shape
carat
color
clarity

new here - any one from SA can comment on prices ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wanderer

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just found this after doing some reading on diamonds, becoz'' I''m thinkin'' the unthinkable (from a bachelor''s point-of-view, that is *grin*).

Question - I don''t know the cut, but I was quoted around R8500 for SI(1 I think), J, 0.5ct. The jeweller did have certificates - but at that point in time, I didn''t know enough to know what types are "real". So the question is: is that a decent price, should I ask further questions (cut , depth, etc).

Hopefully there are some SA people on these boards who can lead this poor fool to safety ?

CiaO

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Hi wanderer,

I am an ex-South African and have been living in California now for seven years.

Diamond prices are supposed to be roughly the same across the world, because they are controlled.

R8500 is about $1185. I did a search on Pricescope for a 0.5, J, SI1 and found three diamonds ranging in price between $744 and $991. Looks like your diamond is a little overpriced, unless the cut is really excellent. You definitely need to know more about the cut, as that is the most important "c".

Looks like you need to buy it here and save the 14% VAT as well...
1.gif

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I just thought of something - your R8500 quote probably already includes VAT. I assume it's still 14%? To have an apples-to-apples comparison we need to subtract the VAT, which gives R7310 or $1020. That is only $19 more than the highest priced diamond on Pricescope. So, depending on cut, it could be a fair price.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Wanderer
Just a point on certification. The South African Jewellery Council Certificate is by far the most accurate of those available in RSA
Groete
Wayne

wanderer

Rough_Rock
@hongerhond : yup , vat still (@#$%@#$) 14%.

@mdx : thanx - will note and check re: the cert's.

Anyone know whether there's duties for importing a single rock into SA ? Sounds kinda backwards to sit in SA, buy a diamond from outside SA, which probably came from SA, but if I can save R1000+, I'd be mad not too!

Still, I'll need to shop around - this was just the first reasonable (dare I use the word) place I'd seen.

Anyone know of decent/reputable appraiser's in Cape Town ?

CiaO & TiA

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Re Duties

Wanderer
Last I heard South African Diamond Board changed a levy of $50 per diamond imported, That could be Rands not sure
Best contact them as all diamond imports must go through the Board. You will find them at the SA Diamondcenter Doornfontein Johannesburg.
If you are going to import I would suggest you try one of the Pricescope Vendors.

Hoop alles werk vir jou
groete
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results