shape
carat
color
clarity

New here! (And like everyone else) ... could use some help! =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Hi all...
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

So here's my situation. Met my current girlfriend a few yrs ago. Became "official" recently and nows the time to do what my name says. =P
Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with deep pockets, but I want to get her something she will love, because she definitely deserves it. I know I don't need to spend LOTS to get her something she'll like, but I want to make her happy, and however in my power it is to do, I will. (Aww.. too sappy.)
She's not the kind of person to be hung up on diamonds and jewelry, and even told me not get her anything "crazy" if I was ever to propose, but come on, she's a girl, and girls by nature can't deny the bling.

I want to get her something in the .8 - 1.0 carat range, ideal cut, E - I color, and VVS - VS clarity? I've done a fair amount of research and will probably shop around in the diamond district to see what they have to offer. I do want to consider buying online but am somewhat weary about it. How does the process work? I tried to "price" a diamond with the pricescope search, but how about the band, setting, etc? Do they just send me the diamond with which I then have to take to get a band for? HELP! =P

Also, I want to spend in the $4500 range... Is that even a reasonable (or possible) price for what I'm looking for?

Anything I can do to make her happy I guess...
Thanks for reading, and I hope to have a happy story to tell here in about a month when I visit her again and do the deed!
36.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Propose Guy, Regular Guy here,

Here''s one easy one to take a look at. If you like it, call the folks at GOG to work out the details on the setting. Maybe there''s some sort of good looking temporary one that''s fashioned all the time, minimizing this concern.

See also below my signature for more ideas.

Welcome to Pricescope!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
First off, let me just say I am not an expert. I am a guy that was just like you, did some research, and finally made my purchase this past month. I have not even received my ring yet. Most of the places that you can buy online have settings/rings you can choose from and will set the stone for you. Read reviews and ask people who they have done business with/ if they were satisfied. There are lots of posts that can help you out as to who you would want to use as a vendor. I went with whiteflash but that is just one of your many options. If you are concerned with the stone being eye clean, it is possible to find and eye clean SI 1 which would allow you to get a bigger diamond. I selected an I color, but it was a very well cut- whiteflash A Cut Above Collection. There are even some really good looking J''s and K''s on here, but most people would probably tell you to get an H or above for an engagement ring (just guessing on that). In addition, I would recommend that you send your stone to an independent appraiser before making your purchase. I''m sure someone on here can tell you how to get in contact with one. I went with Rockdoc, but I know there are others that are just as reputable. I was leary at first, but it will definately make sure that you are purchasing a good stone. Most vendors are willing to send it free of charge and all you have to pay is shipping and an appraisal fee- in my opinoin it is well worth it. As for buying online vs an actual store... I found that the major benefit of online was that you get such a wider selection and choice at a better price. However, online there is no financing option which you could get at a store. If you don''t have the cash or can''t get a low/no interest credit card... a B&M store might be a better option. Hope this helps.

luvthatstone

Rough_Rock
Hey guy

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not going to say stay away from the Diamond District in NYC, because there are some real good deals which that you may find. Just be sure to do your homework and don't be afraid to comparison shop. Remember, it's your hard earned cash and its to your benefit to look around at the different dealers while you're there.

If you're in the NYC area, I HIGHLY recommend you take a drive or the LIRR out to see the folks at Good Old Gold.

They are a Brick and Mortar vendor that just happens to have a website to show their beautiful diamonds. They also sell settings and can set the stone for you there.

Regarding your question about online vendors and settings, generally if you buy only the stone from the vendor, that's what you'll receive. Most online diamond vendors sell settings as well and will be happy to set the stone for you. But if you see a stone that you like at one vendor and see a setting you like from another, there's nothing stopping you from getting both. Usually, the vendor selling the setting will be more then happy to set your loose stone (for a fee). The only real downside to this is having to pack and ship your stone. Alternatively, you can buy the stone and setting from the different vendors, have them shipped to you separately and take them your local jeweler to set the stone in your setting.

Hope this helps!

In the meantime, here's a nice little stone from GOG which fits your budget and search qualifications; a nice .84 I/VS2

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2241/

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, ProposeGuy. When guys like you are out there learning and looking common PS advice is to spend as much as you can (your budget is very nice) on a beautiful well cut stone (but not necesarily the highest color) and get a very simple inexpensive setting which can for some later anniversary be upgraded with something she picks out. Also get the stone someplace that has a good upgrage policy since that may be something down the line too.

.8 to 1.00 will look substantial on a size 4 finger!

There are many success stories here to read about!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Just to clarify... was the $4,500 budget for the entire ring or just the stone? What type of setting were you considering?

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Whoa! Just got home from work, logged on and already see lots of good advice! Thanks everyone!

The $4500 is the overall budget, including the diamond, setting, etc. Somewhere in that range.

If I was to order it sometime next week, is it feasible to have the ring in my hand by the end of December? I''m planning on popping the big question on New Yrs eve.
9.gif

Also, thanks for the links to those 2 diamonds on Good Old Gold! Did you find those w/ the search function from this website? I''ll have to do some more searching and digging!
Again, can''t express my appreciation enough. This is a big step for me (as Im sure for all of you as well) and I want to make it as great an experience as possible, from the actual shopping for the ring to the MOMENT OF TRUTH.

Argh. Nervous.
25.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
If you choose a setting from their inventory (not a custom piece), a vendor should be able to get you the ring by the end of December. But I wouldn't rest on your laurels. Christmas is a very busy time to buy a diamond. The easiest thing to do, and to ensure you will get your ring on time, is to choose a setting you like and then buy a diamond from that vendor. It will save time if you don't have to deal with 2 vendors. And it is just a lot easier. I recommend you look at settings from Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, and James Allen, as you will be able to get a gorgous center stone from any of these.

http://www.whiteflash.com/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

http://www.jamesallen.com/

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
You probably don''t have time to get a custom piece. If you wanted to send the diamond to an appraiser that could add another week to the process so I would act as soon as you become comfortable with your decision. This is the busiest time of the year for them, so the sooner you start the better.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 8:01:41 PM
Author: ProposeGuy
Did you find those w/ the search function from this website?
Yep, I used the search by cut function, and drew from your criteria. Call the store to ask specifics on the time table.

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 8:28:38 PM
Author: the other Jake
You probably don''t have time to get a custom piece. If you wanted to send the diamond to an appraiser that could add another week to the process so I would act as soon as you become comfortable with your decision. This is the busiest time of the year for them, so the sooner you start the better.

By "custom piece," do you mean picking a loose diamond and setting? Are there good "already made" rings out there too?
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results