shape
carat
color
clarity

New here- Who to choose for stone & setting & appraisal?

Paris1Day

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I am currently looking at Whiteflash or Good Old Gold for the purchase of my centre stone.
To have it sent to Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch.

VC has expressed that International clients have been unable to insure a loose diamond in the US. I am in Australia and this is my first time so don't know all the ins and outs. As far as I have read elsewhere on here that someone from Brisbane was able to use Q Report for the Insurance- can anyone confirm this?
I have messaged Martin Fuller Appraisals as well as he came recommended from someone who purchased a stone through GOG and had a great experience.

Am I on the right track here for a great experience buying my engagement ring?
Thanks heaps.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bumping this for you... I know there are a number of Aussie PSers who have worked with VC and SK.

I would also suggest considering VC for your center stone, unless there is something very specific that GOG can provide that VC cannot. VC, as you probably already know, cuts his own version of the european cut rounds and cushions, if that was what you were looking for.

I'm just saying that if you are considering getting a setting from VC, it might make sense to do a one-stop-shop. And you get a discount on the setting. Can't beat that.

If you are considering August Vintage Rounds, VC will not set those. But since you have already talked to him you probably know that. I think he will not set August Vintage Cushions either. I think it's a legal thing, but other PSers know better why.

Let us know what you choose!

Paris1Day

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom I am looking for a RBC stone AGS etc
Yeah I have definitely thought about one stop shop idea- just wonder if there is more markup than going with WF or GOG.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paris1Day|1479954719|4102097 said:
LLJsmom I am looking for a RBC stone AGS etc
Yeah I have definitely thought about one stop shop idea- just wonder if there is more markup than going with WF or GOG.

I don't think his stones are marked higher than WF or GOG. I am assuming that you are going for ACA's with WF, and GOG's top end Ascendancy line. I am also assuming that you are going with WF or GOG because of their super ideal cut MRBs. I think they are all at the same level. You can compare the prices of these three vendors with drop shippers like BlueNile and you will see a mark up. At least I do. I would happily pay the higher prices because to me I can see the difference. But between the 3, VC, WF, and GOG, not too much difference. In fact, I feel that GOG is on the high end. With VC and WF, it just depends on which stone you choose. they are all cut in house. Having one person do deal with for both the stone and the setting, and not worrying about shipping, esp when you are out of the country, would make a huge difference to me. I personally have worked with Victor on multiple occassions, and find him lovely to deal with, very responsive, and honest. He will tell me when something won't work or something won't look good.

I have also met with Steven Kirsch, who is very nice and easy to work with as well. Both their work is beautiful, but I do notice differences, just because they are different artists. These are differences that only the truly anal would notice.

Have you talked to Victor before? If not, he's super easy to chat with and a very low pressure type. See if there is any difference if you get the stone from him as well, with regard to the insurance issue.

Paris1Day

Rough_Rock
I have been emailing both guys. Been corresponding with Nicholas at VC and Steven himself. I feel like I am getting more out of the conversation with steven at this point in time. He has gone into detail with emails explaining a lot to me which is so helpful. I feel like with Nicholas I am not getting someone who gets me iykwim. The communication seems vague in a way.
I'm thinking I should just make a phone call instead of the jargon of emails.

Yes I am mostly looking at ACA's with WF.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I'm a fellow Aussie and had an antique pear set by VC this year. My stone came from Jewels By Grace and she sent it to Victor who set her in his emilya halo.

I was aware I couldn't insure my loose stone and this was a slight stress to me however Victor told me he felt confident and I trusted him.

My ring is beyond amazing and his work blew me away. Knowing what I know now, id never have worried at all but ask him the question.

If I can help you with any other questions let me know! I have a listing on loupetroup if you'd like to email ever.

Paris1Day

Rough_Rock
Hey laurenk :wavey:
Yeah I am beginning to think I just take the risk too but obviously make sure I have it done with a reputable person who I trust completely.
Partner reckons we should fly to America next year and just stay a week and get it done then I wouldn't have to worry about NOT seeing it for myself......mmm that'd be nice but we would need to win Gold Lotto lol *I think he is sick of me changing my mind/stressing out over all the unknowns and not being in control and just wants me to hurry up and get the darn ring* :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results