shape
carat
color
clarity

New Here, New To Rings, Did Some Resesrch.

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
Hey guys and gals,

Been with my Girlfriend for just about two years and I know she is the one. This past weekend we spent about 7 hours or so looking at engagement rings. We both want white gold, both with diamonds and both 14k.

My gf prefers and splint shank with a halo princess cut diamond. Before going I've done my due resesrch and decided to go back today to put some money down.

A bit about the ring - 14k band splint shank halo (.47 carat), princess cut (.63 carat), two white gold 14k wedding bands (.13 carat TW each).

Jewelry store was Elder Jewerly located in Lincoln Nebraska, family owned have had many friends go there with great reviews.

My price point was $3,000-3,500 for (engagement ring + diamond + setting the stone + wedding bands + GIA cert and Jewerly appraisal).

I've attached a picture of the engagement ring for you guys to look at. I know all about the four C's and how important the GIA report is and exactly where the imperfections of the diamond are.

A bit about the diamond: .63 carat, color H, clarity Si1.

For everything as I listed about I was quoted at $3,080.50

I'm planning to go back tomorrow to ask about financing as well as to see the imperfections on the diamond (hopefully not located on the face or table). The GIA report was an additional $180 out of pocket for the diamond and I'll demand that I have that report ASAP so we can look it up on the online website to find out the depth, cut quality etc. this Jewerly store are all certified by the GIA to be accurate in their diamond rating, however I've been told this Jewerly store is extra strict on their grading and the GIA report could very well be VS2 as he said it was on the border between Vs2 and Si1.

On price and everyThing I've listed how have I done as far as price etc?

Thanks,

Devin

_794.png

_1042.jpeg

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
I'll
Also get a picture of the diamond in the setting tomorrow / as soon as I can!

Thanks

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could easily be wrong and I hope someone else will chime in here, but...

That setting looks like it might have been designed to hold a round center stone, not a princess.

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
Yes please let me know everyone has that is the exact style of setting that she desires and has for the past year exactly to the T. I put money down to hold that ring as well as I paid for the GIA report of the diamond. If the setting isn't correct I hope they could either that exact one for a princess cut. More opinions wanted!

Thanks

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a little unusual to be asked to pay for a GIA report up front. There are thousands of certified diamonds in the market for you and your jeweler to access. What is the agreement with the jeweler should some aspect of the report not meet your expectations?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for comparison to see how you are doing cost wise?
Here is a similar setting...I'm not sure the quality of the ring you are looking at(it looks nice)...so you'll have to take that
into account.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-split-shank-princess-shape-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49477 $2010

Really cant find any princess cuts in that size range/specs but I would say you are doing pretty good as far as budget goes.

Inclusions...I know you dont want them on the table because you dont want to see them but you also need to make sure there
are not feathers on/near the corners (this can make a corner susceptible to cracking)...probably not an issue. But also wondering
like Texas Leaguer why you didnt just buy a GIA/AGS stone to start with?

Look at the stone in all kinds of different lighting. You should see mirrors flashing on/off under the table. Good luck and post
pictures when you get it.

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1449594353|3958993 said:
It's a little unusual to be asked to pay for a GIA report up front. There are thousands of certified diamonds in the market for you and your jeweler to access. What is the agreement with the jeweler should some aspect of the report not meet your expectations?

I have not paid for the ring in full just 10% down, the owners and works are all GIA certified and they do have GIA certified rings but told me they more $. But I am able to get my stone sent in to the GIA for a full report. I can back out as I paid $180 for the cert and just 10% down on the ring ($280). This is for a 6 month lay away.

Is the setting able to be used with a princess cut that will sit raised but squared to the corners or is my setting not the correct one. He told me I could use a princess cut but would sit different.

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
Ok went in today and upgraded to a .72 princess cut Vs1 color G for $500 with a cut of very good. If the diamond doesn't have a cut of atleast a very good I'll be given an excellent cut in same specs free of charge.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dmueller9834|1449608860|3959098 said:
Ok went in today and upgraded to a .72 princess cut Vs1 color G for $500 with a cut of very good. If the diamond doesn't have a cut of atleast a very good I'll be given an excellent cut in same specs free of charge.
You should be aware that GIA grades only rounds for overall cut. The GIA princess report contains only subgrades for polish and symmetry. Polish and symmetry can both be very good (ore even excellent) while at the same time actual light performance can be subpar.
If the jeweler has a good reputation, which you indicate they do, then presumably they won't provide you a badly cut stone. I still find it unusual that they are selling you an uncertified stone of this size, color and clarity and then asking you to pay to have it certified.

None of this is to say that you won't have a good outcome. It is just a bit of an unorthodox approach in this day and age.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'm selling a setting exactly like that for a 1 carat stone. If interested pm me. I think it is still on Preloved Ill see if I can find it asking $1000.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Diamond Platinum Halo Setting for 6.5 mm listed at Diamond bistro last year for 2500. now asking $1000

_797.png

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
So I got a call from the place where I got the ring. I was offered a better deal I believe.

The current diamond is: VS1, Color G, Cut / Symmetry / Polish were good to very good. Size is .72 points (carat)

New diamond that I was called about today is: VS2, Color F, Cut / Symmetry / Polish were all excellent / ideal. Fluorescence was none on the report. Comes with full GIA report (on hand) and it ranks higher then the other diamond on the rapaport report. Old diamond was a a 41, the new one even a while a level lower vs1 to vs2 it ranks at a 42.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dmueller9834|1450301454|3962408 said:
So I got a call from the place where I got the ring. I was offered a better deal I believe.

The current diamond is: VS1, Color G, Cut / Symmetry / Polish were good to very good. Size is .72 points (carat)

New diamond that I was called about today is: VS2, Color F, Cut / Symmetry / Polish were all excellent / ideal. Fluorescence was none on the report. Comes with full GIA report (on hand) and it ranks higher then the other diamond on the rapaport report. Old diamond was a a 41, the new one even a while a level lower vs1 to vs2 it ranks at a 42.
Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. If you post the GIA report number here you may get more specific feedback as members can look it up on the GIA website and see the details on the report.

Dmueller9834

Rough_Rock
ok I'll get that report number here and I'll post it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results