shape
carat
color
clarity

new here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vineyard_bride

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to introduce myself, found this site tonight :)

My e-ring will also serve as my wedding ring, I prefer one ring. The center stone is a round .5 carat diamond that has been in my family for 5 generations. It has always been given as an engagement ring, and then after 25 years of wedded bliss the stone is upgraded and the original stone is passed down to the next to marry. At the moment it''s set in a men''s ring, as my grandfather has been wearing it.

I''m having it made by a jeweler who my family has known for a very long time, he designed my mom''s wedding ring. I have a few styles picked out to take as inspiration; I now know I like channel settings for smaller accent stones and that I like rings with lower profiles.

The attached photo is of my current e-ring, a family ring I''ve been wearing since the engagement.

Just wanted to introduce myself!

Anything I''m missing?

IMG_3161.JPG

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations and welcome! That is a wonderful family tradition!

*M*

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful tradition! Welcome to Pricescope and keep those pictures coming!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Welcome to ps, thanks for sharing the picture of your gorgeous e-ring/wedding band. I like the idea of one ring two, but then...I like the idea of more bling...so two is nice too LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! And that is just wonderful to have a family diamond! We''ll look forward to seeing it in it''s new setting!

vineyard_bride

Rough_Rock
this is the stone, set in grandfather''s ring

it''s 1/2 ct gh vssi

very dirty (he was a smoker!)

vineyard_bride

Rough_Rock
whooops!

IMG_3066.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what happens to the empty spot in the ring?

The only concern I''d have is that I''d want to always have my wedding band, so I''d be hesitant to set the family stone in my wedding band. I can see upgrading the e-ring later. But I''d want at least a plain thin wedding band that I''d keep forever.

vineyard_bride

Rough_Rock
the empty spot on the ring is filled with an upgraded stone, and the diamond (the family one) is stored.

Is that what you were asking?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 9:11:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
So what happens to the empty spot in the ring?

The only concern I''d have is that I''d want to always have my wedding band, so I''d be hesitant to set the family stone in my wedding band. I can see upgrading the e-ring later. But I''d want at least a plain thin wedding band that I''d keep forever.
Not to mention there are times when it is just not safe or feasible to be wearing a diamond ring, for fear of damaging yourself or the stone... I also would want to have a wedding ring that I could wear all the time. You can get ones that are VERY small... 2mm wide even. And I think I have seen one that is only 1.5 mm, so very thin indeed. Just a thought.

*M*

vineyard_bride

Rough_Rock
here are some of the settings I am considering

t6ct3s.jpg

L952304copy.jpg

L10300531.jpg

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Hi Vineyard Bride and welcome to PS!
35.gif

What an exciting time for you - what a lovely family tradition to pass down the engagement diamond. I personally like setting option 3 the best. I agree with the others that you will want to consider a wedding band for the times that you may not want to wear your diamond.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
What a neat tradition....I love it!

I personally love the third one....it''s gorgeous!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! What a lovely family tradition you have. My personal choice would be the first one. It is such a pretty and sophisticated design and would look terrific worn by itself!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I love family stones! Your ering is very pretty. More pics, please!

alyson423

Rough_Rock
VERY nice-- a family that embraces the "upgrade" tradition!! I always love to see stones that are passed through families, but the settings you are looking at will definitely make your ring your own. Make sure you post pics of the final product!

darling

Shiny_Rock
VB - I love your family''s tradition. My family lost everything during WWII so there was nothing to pass down. I have decided that it is my "duty" to accumulate as much jewelry as I can (poor DH) so that I will have something to give to my children and grandchildren.
Interestingly, as much as I love being adorned, there are many days that I don''t wear any jewelry at all. You know llike the "ugly" days - when you didn''t get enough sleep, no shower and yet you have to run to the store for an errand. The last thing I would want is to call any attention to myself. There are many other occasions when I go ringless. When we first got married, I teased my husband that I wouldn''t wear my wedding band, which was yellow gold on my "silver" days, because I didn''t like to mix metals/styles. He didn''t quite get that. Now he doesn''t wear his wedding band because of work.

Interestingly, my parents haven''t worn their wedding bands for several decades now. I guess we all feel so married, it doesn''t really matter.

VB, congratulations on your engagement. I like designs #1 and #3.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
How lucky you are to get a family diamond!

I love the first split shank setting you posted. Whatever you choose, it''s going to be lovely!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that third one! And I echo the sentiments on such a lovely tradition.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the third one, but that design wouldn''t allow for an upgraded diamond (unless it was just in characteristics other than size).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results