carat
color
clarity

New England Summer Vacations

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

If you like to vacation at the Cape or in Maine -- where do you like to travel to? Do you go to the same town every year?

I LOVE planning vacations, especially searching for a house to rent. We haven't vacationed in Maine yet, so was thinking of switching from our regular Cape vacation or maybe going somewhere different on the Cape -- any Osterville fans here? Or maybe staying near a pond instead of the bay?

Other destinations?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to go to Ogunquit and Boothbay Harbor Maine When our kids were young. We always walked the Marginal Way in Ogunquit. It’s a coastal paved pathway along the Atlantic coastline, absolutely stunning views! Boothbay is a charming coastal village. I’m sure it’s become a lot more touristy over the years, but the harbor is beautiful and the boat tours are fun.
I’m getting hungry for a lobster roll, yum!

Martha’s Vineyard is wonderful too as is Nantucket!

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
We used to go to Ogunquit and Boothbay Harbor Maine When our kids were young. We always walked the Marginal Way in Ogunquit. It’s a coastal paved pathway along the Atlantic coastline, absolutely stunning views! Boothbay is a charming coastal village. I’m sure it’s become a lot more touristy over the years, but the harbor is beautiful and the boat tours are fun.
I’m getting hungry for a lobster roll, yum!

Martha’s Vineyard is wonderful too as is Nantucket!

@Bonfire...Visited Ogunquit last Summer, so beautiful! To me, wasn’t as commercialized as MV or Nantucket. Would go again in a heartbeat.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Portland, Maine is great. Acadia National Park is beautiful and a must see!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Acadia National Park and Camden and Kennebunkport . Also love Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. And we never miss going to Provincetown if we are in the area. I don't know if the B&B we used to stay in is/was still around but it was called the Lands End Inn and it is/was amazing. It was like entering Narnia. Magical. OK I think it is still in business! A must go IMO. Romantic and special. It was where Greg and I first fell heads over heels in love I think. We stayed in many of the different rooms there but my favorite was the suite where the bedroom had a skylight over the bed and the rain pouring down was so peaceful and lovely when we were first waking up one morning. I will never forget that.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.40.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 7.39.51 AM.png

We do not go to New England during summer time however (too crowded for us) and we vacation there in the autumn generally though it has been a long time since we made our annual autumn New England trip. We used to do it every year for about 12 years straight. Love New England in the autumn.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We, also, used to go to Boothbay Harbor every year. We went on the weekend after Labor Day before our daughter was born and before she started school, however. It was far more pleasant after Labor day when the worst crowds were gone. For many years we stayed at the privately owned "Smuggler's Cove Inn" which was (and still is) on a separate branch of peninsula from the main drag. It offers a little more quiet and privacy and is also (or at least was) dog friendly. The family that owned it eventually sold it, however,

When we stayed there we often drove out on the peninsula next to the one on which Boothbay Harbor is located, the one on which the town of Damariscotta is located. It is less (or was less) full of tourist attractions. At the end of the peninsula is a lighthouse and some cliffs with one tiny restaurant. All around you are only green fields. It is really lovely.

"A Taste of Maine" restaurant is not far (Maine distances) from Boothbay Harbor and is a nice seafood restaurant.

Bar Harbor is a bit of a drive from Boothbay Harbor, but eventually we started to split our vacations so that we started out in Boothbay Harbor where we spent a few days, drove up to Bar Harbor, where we stayed at The Bluenose Inn (our daughter loved it because it had indoor and outdoor pools) and then returned to Boothbay Harbor for few days before we went home.

We loved Acadia National Park. My husband and I did some very amateur climbing and we always had lemonade (you mix your own sugar water into fresh lemon juice and water) on Jordan Pond...where popovers and jam are served.

The most dramatic visit we had to Bar Harbor was when our daughter, at age five, got acute appendicitis there. I drove all over to doctors' offices; clinic; and hospitals as physicians and PAs said she couldn't have appendicitis and she continued to get worse. Finally the hospital called in a surgeon...who said we had to operate immediately. (And I can assure you that pushing on McBurney's spot to see if the patient reacts is not an accurate test for appendicitis, nor is having him jump up and down.) Although this was an anomaly, I can heartily recommend Mt Desert Isle Hospital. We had a surgeon with excellent training from Boston.

Maine is beautiful!

Edited to add: I looked up the original owners of The Smugglers Cove Inn and was extremely moved that the "Dr. McCarthy" who originally owned it had, after losing a son to schizophrenia, set up a foundation to help he mentally ill and homeless. That is the population with which I worked as a social worker.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results