shape
carat
color
clarity

New Fancy Shape Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!

We have an extensive new Fancy Shape tutorial, which includes guides for Princess, Radiant, Emerald, Asscher, Cushion, Oval, Pear, Marquise, and Trillion cut diamonds.

The world of fancy cuts is incredibly diverse, so this guide should provide some basic guidelines to get you started.

We welcome your suggestions and feedback.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/fancy-shape-diamonds/

Special thanks to Garry Holloway, Dave Atlas, John Pollard, and Karl K! I appreciate and value your input.

And special thanks to the PS'ers mentioned in this tutorial. Your gorgeous photos showcase wonderful examples of these shapes. Your participation on Pricescope is greatly appreciated!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coati! Thank you for this in depth tutorial- this is such a break through! Thank you to PS and everyone involved with the task of guiding us through fancy shape specifics. Bravo!!!
36.gif
I love this Place
1.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic! I just did a quick run through of it. Thank you so much.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fantastic - thank you to everyone who put this together!

If I can make one more suggestion: could you post some ASETs - good and bad - for each stone type, and do a little discussion on what to look for, common problem areas, etc.?

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the tutorial.

I''ve seen these charts when purchasing my radiant and have the same radiant chart in my file for my ring - so glad to see it on ps.

I''m wondering, what percentage of people who buy diamonds go for these fancy shapes, from articles I read there seem to be so many pros and cons with fancy shapes. I love my radiant, but I did notice most stones I see in daily life are round brilliants which face up larger, but I was so drawn to my radiant that even though it faced up smaller than a round of similiar carat weight I went for it. I''m wondering what''s the trend for these stones, who buys them? I feel a bit of an oddball, but I love it every day. Thanks for any insight into the market for these shapes.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Nice Coati! Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coati,
Great job, this is most helpful. Thank you!!!!!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SUPERB job Coaties!!!!!!!!!! This will be great to refer people to, thanks for all your hard work in doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Genius!

Excellent, in-depth tutorial, what a result.

Lotta work been done here and its superb. Thanks guys.

Po
x

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Great tutorial! I''m sure this will be of great help to anyone breaking out of the round diamond market
21.gif

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Wonderful job Coati!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Nice job, Coati! This will give people new to fancy shapes a good starting point.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coatie, thank you for the hard work and the fantastic job you did on this tutorial! I''m so happy that there is help now for fancy cuts.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Great job, Coati! I bet you put a lot of hard work into this tutorial.

I especially like the portion on Cushion Cuts! This is going to be helpful to so many people and will help to dispell the many myths about what qualities make a fancy shape desireable.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fantastic Tutorial; this will help many!!! Thank you!
36.gif
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thank you Miss Coati!

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great Job! Easy to understand for almost everyone!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2010 10:32:22 PM
Author: yssie
This is fantastic - thank you to everyone who put this together!

If I can make one more suggestion: could you post some ASETs - good and bad - for each stone type, and do a little discussion on what to look for, common problem areas, etc.?

Great suggestion yssie-will be taking a look at adding aset images and comparisons in the near future.

Appreciate the thoughts and suggestions everyone!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2010 1:13:14 PM
Author: jet2ks
Nice job, Coati! This will give people new to fancy shapes a good starting point.

Thanks jet2ks! Exactly-this is a starting point for new posters, lurkers, and others interested in fancies.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2010 1:50:28 AM
Author: Lorelei
SUPERB job Coaties!!!!!!!!!! This will be great to refer people to, thanks for all your hard work in doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks Miss!
35.gif

Our tutorials are all works in progress, so we welcome suggestions. We will be also adding different shapes to this tutorial in the future--including antique cuts.

Kimmaay

Rough_Rock
The tutorial is awesome Coati! I had been looking for that kind of comprehensive information for ages and I''m so glad you posted it, thanks so much!

greenspoon

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for posting. I am looking for a radiant and am a bit overwhelmed with all the variance.

Can anybody comment on why I am consistently seeing the "Ideal" Table/Depth range at 60-65%, however on some sites when I look for "Ideal" cut as part of my search parameter they are returning "Ideal" cut stones with a depth or Table % at 70-73%? I spoke with one online broker today that said their range for an "Ideal" cut stone was 66-75%, that doesnt even INCLUDE the "Ideal" range I am seeing in cut charts.

I would LOVE to hear thoughts.

Thanks!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
WOO!!! I JUST READ THE TUTORIAL...

I AM HONORED THAT MY PEAR RING IS LISTED/POSTED WITH A LINK IN THE PEAR CUT TUTORIAL... *SWOON*

WONDERFUL JOB!!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
coati: Just wanted to say Thank You for putting this together. I have a post looking for random suggestions regarding the marquise cut and what owners may have done differently regarding their purchase. Your information is a wonderful start for me to help a young couple find the stone that is right for them. I know this was a lot of work to put together. Great job and THANK YOU!!
36.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Awesome!!! Thanks for creating this! It was a big help in trying to pick out my new asscher!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.
It''s wonderful to have help with these cuts, especially the Asscher.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
good job putting it together.
The asscher and EC sections need a total rewrite when I find time.....
downgrading for high crowns is not right.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/4/2010 5:21:14 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Date: 2/4/2010 4:02:09 PM

Author: Karl_K

Please send Coati and I a suggested draft Karl
Will do, it has been on my todo list for over a year.
It is time to move it up on the list.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/4/2010 4:02:09 PM
Author: Karl_K

Thanks Karl

The AGA guidelines are courtesy of Dave Atlas, and in the intro, it's stated that these are general parameters to be used as a basic rejection guide for beginners. There are always exceptions to general guidelines, as with your Octavia. That is why we clarified that fancies, generally, should be seen rather than judged by stringent written parameters.

We welcome your input, so send it over!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results