shape
carat
color
clarity

New here - question about St. Louis jeweler & ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for help/advice.

I have found reviews of Shane CO and decided we won''t be looking there. But I can''t find any information about a jeweler in downtown Kirkwood, MO called Mavrik Fine Jewelry & Diamonds. We''ve been there twice, we liked the owner. He has a big selection and he''s a diamond cutter.

We both had a good feeling about the store - and there was no pressure. He spent a lot of time with us.

The store had good reviews on CitySearch and something called Yelp ??

Anyone? Thank you.

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am treading thin ice here, and cannot comment on the store itself, as I am in your area. However, since no-one has replied I feel compelled to clarify one thing. He is not a diamond cutter, he has a relative who is in the diamond business in Israel.
There are many very fine independent (not in malls or shaneco.) jewelers in the St. Louis area who are both well regarded and very competitive with anything you will find online. As always, find someone you are comfortable with and that you trust, as you will hopefully be wearing your ring for the next 100 years...o). Congratulations on your upcoming engagement and have fun in your search.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Lori,

I live across the river in IL, just a bit north of St. Louis. I did a small amount of shopping there, but I''ve never heard of this jeweler. I finally ended up buying online, but had my ring independantly appraised in St. Louis. Another poster also used this same appraiser (bought her ring online), and was referred to this jeweler for any future work she might need. I would trust/respect this appraisers opinion.

I''m not saying the one you mentioned is not ok, just trying to give you one that someone knows something about!
2.gif

http://www.heffern.com/designers/webster.html

Good luck!

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lori,

I live in the area too and have never heard of this jeweler...and I have heard of/been to many around the area.
Not to say they are not OK...if you had a good feeling about them, you might try making a small $ purchase to get a feel for them and their customer service, etc.

Good luck with wherever you choose...

Kat

Hello Lover

Rough_Rock
I am from Kansas City but I go through St. Louis every now and then to visit college friends. On one of our trips down last summer, we stopped in there, after seeing a couple of ads in one of the local magazines. Alive maybe? Anyway...the selection was really nice and the salesperson we spoke with was incredibly knowledgeable and had heard of this site. I did ask if they were members but said they only read the boards now and then.

They seem to be masters of pave looking settings. Everything we saw was in some way encrusted.

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much! That is very helpful info - and you are absolutely right. We went back to Mavrik and asked, and he was very upfront and confirmed exactly what you said. I was the one who explained it incorrectly.

I had a good feeling at this store - I know that''s not research or actual experience. But I really like how patient and knowledgeable he was, and no pressure.

This is an exciting process, but kind of intimidating too.

Thank you very very much -

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much! We''re getting a little bit nervous about all of the stores and prices. I will visit the store you mentioned. (We''ve been back to Mavrik and it''s the only store we have returned to, so far.)

Thanks again

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Thank you (I love the picture of your dog!)

We did have a good feeling about the owner - His name is Igal Alon - I think that''s how it''s spelled. He''s very upfront and answered all of our questions immediately, without a sales pitch or any pressure. It''s a fairly new store.

We''ve been back once, and we''re still visiting other stores.

Thank you again!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let us know how everything goes!

p.s. I understand how intimidating it can be. Just take your time, ask questions, and if you feel uneasy, come home and think about it. And you can always ask questions you may have here, we''d be happy to help!

RLG

Shiny_Rock
Bummer I had typed a whole answer and it didn''t go through. Anyways, I second Ellen''s suggestion of http://www.heffern.com. I was just recently in there looking for a wedding band. Ann and Ryan who work there are both really great and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Another store I visited and liked was Simmons in Clayton. I haven''t been to the store you mentioned but I have driven by it. I hope that helps some. By the way welcome.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 4:30:10 PM
Author: RLG
Bummer I had typed a whole answer and it didn't go through. Anyways, I second Ellen's suggestion of http://www.heffern.com. I was just recently in there looking for a wedding band. Ann and Ryan who work there are both really great and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Another store I visited and liked was Simmons in Clayton. I haven't been to the store you mentioned but I have driven by it. I hope that helps some. By the way welcome.
Hey you!
35.gif

Do they have a lot of nice things in there? it sure looks like it from their website! I want to go over some time, just to window shop. Is it worth the hour drive?

RLG

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 4:53:09 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/2/2009 4:30:10 PM
Bummer I had typed a whole answer and it didn''t go through. Anyways, I second Ellen''s suggestion of http://www.heffern.com. I was just recently in there looking for a wedding band. Ann and Ryan who work there are both really great and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Another store I visited and liked was Simmons in Clayton. I haven''t been to the store you mentioned but I have driven by it. I hope that helps some. By the way welcome.
Hey you!
35.gif

Do they have a lot of nice things in there? it sure looks like it from their website! I want to go over some time, just to window shop. Is it worth the hour drive?
It is a smaller shop, but they have some really amazing pieces. They have trunk shows every so often (I believe they post it on thier website and they have an email list) I would make a special visit for one of those. If not I would make it a stop next time you were visiting. I hope you have been well!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:03:49 PM

It is a smaller shop, but they have some really amazing pieces. They have trunk shows every so often (I believe they post it on thier website and they have an email list) I would make a special visit for one of those. If not I would make it a stop next time you were visiting. I hope you have been well!
Ok, good to know. Maybe I''ll sign up on their list. Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, I''m good, hope you are as well!

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Thank you - everyone here is so kind and helpful!
36.gif

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
"Do they have a lot of nice things in there? it sure looks like it from their website! I want to go over some time, just to window shop. Is it worth the hour drive?"

Hi Ellen,

Thank you again! We went back last night and they have the most amazing diamond necklace! It''s - I think - 30 carats, each one a little bit larger until they meet in the front. I''ve never seen anything like it. I got to try it on and felt like - well, pretty amazing. Igal is so friendly and low-key - he saw me admire the necklace and just got it out for me to try on. The store is definitely worth the drive. There was also a 26-carat aquamarine (?? - light blue, square) with diamonds all around it. It was hard to concentrate on my engagement ring design
26.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 3:01:50 PM
Author: LoriK09
''Do they have a lot of nice things in there? it sure looks like it from their website! I want to go over some time, just to window shop. Is it worth the hour drive?''

Hi Ellen,

Thank you again! We went back last night and they have the most amazing diamond necklace! It''s - I think - 30 carats, each one a little bit larger until they meet in the front. I''ve never seen anything like it. I got to try it on and felt like - well, pretty amazing. Igal is so friendly and low-key - he saw me admire the necklace and just got it out for me to try on. The store is definitely worth the drive. There was also a 26-carat aquamarine (?? - light blue, square) with diamonds all around it. It was hard to concentrate on my engagement ring design
26.gif
Holy mackeral, those pieces sound gorgeous (and BIG) Lori! And lucky you, getting to try that necklace on.
9.gif
5.gif

Thank you so much for letting me know how your visit went, I really appreciate that! And it sounds like we will have to take a lil drive in the near future....
31.gif

And you are very welcome!

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 5:44:23 PM
Author: Hello Lover
I am from Kansas City but I go through St. Louis every now and then to visit college friends. On one of our trips down last summer, we stopped in there, after seeing a couple of ads in one of the local magazines. Alive maybe? Anyway...the selection was really nice and the salesperson we spoke with was incredibly knowledgeable and had heard of this site. I did ask if they were members but said they only read the boards now and then.

They seem to be masters of pave looking settings. Everything we saw was in some way encrusted.

Yes, exactly - Alive Magazine! That''s where we saw the ad - and even the ring that I went in there to see. It''s called euroshank (I made it my avatar
26.gif

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 12:26:09 PM
Author: dkodner
I am treading thin ice here, and cannot comment on the store itself, as I am in your area. However, since no-one has replied I feel compelled to clarify one thing. He is not a diamond cutter, he has a relative who is in the diamond business in Israel. Congratulations on your upcoming engagement and have fun in your search.

Thank you - I think I am learning how to reply correctly. You are right, his family are diamond cutters. I didn''t have it right. Thank you for your congratulations - we are having a great time
30.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our company has a dealer located in Kirkwood, not far from Mavrik. I mentioned this thread to Jim Summa and he said Igal is a stand-up guy (and Jim is as stand-up as they come) so no worries. Enjoy your experience!

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 4:08:11 PM
Author: John Pollard
Our company has a dealer located in Kirkwood, not far from Mavrik. I mentioned this thread to Jim Summa and he said Igal is a stand-up guy (and Jim is as stand-up as they come) so no worries. Enjoy your experience!

Thank you so much! That means a lot - I hope he sees this!

I have learned SO much about diamonds, just visiting this store. He doesn''t seem to mind all of our questions, and it''s been fascinating learning all about how the diamonds are cut.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 3:08:13 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/4/2009 3:01:50 PM
'Do they have a lot of nice things in there? it sure looks like it from their website! I want to go over some time, just to window shop. Is it worth the hour drive?'

Hi Ellen,

Thank you again! We went back last night and they have the most amazing diamond necklace! It's - I think - 30 carats, each one a little bit larger until they meet in the front. I've never seen anything like it. I got to try it on and felt like - well, pretty amazing. Igal is so friendly and low-key - he saw me admire the necklace and just got it out for me to try on. The store is definitely worth the drive. There was also a 26-carat aquamarine (?? - light blue, square) with diamonds all around it. It was hard to concentrate on my engagement ring design
26.gif
Holy mackeral, those pieces sound gorgeous (and BIG) Lori! And lucky you, getting to try that necklace on.
9.gif
5.gif

Thank you so much for letting me know how your visit went, I really appreciate that! And it sounds like we will have to take a lil drive in the near future....
31.gif

And you are very welcome!
Lori, in re-reading, I think we both got confused. Since you took what I said from the post where I highlighted Heffern Jewelers, I was thinking that's where you went when you tried the necklace on. But I think you meant the other jeweler now, correct?

And John, nice to know!

LoriK09

Rough_Rock
"Since you took what I said from the post where I highlighted Heffern Jewelers, I was thinking that''s where you went when you tried the necklace on. But I think you meant the other jeweler now, correct?"

Hi Ellen,
I think I''m the one who''s confused, sorry! Yes - I tried the necklace on at Mavrik Jewelry in Kirkwood. It was so breathtaking - I hated to take it off!

But the big news!!!! We bought my ring!! I am so excited - I will post a picture of it on my hand as soon as I get it. (I don''t know when that will be...it''s a "surprise
6.gif
)"
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 1:36:59 PM
''Since you took what I said from the post where I highlighted Heffern Jewelers, I was thinking that''s where you went when you tried the necklace on. But I think you meant the other jeweler now, correct?''

Hi Ellen,
I think I''m the one who''s confused, sorry! Yes - I tried the necklace on at Mavrik Jewelry in Kirkwood. It was so breathtaking - I hated to take it off!

But the big news!!!! We bought my ring!! I am so excited - I will post a picture of it on my hand as soon as I get it. (I don''t know when that will be...it''s a ''surprise
6.gif
)''
36.gif
Yay!! I can''t wait to see it Lori. Hang in there!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results