shape
carat
color
clarity

New here with a dilemma... My 10-yr anniv gift HURTS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love this forum! Been lurking here lately... as I have a problem.

Hubby gave me a ring for our 10-year anniversary that I've always dreamed about. It's a diamond/plat eternity band, prong set with round stones 3.75 total ctw. I have been wearing it for almost three weeks, and I just broke the news to him today (after much soul-searching LOL) that this ring is truly uncomfortable.

I have small hands and little (short) fingers. Wedding band is a 3.5, ER is a 3.75. I had found the most comfy place to wear the new eternity band was closest to my hand; I had my wedding ring/ER re-sized to a 4 to make them more comfy, since closer to my knuckle my finger gets wider. I tried this for a couple weeks but the eternity band is still awful to wear.

So, as much as I hate to give this ring back to the store (they said no prob) I don't know what to get instead.
I really love the idea of lots of bling and sparkle, since I wear no other jewelry unless it's a special occasion. I'm pretty traditional, as you will see from the pics of the rings I wear.

Anyone have an idea of a substitute? I would like to wear the anniversary band next to my wedding rings, rather than try a right-hand ring. I am willing to change my ER setting, I guess.

Sorry so long... I'm really bummed that my "dream ring" isn't going to work out.

http://www.virtualkings.com/sp_soop/forum/uploads/tapbluesquirrel/images/2005-03-07_160426_ringsoff.JPG

http://www.virtualkings.com/sp_soop/forum/uploads/tapbluesquirrel/images/2005-03-07_160453_ringson2a.JPG

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Welcome bluedawg. I''m sorry to hear about your new ring hurting your hand! I''m posting the picture of it here. It''s a gorgeous ring but I can see how those large stones might irritate your hand. Have you considered a channel set ring? The stones would be set inside the metal so they should not scratch as much.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
6585.jpg

Here is an eternity ring that is channel set. The total carat weight of this ring is 2.75 but I''m sure you could get it in any size.

I hate to ask this, but have you considered going with smaller stones? I know, I know, blasphemy!
2.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
What about getting a half eternity band (or anniversary band as some call it) where there is only 5 or 7 diamonds across the top? I can''t wear eternity bands either because my hands are really sensitive and the dimonds rubbing against the sides of my fingers is bothersome. I have a 5 diamond band so there is gold that rubs against my fingers. It is very comfortable.

kbinabug

Rough_Rock
So sorry to hear that your dream ring is so uncomfortable!
21.gif
Are the stones "scratchy" or is it the total thickness of all 3 rings that make it uncomfortable? If the shared prong setting is "scratchy," a channel set band would probably be more comfortable, particularly if you want to stay in the same TCW range. If it is the combined thickness of the 3 rings, a smaller TCW in either shared prong or channel set would help. While I like "Bling" as much as the next person, well cut stones in a smaller TCW will still give you "bling" without the thickness. Good luck on your decision!

kbinabug

Rough_Rock
Sorry, don''t know how that smiley face got in there...he was supposed to be sad!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same problem here... with a size 3 finger and serious inclination for wide eternity bands
7.gif

Just thinking of it: doesn't one full eternity band contain enough rock to make two half eternity bands
31.gif
... those could be stacked to boot.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies.
I haven''t tried a channel-set but I think I will. That one you posted is pretty... but it seems a bit too modern for my other two rings? Am I just crazy?
I think it''s hard for me to see the three rings together... because my Ering and Wring fit so smoothly together (though not purchased as a set); the eternity band sticks out so far on the sides. After trying the rings in different positions/order on my finger, I decided that it looked best to me to put the eternity band closest to my hand and have the Ering separated from it by the Wring. The Tiffany setting does not fit well against the eternity band and therefore, looks less than "optimum" (at least to me).

And so, with the eternity band closest to my hand, it pinches!

I have been looking thru the "Show Me the Ring" thread and am back and forth on this whole dilemma. Should I just bag the idea of wearing the eternity band with my other rings and wear it as a RHR (not my first choice}? Maybe re-set my Ering so that if fits nicely (and looks better) next to my eternity band-- allowing me to wear the eternity band in a more comfy (less hand-pinchy) position? Or return the eternity band for something else?

Decisions... decisions.

Thanks again.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2005 11:32:12 PM
Author: bluedawg
Thanks for your replies.
I haven''t tried a channel-set but I think I will. That one you posted is pretty... but it seems a bit too modern for my other two rings? Am I just crazy?
I think it''s hard for me to see the three rings together... because my Ering and Wring fit so smoothly together (though not purchased as a set); the eternity band sticks out so far on the sides. After trying the rings in different positions/order on my finger, I decided that it looked best to me to put the eternity band closest to my hand and have the Ering separated from it by the Wring. The Tiffany setting does not fit well against the eternity band and therefore, looks less than ''optimum'' (at least to me).

And so, with the eternity band closest to my hand, it pinches!

I have been looking thru the ''Show Me the Ring'' thread and am back and forth on this whole dilemma. Should I just bag the idea of wearing the eternity band with my other rings and wear it as a RHR (not my first choice}? Maybe re-set my Ering so that if fits nicely (and looks better) next to my eternity band-- allowing me to wear the eternity band in a more comfy (less hand-pinchy) position? Or return the eternity band for something else?

Decisions... decisions.

Thanks again.
have you try on a 5 stone ring? that''s one of the reason why i didn''t buy wife a eternity ring the other is ,if you need to resize,its a pain in the butt.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2005 6:48:48 PM
Author: jellybean
What about getting a half eternity band (or anniversary band as some call it) where there is only 5 or 7 diamonds across the top? I can''t wear eternity bands either because my hands are really sensitive and the dimonds rubbing against the sides of my fingers is bothersome. I have a 5 diamond band so there is gold that rubs against my fingers. It is very comfortable.
This is what I have for all of my diamond bands. Diamonds all the way around is uncomfortable for me to wear. Also, I have no problem with them spinning around. They fit quite flush. Mine are Gemlok. They are very low set.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you go Channel it will sit like your other rings do. Not much of a bulge like this eternity is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results