shape
carat
color
clarity

New here, and wondering about Russian or Chrome Diopside?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

braziliancitrine

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I was looking at a piece of jewelry a friend got from her Grandma''s estate, and to me,although I''m far from an expert, looks just like Russian Diopside. It''s in 14K gold, and I''m just wondering if there is a way to tell if it''s real- looking at it close, certain lighting, etc. Or would a jewler be able to "test" it somehow?

I suppose it could be green tourmaline, but when I was it I IMMEDIATELY thought of diopside. Oh, andshe''s selling it for 125.00

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
1.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no expert but I think that diopsides have more of an olive green tone to them. I have also heard that they are pretty soft so you might have to baby it. I''m guessing that an appraiser who specializes in gemstones could tell you for sure what it it. I think diposides are so gorgeous. I love the deep rich color. If you like the piece, jump on it! Is is a good price!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it I would get it since the price isn''t outrageous. It would be reasonable for either tourmaline or diopside. I think diopside tends to be darker than tourmaline but I am sure a gemologist could tell you what it was.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s the size and carat weight of the stone? There''s no really fool proof way to determine the type of gemstone by just eye balling it. If a jeweller has a dichtoscope and microscope, then yes. If you like it, $125 isn''t a lot for the stone because that''s the price of the setting right there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diopsides just tend to be on the soft side, so you just need to be careful when you''re wearing it.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2009 8:50:49 AM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
I''m no expert but I think that diopsides have more of an olive green tone to them.

There are several varieties of diopside, all with different hues. An example would be the trademarked diopside, Tashmarine, which has more of a yellowish-green hue. But chrome diopside has an exceptional fine green hue from the chromium. It''s soft but very pretty. It''s a great tsavorite garnet substitute.
Richard M.

braziliancitrine

Rough_Rock
Thank you all SO much for the replies and the advice! I think I will go ahead and purchase it. It is very pretty, and like someone mentioned, it is probably worth the money just for the setting ( if I''m wrong on the stone).

Thanks again:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results