shape
carat
color
clarity

New here and a question about gauge...

Masik_Kolbasik

Rough_Rock
Hello, Ladies and Gents,
I am new here and have a question for you. I hope you jewelry makers can help me.
I want to make a necklace out of my Conch beads and my 18K yellow gold chain. All I need is to buy a 18K wire to make wire wraps for the beads. BUT I have no idea which gauge to choose, as I do not know what gauge is my existing chain. Is there a way I can find out/measure my chain's gouge?
Posted it in a Pearls section as my Conch are somewhere in that category, right? :)
Thank you in advance and Happy New Year!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this would be difficult to answer without knowing the size of the holes in the shells...that combined with weight and wire hardness will be factors I'd consider. Can you take the existing chain and shells to a local bead shop for advice?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An easy way to figure this out is to go to a local craft store that sells craft wire, bringing along a few of your pearls that have the smallest holes (if there is variation) and your chain. Locate some craft wire that is not in bubble packaging, and find the gauge that fits both your chain and your pearls. You should be able to test with a tail end of the wire.
To play it safe, and to avoid waste, buy a roll of craft wire and use it for practice before buying the 18K gold wire.

This is a book I like a lot about working with wire:

Making Wire & Bead Jewelry: Artful Wirework Techniques
by Janice Berkebile,‎ Tracy Stanley
https://www.amazon.com/Making-Wire-...&sr=1-1&keywords=making+wire+and+bead+jewelry

Masik_Kolbasik

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Ladies! I will stop by the crafts store! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results