talk about drama and hassle. They should have expected a huge rush of people, and they weren''t prepared.

I don''t have the 3gs, I bought the 3g just before 3gs came out. So, the jump to iPhone 4 makes a little more sense, I suppose. I''ll just skip every other generation of phone.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just got my 3g in April so I''m not getting a 4 any time soon. This one suits me just fine lol

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
DH orderedo one. He has the 3G, which has pretty bad reception compared to my 3GS. Mine is fairly new, and not upgradable yet. So no Iphone 4 for me.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
MC-your new phone is adorable! Just to clarify, I think mine ceased functioning from "stuff" constantly hitting the screen and so it thought it should be doing something. Point being, I don''t know that it makes a difference to turn it off at night (unless you wear yours to sleep
3.gif
) This is all hypothetical.

Mine was around $150 after all the rebatey contract upgrade stuff. So now, I''m due either a $100 credit on an upgrade if I go through Verizon OR I get nadda and switch to AT&T.

I heard a rumor from a friend today, that AT&T may be willing to give out a loaner phone until the new iphone comes in, since otherwise I would be completely phoneless.

Swedish Bean-you are hilarious.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not on the list but I''ll definitely get one. I can wait another couple of months for it, though-I''m not an early adopter! (That''s my husband''s job!
3.gif
) I might ask for one for my birthday in August.

It will actually be a big upgrade for me because right now I have the 3G, not the 3GS.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the 4 offer that the prior version does not? I''m curious what the difference is, and why people want the new one.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I missed the pre-order!!!!!!
39.gif

I tried on the 15th but I don''t know if I''m staying in the US past Sept. so I didn''t do it, and then it was too late on the 16th.

Btw, does anyone know what AT&T''s policy is on iPhones if you cancel the contract? I''d like to keep the iPhone 4G if I''m overseas and not return it if I cancel the contract (I''m sure I can get out of the termination fee though since I''d be moving overseas), but I forget what their policy is (2 months? 3 months?). Bah.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 10:52:48 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
What does the 4 offer that the prior version does not? I''m curious what the difference is, and why people want the new one.

It''s cooler
2.gif

Well the iPhone 3GS will get the software upgrade and be able to multi-task, etc. like the 4G, but the 4G has the forward-facing camera so you can do Live Chat (which the previous iPhones will never be able to do because they only have the one camera in the back). That''s the only major difference I can think of off the top of my head.

Date: 6/18/2010 6:46:15 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
39.gif

I tried on the 15th but I don''t know if I''m staying in the US past Sept. so I didn''t do it, and then it was too late on the 16th.

Btw, does anyone know what AT&T''s policy is on iPhones if you cancel the contract? I''d like to keep the iPhone 4G if I''m overseas and not return it if I cancel the contract (I''m sure I can get out of the termination fee though since I''d be moving overseas), but I forget what their policy is (2 months? 3 months?). Bah.

AT&T recently upped their smart phone cancellation fee to $350, I think (for two years). However it''s prorated, so if you keep the phone a year, you would spend $175 to buy out your contracts. You should get to keep the phone.

If you are getting the $199 phone, plus the $350, it''s really not a bad deal.

Date: 6/17/2010 10:52:48 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
What does the 4 offer that the prior version does not? I'm curious what the difference is, and why people want the new one.

Multi-tasking, but that will also affect 3gs, not sure about 3g.

It's slimmer.

The switched to a micro-sim to make more room for other things. The antenna is now the band on the outside of the phone.

The new screen- its called a retina display. It displays more pixels than the human eye can see at 10 inches (I think 10 inches). I am very excited about this improvement.

The new screen- the glass is super scratch resistant and is re-inforced so that it doesn't break as easily. They also replaced the aluminum and plastic backs with the glass as well. (This feature has me worried- more things to "break" if dropped.)

Front facing camera + the original back facing camera. 5MP with auto touch focus.

New LED light on the back of the camera for taking pictures.

The processors are supposed to be faster and the general user experience is supposed to be more pleasing.

Oh it also shoots HD video now, that can be edited on the new iMovies App software (I believe that's what it's called).

FaceTime, being able to talk to another iPhone 4 user (on wifi) using the camera- front AND back. I am really excited about this. I also think that the front facing camera will probably be utilized in other app updates to come, so I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Sadly, AT&T technology is too far behind to make Steve happy
3.gif
2.gif
I suspect that once AT&T gets their Sh!t into gear and wades through all of the recent problems, hopefully more iPhone issues get resolved (dropped calls, no service, no 3g service, slow network, congested network)

If you want to watch the Keynote Address from two weeks ago, you can view it here. It's about an hour and forty mins long, but it's good.

Also, when Steve is attempting to show a new feature and it doesn't work it's NOT because of Apple or AT&T, it's because they were on wifi and apparently there were over 550 people in just that room trying to access it.

I haven't ordered a case yet, kicking myself for that. The "bumpers" are now back ordered 3+ weeks. (same crap with the ipad, it's a 3-4 week ship date)

Anyhoooooo....

I really liked the presentation and I suggest watching it!!!

ETA: they have netflix for iPad, but IPHONE is getting netflix!!! woohoo!!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
And the antennas are built around the phone for better reception. There was speculation that a lot of the issues with the phone were because of the design.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2010 5:56:33 AM
Author: swedish bean

39.gif

AT&T recently upped their smart phone cancellation fee to $350, I think (for two years). However it''s prorated, so if you keep the phone a year, you would spend $175 to buy out your contracts. You should get to keep the phone.

Nope. I''d rather get a new iPhone to use with wi-fi overseas than an iPod touch, plus I figure if I''m moving overseas for the foreseeable future because of a job, I should be able to get out of the ETF and not pay the $350. That''s actually what I''m counting on. I wish I hadn''t missed the pre-order though. Grr.

BF is going overseas and I''m going to give him my iPhone 3G to use there (with wi-fi for Skype, internet, etc.) since he won''t be taking his computer. So I want my 4G NOW. I think I will be at the Apple store on the afternoon of the 24th with my Kindle and earphones, ready to hang out in line (yup, I''m obsessed).

Ooh Netflix coming to iPhone??? Awesome!

Date: 6/19/2010 7:09:21 PM

39.gif

Nope. I''d rather get a new iPhone to use with wi-fi overseas than an iPod touch, plus I figure if I''m moving overseas for the foreseeable future because of a job, I should be able to get out of the ETF and not pay the $350. That''s actually what I''m counting on. I wish I hadn''t missed the pre-order though. Grr.

BF is going overseas and I''m going to give him my iPhone 3G to use there (with wi-fi for Skype, internet, etc.) since he won''t be taking his computer. So I want my 4G NOW. I think I will be at the Apple store on the afternoon of the 24th with my Kindle and earphones, ready to hang out in line (yup, I''m obsessed).

Re netflix on iphone: I am curious to see how it will run on 3g as netflix doesn''t really do any pre-loading (so you can''t pause it while it loads more- maybe this will change for iPhone?). If you do netflix on 3g and not wifi I suspect it will take a lot of the data plan up! But, I am super excited for this feature. I''m a netflix-aholic :D

Re phone prices: honestly, if you end up needing to sell the phone before the 2 years are up (or after the buy-out option) I am pretty confident that you will be able to make back around the same if not more money than you even put into the phone. As long as the phone stays pristine with the box (and if you can help it, keeping the headphone wrapped) you can usually get a good amount for the phone. But, that''s only if you want to sell it. But, I really hope they let you out of the ETF, that would be great. (though, I''ve never heard of that before, because I know apple/ AT&T makes back the money they lose on the subsidized phones with that fee.)

Re june 24: I''m not sure if you read the apple forums but people are planning on camping out for the phone.. even people with reservations. I was in an apple store today and was told there will be two lines, one for people with reservations, and another for people with no reservations. I bet they sell out pretty quickly!! I''m not sure if you saw this but there was a guy camped out in texas... starting last thursday!!!

Re pennquaker: I think it''s really innovative for them to do that. When Gizmodo posted the iPhone 4 before the official keynote address, they assumed it was for the "removable" battery. I highly doubt that will ever happen. I am wondering though if having the actual antenna closer to your face is good though... before I think the antenna was a bit further away???

Only 5 more days! (or 9, if mine ships late
11.gif
)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 3:53:58 AM
Date: 6/19/2010 7:09:21 PM

39.gif

Re netflix on iphone: I am curious to see how it will run on 3g as netflix doesn''t really do any pre-loading (so you can''t pause it while it loads more- maybe this will change for iPhone?). If you do netflix on 3g and not wifi I suspect it will take a lot of the data plan up! But, I am super excited for this feature. I''m a netflix-aholic :D

Re phone prices: honestly, if you end up needing to sell the phone before the 2 years are up (or after the buy-out option) I am pretty confident that you will be able to make back around the same if not more money than you even put into the phone. As long as the phone stays pristine with the box (and if you can help it, keeping the headphone wrapped) you can usually get a good amount for the phone. But, that''s only if you want to sell it. But, I really hope they let you out of the ETF, that would be great. (though, I''ve never heard of that before, because I know apple/ AT&T makes back the money they lose on the subsidized phones with that fee.)

Re june 24: I''m not sure if you read the apple forums but people are planning on camping out for the phone.. even people with reservations. I was in an apple store today and was told there will be two lines, one for people with reservations, and another for people with no reservations. I bet they sell out pretty quickly!! I''m not sure if you saw this but there was a guy camped out in texas... starting last thursday!!!

Re pennquaker: I think it''s really innovative for them to do that. When Gizmodo posted the iPhone 4 before the official keynote address, they assumed it was for the ''removable'' battery. I highly doubt that will ever happen. I am wondering though if having the actual antenna closer to your face is good though... before I think the antenna was a bit further away???

Only 5 more days! (or 9, if mine ships late
11.gif
)

I''ve read on various forums that phone companies will normally waive the ETF as long as you show them some kind of documentation (transfer order, work contract, sometimes even a visa) showing that you''re moving out of the country. I think it has to be to a country where AT&T doesn''t have coverage, though. I''ll have to look into that more.

I''m still on the unlimited data plan and I''m pretty sure I can stay on it (because I''m already an iPhone (3G) customer, but honestly, I don''t come close to using it. 200 MB will be more than enough for me - I think maybe one month I went over and not by much.

And I''m definitely not camping out! I think I"ll swing by late afternoon and see what the lines look like. The Chicago Apple guy told me that last time they still had phones in the evening and hardly any line but he can''t predict what it will be like this time around. Might as well stop by and see!
1.gif

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got my customer service summary for my iPhone 4 today
30.gif

There is a 30 day service cancellation policy/equipment return policy. So, if you don''t like it, you have 30 days to cancel it. But, oddly, it says, if you do not accept your service terms and conditions within 25 days and do not return the equipment within 30 days, you will be billed for the phone''s full price. hmmm...

Oh boy I can''t wait to get the phone! I keep checking the order status...to see when it actually gets shipped to me!

I''m not doing that bumper thing - but it''s kinda hard to figure out what case I want.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are your options for a new iPhone case:

Insanity

Of course, this being ps, I can only wonder what we''d say about those diamonds!
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just now remembered this thread! So....who got one??? Thoughts?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Re:

marcy said:
Our carrier doesn''t have them but I have an iPod Touch and love it. I want a phone now.

I love my iPod touch.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I've had mine for a few weeks now and I love it. I have a case on mine so haven't experienced the reception issues people are reporting.

It is so much faster than my old 3G and multitasking is divine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results